Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Biking Madrid to Barcelona -- nice or crazy?

    I want to bike from Madrid to Barcelona.
    Am I naive about that trip? I don't see that ride posted anywhere, does that mean it's all highways and not doable by bike?

  2. #2
    biciclista girona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddierex View Post
    I want to bike from Madrid to Barcelona.
    Am I naive about that trip? I don't see that ride posted anywhere, does that mean it's all highways and not doable by bike?
    I just replied to your other post. It's doable, of course, here is a possible route that someone has already done:
    http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2276763
    I guess it's not a very popular route for cycletourists.


    I use wikiloc and bikeroutetoaster.com to plan cycling routes.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful, thanks. That's what I was looking for, a realistic take on that route, so thanks. I'll look up your links now.

    I guess we'll ride along the coast out of Barcelona instead. Maybe doesn't sound as cool, but a couple of weeks on bikes in Spain sounds fun to me no matter where we start.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddierex

    Did you do the Madrid to Barca trip? We are doing a charity gig early 2014. Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - Bruxelles - Amsterdam - London.

    We have done much initial scoping as we are attempting the distance in 16 days. Madrid to Barca is the unknown at present as little data is available. Do you have info?

    Best regards

    Goody

  5. #5
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodyBlueShoes View Post
    Eddierex

    Did you do the Madrid to Barca trip? We are doing a charity gig early 2014. Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - Bruxelles - Amsterdam - London.

    We have done much initial scoping as we are attempting the distance in 16 days. Madrid to Barca is the unknown at present as little data is available. Do you have info?

    Best regards

    Goody

    Barcelona, Barna, BCN. Never Barca, unless you're talking football. ;-)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    madrid to barcelona

    Nope, we didn't do that trip. When I researched it, turns out there's a reason few people do it -- it's all highways, it's really difficult to plot out a route that works well.

    We ended up taking the train from Madrid to Barcelona, then biking along the Catalonian coast toward France -- and that trip was one of the best of my life. So beautiful, medieval castles, white beaches, amazing food, different culture, even the language is slightly different.

    Again, the highways around Barcelona are difficult to navigate, so we ended up taking the train out of Barcelona a short ways, then biking, once we got to the road that hugs the coast.

    Cannot recommend it highly enough. Tossa de Mar is phenomenally romantic and beautiful.


    Quote Originally Posted by GoodyBlueShoes View Post
    Eddierex

    Did you do the Madrid to Barca trip? We are doing a charity gig early 2014. Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - Bruxelles - Amsterdam - London.

    We have done much initial scoping as we are attempting the distance in 16 days. Madrid to Barca is the unknown at present as little data is available. Do you have info?

    Best regards

    Goody

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    barcelona north along the coast

    Quote Originally Posted by lucille View Post
    Barcelona, Barna, BCN. Never Barca, unless you're talking football. ;-)
    Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.

  8. #8
    Senior Member lucille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddierex View Post
    Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.
    Sounds wonderful, thanks. I'll make a ote for next time. :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much off roading you want to do and how adventurous you want to be. You could take backroads, farm roads, etc. and probably never see a car. The highways that are smaller are still pretty dangergous for cyclists because most don't have shoulders.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Barcelona
    My Bikes
    Merida SUB 40, Dahon Eco 6
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from Catalonia, and the catalan coastal route is really beautiful. Going from Madrid to Barcelona is not something I'd recommend, though. In summer you'll cook yourself to death and I can't think of a safe way of doing it, besides just looking for minor roads.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    My Bikes
    Dunlup Special Edition Mountain bike
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddierex View Post
    Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.
    So it is doable, just difficult? might give it a go and see for myself.
    Perfect little place for cyclists in Mallorca. http://www.yourplacetostay.com/

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eddierex View Post
    Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.
    Eddie,


    I am planning on doing a similar trip in a couple of months and I was wondering if you had a GPS file of your route. Also any other tips or advice you have would be great.


    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •