Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    Gazelle toer popular t8 1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    80 lux Cyo premium Vs . 70/90 lux Luxos U

    Just swapped out the Cyo on my Gazelle with a Luxos U and thought I'd share the differences.

    The Cyo achieves full brightness quicker, but its deceptive because the Luxos progressive lighting starts out brighter in the near field, and gradually becomes brighter in the distance as speed increases.

    At speeds over 10 mph I can't tell the difference in brightness between the two when the Luxos is on low, when the high beam is activated the Luxos is noticeably brighter than the Cyo, not a huge difference, but definitely improves surface definition, and isn't washed out by oncoming headlights. The daytime running lights seem to be about the same as the Cyo.

    The Luxos spread of light is a lot wider than the Cyo, at nearly 90 deg., it really improves the field of view in curves and turns. It has the sharp cutoff like the Cyo, but has more spill above the cutoff making road signs clearly visible. The high beam sends even more light over the cutoff, but not like an off road flood light.

    The remote switch is really convenient, allowing one to easily turn the light on and off, and toggle between high and low beam, the rear light monitor lamp is a nice feature that lets one know their tail light is working. the remote also allows one to turn the stand light up to full brightness when stopped, or flash the high beam in daylight when its in daytime running light mode.

    I haven't used the USB charging function yet, when I get a mount I will see how well it keeps my phone charged while running the GPS app.

    Overall I'm really pleased with it, and at $150 from Holland bike shop with shipping, its a good value. http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycl...u-auto-sensor/
    Last edited by kickstart; 03-01-15 at 03:26 PM.

  2. #2
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    21,841
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review. But can you please fix your link? It's to your (or really my) shopping cart, not the item.
    I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter. --Blaise Pascal

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    Gazelle toer popular t8 1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Thanks for the review. But can you please fix your link? It's to your (or really my) shopping cart, not the item.
    Link fixed (I think), The prices listed are with VAT which is automatically deducted when put in shopping cart and destination country set to the US.

    Found a new feature, the speed where it transitions from near field to standard lighting can be set by riding at the speed desired while depressing the on/off button for 10 seconds.

    And a couple of corrections, the remote switch allows the high beam to be flashed when the light is totally off, or turn on the high beam when in daytime running light mode.
    Last edited by kickstart; 03-01-15 at 03:40 PM.

  4. #4
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    21,841
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's impressive! Can you supply beam shots, or do they exist somewhere?
    I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter. --Blaise Pascal

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    Gazelle toer popular t8 1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Wow, that's impressive! Can you supply beam shots, or do they exist somewhere?
    Still haven't figured out how to do photos with my new computer.........But the beam shots on Peter Whites site are good approximations of the standard and near field illumination.
    headlight beams from Peter White Cycles

  6. #6
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    21,841
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a heck of a page. For all that work, he deserves some of my business.
    I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter. --Blaise Pascal

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  7. #7
    apocryphal sobriquet J.C. Koto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Star City, NE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review.

    The Cyo Premium has a pretty decently wide beam so I'd also be interested in a comparison. One thing I wish the Cyo Premium had was an easy way to lower the output because even with the beam cutoff it can be a bit annoying to oncoming people on a narrow trail if you hit a bump or go over a small rise in the pavement. I've considered adding a small switch between the dynamo and the light to cut the power circuit leaving the light in standlight mode but it dawned on me that turning it back on might suddenly put too much of a load and fry the lamp if it's switched while in motion.

    I wonder if they're using some kind of buffer with the Luxos or how it works to shift between high and low beams. Are there additional LEDs for the high beam?

    edit: just noticed you can put high-beam on when stopped so there probably is some kind of buffer, but that raises another question: can you run at full-brightness all the time while in motion or does it only work for short periods of time between uses before the buffer needs to recharge?
    Last edited by J.C. Koto; 03-02-15 at 11:03 PM.
    Avid proponent of ISO 8601

  8. #8
    apocryphal sobriquet J.C. Koto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Star City, NE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha, I think I've found a pretty good comparison:

    This is the Cyo Premium beam spread. I have the lamp and can confirm it's pretty accurate:


    Here is the non-premium Cyo and the Luxos:


    Looks like the luxos is about twice as wide at 10 meters as the Cyo Premium but then narrows a bit around 15-17m. Would you say that's pretty accurate, kickstart? Also, do you think this graphic applies to riding with the high beam or normally?
    Last edited by J.C. Koto; 03-02-15 at 11:18 PM.
    Avid proponent of ISO 8601

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    Gazelle toer popular t8 1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Koto View Post
    Thanks for the review.

    The Cyo Premium has a pretty decently wide beam so I'd also be interested in a comparison. One thing I wish the Cyo Premium had was an easy way to lower the output because even with the beam cutoff it can be a bit annoying to oncoming people on a narrow trail if you hit a bump or go over a small rise in the pavement. I've considered adding a small switch between the dynamo and the light to cut the power circuit leaving the light in standlight mode but it dawned on me that turning it back on might suddenly put too much of a load and fry the lamp if it's switched while in motion.

    I wonder if they're using some kind of buffer with the Luxos or how it works to shift between high and low beams. Are there additional LEDs for the high beam?

    edit: just noticed you can put high-beam on when stopped so there probably is some kind of buffer, but that raises another question: can you run at full-brightness all the time while in motion or does it only work for short periods of time between uses before the buffer needs to recharge?
    The daytime running lights go out in normal night mode rather than dimming like the Cyo so there's less glare, the "high beam" is essentially the main beam emitter and the DRL emitters all on at full output, and will stay on for 15 minutes while riding before the lithium cache battery needs to be recharged by riding in normal mode.

    There isn't an option to run the stand light as a running light, but its possible to set the near field threshold to cut off the main beam at any desired speed, a bit awkward but it would work.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    Gazelle toer popular t8 1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Koto View Post
    Aha, I think I've found a pretty good comparison:

    This is the Cyo Premium beam spread. I have the lamp and can confirm it's pretty accurate:


    Here is the non-premium Cyo and the Luxos:


    Looks like the luxos is about twice as wide at 10 meters as the Cyo Premium but then narrows a bit around 15-17m. Would you say that's pretty accurate, kickstart? Also, do you think this graphic applies to riding with the high beam or normally?
    I would say the graphics are fairly accurate from what I've observed, but never noticed that narrow section at 15-17 m, I suspect one would have to do a side by side to observe it . The pattern is basically the same in both modes, as I mentioned the high beam really isn't a high beam in the traditional sense like you would expect on a car, it basically brightens the overall pattern and throws a bit more light to the perimeters.

  11. #11
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never noticed the change at 15 meters either. I guess it's just not that important

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •