Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    868
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rear Facing Camera - Garmin VIRB?

    Anyone have a rear facing Garmin Virb?

    What mount did you use?

    I want to get one because of the sync features with my Edge 1000, especially the sync'ed auto pause.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    One with square wheels
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basic virb is 104 on amazon right now. The virb elite is still like 250.

    I have the virb elite and the extra features are not quite worth the price tag when you can get the SAME camera specs for 150$ less, and if you are spending 250 on a camera I would go with the fly6 camera.

    And a rear facing camera that stops recording when you are stopped...it would be very sad if someone rear ended you at a stop sign or stop light and you have your camera set to be off. Or if you have an accident and the camera only catches the accident and none of the post accident conversation/events because your bike stopped moving. Just saying

    Also check out the rideye.

    As far as seat post or saddle mounts....I know k-edge makes a saddle rail mount, personally I think it is kinda ugly. Any gopro seat post mount will work as well.
    Girlfriend:$$$$
    Bike:$$$$$$$$$$$

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    868
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks.

  4. #4
    Thread Killer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,422
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm View Post

    And a rear facing camera that stops recording when you are stopped...it would be very sad if someone rear ended you at a stop sign or stop light and you have your camera set to be off. Or if you have an accident and the camera only catches the accident and none of the post accident conversation/events because your bike stopped moving. Just saying
    True, but don't forget there are other reasons someone may run a rear mount camera other than to sit around waiting for an event which is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

    I've seen some awfully cool ride and race videos with both front and rear cam views; having sync'd auto-pause would be great for matching up files. Same if you wanted to make a trainer video of an actual ride with time appropriate power targets.
    Chaad--'95 DeKerf Team SL, '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '05 Novara Buzz, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '06 Mountain Cycle Rumble, '09 Dahon Mariner D7, '12 Mercier Nano, '12 Breezer Venturi

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up that Virb at around $100 on Amazon as well, too good to pass up. Don't think the additional features on the elite are worth it at all. I'm just waiting on my dual mount from k-edge to put it on my bike. As for a rear facing mount, k-edge makes one that attaches to your seat rails that seems like it would be a great option. If you ride with a saddle bag, you'd have to ditch it though. I haven't seen anything that mounts to your seat post, that would be a great solution depending on the shape of your post.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    One with square wheels
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
    True, but don't forget there are other reasons someone may run a rear mount camera other than to sit around waiting for an event which is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

    I've seen some awfully cool ride and race videos with both front and rear cam views; having sync'd auto-pause would be great for matching up files. Same if you wanted to make a trainer video of an actual ride with time appropriate power targets.
    I think it would be awesome to have a rear camera snap pictures every 3 seconds during a marathon or race or have it recording slow motion or make a training vid or something. The point of a camera is to record, both the good and the bad. Yes accidents are the big IF, but IF someone rear ends you while you're stopped and takes off/claims it was not their fault, you will feel VERY foolish because it is far too easy to cover that base since you are already 90% of the way there.

    And making videos takes a long time as it is. Saving 20-30 minutes is not worth it, to me at least. But that is all I am going to beat this dead horse.



    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I picked up that Virb at around $100 on Amazon as well, too good to pass up. Don't think the additional features on the elite are worth it at all. I'm just waiting on my dual mount from k-edge to put it on my bike. As for a rear facing mount, k-edge makes one that attaches to your seat rails that seems like it would be a great option. If you ride with a saddle bag, you'd have to ditch it though. I haven't seen anything that mounts to your seat post, that would be a great solution depending on the shape of your post.
    Want to send me a PM on how you like the combo mount? I decided on the barfly mount. It works great flipped up like they have it advertised but flipped upside down it gets tangled in the cables. It is not very bad, just enough to slightly push the camera up at the gopro adapter joint. I have not ridden with it but I do think a few bumps may move the camera away from where you actually want it.

    After looking at the pictures of the combo mount I think the mount, more or less, places the virb in the same spot and you may be hitting your cables if you have external routing on your handlebars (I have 5700 w/normal external routing bars)
    Girlfriend:$$$$
    Bike:$$$$$$$$$$$

  7. #7
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm View Post
    I think it would be awesome to have a rear camera snap pictures every 3 seconds during a marathon or race or have it recording slow motion or make a training vid or something. The point of a camera is to record, both the good and the bad. Yes accidents are the big IF, but IF someone rear ends you while you're stopped and takes off/claims it was not their fault, you will feel VERY foolish because it is far too easy to cover that base since you are already 90% of the way there.

    And making videos takes a long time as it is. Saving 20-30 minutes is not worth it, to me at least. But that is all I am going to beat this dead horse.





    Want to send me a PM on how you like the combo mount? I decided on the barfly mount. It works great flipped up like they have it advertised but flipped upside down it gets tangled in the cables. It is not very bad, just enough to slightly push the camera up at the gopro adapter joint. I have not ridden with it but I do think a few bumps may move the camera away from where you actually want it.

    After looking at the pictures of the combo mount I think the mount, more or less, places the virb in the same spot and you may be hitting your cables if you have external routing on your handlebars (I have 5700 w/normal external routing bars)
    I don't have the mount yet, should be delivered Friday. My cables are routed under the bar tape...



    I think I'm also going to get a new mount for my road bike and do the same, the dual mount should be almost identical to this earlier model K-edge which I wish had the ability to simply mount the camera attachments to that you can by from K-edge for 2nd generation mounts, the original models didn't have a plastic insert which is what the mount screws into....


  8. #8
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regarding the video stopping to record when you stop, is that only if you have it linked to your Garmin computer via the remote feature? Couldn't you just mount the Virb, toggle the record switch and it would continue recording until you toggled it off? I haven't messed around with this too much since getting it the other day but I'm not so sure it would stop recording when you come to a stop.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pleasanton,CA
    My Bikes
    2 Road 1 MTB
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even by using standby.. battery life is not that long on a virb (sub 3hours) For the rear I use a Fly6.. rideye ordered as part of the kickstarted campaign (been awhile). I only use the Virb (elite) when I want to record for making a video afterwords. So I will continue to use the Fly6 for the rear and Rideye for the front when it comes in...as the normal everyday setup.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    even by using standby.. battery life is not that long on a virb (sub 3hours) For the rear I use a Fly6.. rideye ordered as part of the kickstarted campaign (been awhile). I only use the Virb (elite) when I want to record for making a video afterwords. So I will continue to use the Fly6 for the rear and Rideye for the front when it comes in...as the normal everyday setup.
    Those are very nice options and compact as well. Thanks for pointing them out. I may get that rear light eventually.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pleasanton,CA
    My Bikes
    2 Road 1 MTB
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Those are very nice options and compact as well. Thanks for pointing them out. I may get that rear light eventually.
    my fly6 is the kickstarter version... so it's a little larger then the one they sell now.. Sometimes I wish I waited. The newer fly6 has more lumens too, but @ 249 not worth upgrading.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    my fly6 is the kickstarter version... so it's a little larger then the one they sell now.. Sometimes I wish I waited. The newer fly6 has more lumens too, but @ 249 not worth upgrading.
    I picked up a few things from kickstarter for my bikes as well. That spurcycle bell for my hybrid and a front and rear set of the sparse spacer lights that I put on my single speed/fixed gear bike. Some great finds on there for sure.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pleasanton,CA
    My Bikes
    2 Road 1 MTB
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I picked up a few things from kickstarter for my bikes as well. That spurcycle bell for my hybrid and a front and rear set of the sparse spacer lights that I put on my single speed/fixed gear bike. Some great finds on there for sure.
    nah I hate kickstarter.. fly6 is the only thing I have ... the rest I am still waiting for and other things got delayed so long...they will be nearly useless when I get them. No more KSers for me.

    The reason I have a Virb is because Rideye was delayed..
    Jyrobike is a nightmare and I can't get a refund.. on and on

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Cali
    My Bikes
    One with square wheels
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    I don't have the mount yet, should be delivered Friday. My cables are routed under the bar tape...
    My cables go under the bartape as well and its the circled ones you may have problems with. But who knows, maybe the k-edge places the virb infront of them.

    And to get back on track with this thread, this is the saddle mount from k-edge




    Another reason I suggested the fly6/rideye is because the saddle rail mount takes away the ability to use a saddle bag. But thats only a problem if you use one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Girlfriend:$$$$
    Bike:$$$$$$$$$$$

  15. #15
    Senior Member Gus90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago (suburbs)
    My Bikes
    A few too many
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my K-edge mount but I'm waiting on the bottom go-pro attachment that will also work with the Virb. I'm estimating the distance here but basically I think it will clear my cables for the most part. I'm thinking the XL K-Edge dual mount would be better but the reason I didn't order it is I have a Garmin 810 and I like having it as close to my bars as possible rather than what would be a bit of a large gap with the XL mount. If I thought I was going to upgrade to the 1000 anytime soon, I'd probably have gotten the XL.

    My biggest concern is that the K-edge arm itself pushes down on the hydraulic brake cable. Over time, I worry that it's going to wear right through it. That could be a potential disaster.

    Attachment 421484
    Last edited by Gus90; 12-06-14 at 06:54 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    868
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine up and running last night. Very slick how you cab slave one to the other and then use the Edge 1000 as a remote control for the synchronized pair. Also, the VIRB Edit software with GPX info overlays is too cool. Can't wait to edit the first ride video together this evening with all my computer stats included.

    I put my main VIRB on the front using my K-Edge XL Garmin/GoPro combo mount. I had to use the GoPro to Garmin adapter that came in the mixed accessories pack. Wish it had two of them in there so I could use my GoPro seatpost mount to mount the rear/extended VIRB; but I'll have to wait for my Garmin saeatpost kit to arrive. I hope it is as good of quality as the GoPro stuff is.

    What are the optimal settings for recording video on the rides? I'd like to have high enough quality that I can read license plates, but want to use as little battery as possible.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    868
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what the front mount looks like:


  18. #18
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,476
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sample videos?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jarrett2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    DFW
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    868
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up moving my rear mount. I bought the K-Edge saddle mount and used a couple of the adapters from the Garmin miscellaneous accessories pack to put this together. I didn't want to lose my under saddle bag, but I didn't like the vibrations and angle of having the VIRB attached to the frame. So this is my current compromise:



    He is some video from when it was attached to my frame. It's during a slight decent where I decided to have some fun:



    I'm hoping that moving my rear-facing VIRB to the saddle will reduce that vibration some. We'll see.

  20. #20
    Senior Member CanadianBiker32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding on your Garmin Vibe. when you order do you find the mounts very durable? I like to get one for rear facing camera? is this a good camera?
    would mounting the camera under my seat, does the seat mounts come with camera?
    should i get the case for the Vibe as i ride in Winter in snow? or is camera very durable? thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •