Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Townie or Specialized

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Townie or Specialized

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 21d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Townie or Specialized

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but am sure glad I found it. Here's my long winded question: I'm about to purchase a new bike, and right now it looks like it'll be either a Townie or a Specialized. In either case, I need a low step through and feet on the ground style. I'm short (5'2"), age 71. Although I rode quite a bit when much younger, those years are gone. As I was coming back from cancer, my husband convinced me cycling would help me regain my health. He was right. The best I could handle was a 24" Townie, 3speed. Now, however, I'm up to 40 mile rides, and need more than what my beloved little Townie can give me. Oh yes, I only ride the rail trails. Has anybody here had experience with these two to have an opinion which would be better for the 40 to 50 mile rides I want to do? Is the Specialized lighter weight and therefore easier for distances? Does it roll better? I'll be going to a bike shop and asking all the questions, but I'd like to ask first here, knowing whoever answers won't be trying to sell me a bike. Thanking you in advance.
Old 03-26-15, 10:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
What model Specialized bike are you considering?
Old 03-27-15, 06:09 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As BD said, which model Spec are you looking at, if you have any specific one in mind as of yet? My wife is short, too, she is 5'-3", and she rides a WSD (Women's Specific Design) Trek 7300 Hybrid. Unless its a structural issue you have that keeps you from raising your legs over the top tube of a diamond frame bicycle, the conventional frames are available in fairly low top tube dimensions.

Depending on which model you look at, step over heights can be pretty low, especially on a compact geometry/sloped top tube frameset. It sounds like you have gotten beyond what the Townie type bicycle offers, maybe a straight bar, hybrid set-up, is what you should look at. Most all the manufacturers have such a bicycle in their line-ups, and in a Women's, or Feminine, geometry design.

Best of luck, your husband was right about cycling, as you seem to have found, too. It worked for a lot of us here in the 50+. Welcome to the Forum, also.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-27-15, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have structural issues - poor hip rotation. Thus the need for low step through. The Specialized I am looking at is a Specialized Expedition low entry women's bike. It has 7 speeds. However there's a Townie 21D that might interest me. As I continue to learn about appropriate bikes, I'm seeing several other brands: Raleigh, Globe, perhaps others. I will talk to the staff at the bike shop and test ride whichever bikes they have available. For me, there are so many choices, it seems. and I don't have the background to determine which is best. It'll probably be the last bike I ever buy, and I want to get it right and continue riding as long as possible.
Old 03-27-15, 07:42 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I may be uninformed, but I am not aware of any bike in the Specialized line-up where you can have your saddle adjusted for efficient pedaling and still be able to stop with your feet on the ground while in the saddle, so I think with your requirements, the Electra line is your best bet.

Weight isn't a big issue on rail trail rides, but it could help very slightly to have a lighter bike for any minor up hill sections. In looking at the Electra site, I would consider one of the Townies, Ticinos or Lofts. Find out which is lighter, and by how much, and if there is a price difference whether it is worth it to you. Also test riding each (if you can) would be helpful to determine what feels best for you.

For rail trail riding, one of the 7 or 8 speed models should be fine, if you do any riding with more climbing, you might want to step up to 21 speeds or higher.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-15, 10:55 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
You may want to consider upgrading your current bike to an 8-speed hub.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-27-15, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Are your rail trails paved or unpaved?
Can you change a tire if your life depended on it?

40 miles rides are getting to be pretty long rides.

I think I would consider one of the Mixte bikes. There are quite a few old ones around, that could be picked up cheaply on Craigslist, and either ridden, restored, or rebuilt. However, I believe a couple of brands are still making them.
Viva Legato 7 Mixte Step Through
Adrenaline Bikes Soma Mixte
Adrenaline Bikes Soma Mixte Custom

As far as "the last bike ever". Some of the cheaper bikes have low end bearings that wear quicker, especially if you're putting a lot of miles on the bikes. Perhaps other cheap components. So, bargain may not equate to longevity.
Old 03-27-15, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a step thru is not really necessary. You can be shown how to take a standard top tube bike and lay it down, then straddle the bike and pick it up. You should not be able to sit on the saddle and reach the ground on any bike that is properly set up for riding. If you can reach the ground while on the saddle, the pedals are not set up right and are putting unnecessary strain on your knees. If I am misunderstanding what you are saying, my apologies.
Test ride the bikes you are considering and get the one that feels the best to you.
Old 03-27-15, 12:48 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Another brand of flat foot/crank forward bikes to look into is RANS. (RANS Bikes | Home)
Generally higher performance than Electra and the others, but also more expensive and with fewer dealers.
Old 03-27-15, 12:50 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
a step thru is not really necessary. You can be shown how to take a standard top tube bike and lay it down, then straddle the bike and pick it up. You should not be able to sit on the saddle and reach the ground on any bike that is properly set up for riding. If you can reach the ground while on the saddle, the pedals are not set up right and are putting unnecessary strain on your knees. If I am misunderstanding what you are saying, my apologies.
Test ride the bikes you are considering and get the one that feels the best to you.
This is true for all standard bikes, but not for Electras with their crank forward design (and there may be another exception or two around). They are designed specifically to allow flat footed stops in the saddle with a reasonable pedal position relative to the saddle. To me they don't look comfortable, but I have never tried one.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-27-15, 12:52 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
SBI Inc. , Specialized Bike Imports is a company name ,, a whole bunch of stuff is in their brand line .

Have you gone to a dealer that carries that Bike Brand and Test Rode Any?

Ditto the "Townie " where ever they import those From.. at that dealership.

Have any specific models in Mind and the Website links to them to Post?

Yes I have done a step over the bike and pick it up undeneathe me when My leg hurt to swing it over the back..

Now I ride a folding Bike a Lot , functionally a easy step thru. Bike Friday hand makes great Bikes in the US of that Type.

they are as capable of 40 mile rides as others , can be perfectly sized to fit shorter people ( no big front wheel to compromise the fit needs)

and the advantages are in ease of carrying them In the Boot

to go ride someplace Pleasant ... and take up less room on the house, with their smaller wheels.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-27-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-27-15, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Another brand of flat foot/crank forward bikes to look into is RANS. (RANS Bikes | Home)
Generally higher performance than Electra and the others, but also more expensive and with fewer dealers.
Now, those are odd looking. But, that does bring up another option. The tadpole recumbent trikes. They could be very expensive, but might be appropriate for certain individuals.
Old 03-27-15, 05:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thank you for your expertise, and I've visited one of the two bike shops today.

Low end: I'll have to stay low end. That's the reality. I'll have to deal with those limitations. Also, I'm not a bike connoisseur. I'll buy the best I can from one of two local shops, learning as much as I can, and letting it go at that. At least I know not to buy at a big box store. Perhaps in my next incarnation I'll get an earlier start...

feet on the ground and leg extension: I don't literally have both feet flat on the ground, but I do make sure my toes touch the ground when seated. With my age and flexibility limitations, it's what I have to do. As strength and flexibility continue to improve, I'll raise the saddle to have better leg extension. So far, my knees have not complained.

I sat on a Specialized Expedition Sport with a small frame, and it works quite well. The crank is not quite as forward as that of a Townie.

weight: the Townie has a steel frame, the Specialized has an aluminum frame, thus is lighter. You're right, it won't make much difference with the kind of riding I do, but any little thing at all that keeps me riding longer into the day and longer into the years is really important. As it is, I'm pushing the limits, trying to be a kid again.

Next up is visiting the other bike store and actually taking both bikes out for a spin.

Your input is much appreciated. Even if I don't take your suggestions in all things, the fact that you voice them has helped me see and evaluate the variables in this decision.
Old 03-27-15, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat71
I thank you for your expertise, and I've visited one of the two bike shops today.

Low end: I'll have to stay low end. That's the reality. I'll have to deal with those limitations. Also, I'm not a bike connoisseur. I'll buy the best I can from one of two local shops, learning as much as I can, and letting it go at that. At least I know not to buy at a big box store. Perhaps in my next incarnation I'll get an earlier start...

feet on the ground and leg extension: I don't literally have both feet flat on the ground, but I do make sure my toes touch the ground when seated. With my age and flexibility limitations, it's what I have to do. As strength and flexibility continue to improve, I'll raise the saddle to have better leg extension. So far, my knees have not complained.

I sat on a Specialized Expedition Sport with a small frame, and it works quite well. The crank is not quite as forward as that of a Townie.

weight: the Townie has a steel frame, the Specialized has an aluminum frame, thus is lighter. You're right, it won't make much difference with the kind of riding I do, but any little thing at all that keeps me riding longer into the day and longer into the years is really important. As it is, I'm pushing the limits, trying to be a kid again.

Next up is visiting the other bike store and actually taking both bikes out for a spin.

Your input is much appreciated. Even if I don't take your suggestions in all things, the fact that you voice them has helped me see and evaluate the variables in this decision.
I'll put in my 2 cents.

You're doing 40 on a townie... You've just caught the biking bug.

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!! You have already achieved wonderful things!

If you keep on, you'll realize you're adding years to your healthy life, so yeah, you're likely to go a step up (or upgrade your townie to an 8 speed and address anything else you wish (like fit issues or faster better wheels, maybe better tires)...

You'll wear out the next bike and hopefully many more!
Old 03-28-15, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
I'll put in my 2 cents.

You're doing 40 on a townie... You've just caught the biking bug.

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!! You have already achieved wonderful things!

If you keep on, you'll realize you're adding years to your healthy life, so yeah, you're likely to go a step up (or upgrade your townie to an 8 speed and address anything else you wish (like fit issues or faster better wheels, maybe better tires)...

You'll wear out the next bike and hopefully many more!

I hadn't realized that a Townie was intended for maybe a 10 or 15 mile ride. I was so wasted from chemo when I got mine that all I could manage was 3 miles followed by a long nap. With only 3 speeds, I could only function with the middle one. Not strong enough for 3rd, couldn't peddle fast enough to stay afloat in first. It was several months before I could get up to 10 miles and three speeds. Now, three years later, I've apparently pushed the limits of my bike, and apparently haven't found my own physical limits yet. Good. There's a silly little sitcom on tv now called "Last Man on Earth". Good for a few adolescent laughs, but it got me thinking...what would I do if I were the last person on Earth? Not my photography, art, or writing. Those things need an audience, even for a hermit like me.
It would be riding my bicycle.
Because when I do, I'm a kid again, relishing the wind in my face, the sounds and smells of nature around me, and enjoying the closest thing to flying I can manage.
Old 03-28-15, 05:47 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat71
I hadn't realized that a Townie was intended for maybe a 10 or 15 mile ride. I was so wasted from chemo when I got mine that all I could manage was 3 miles followed by a long nap. With only 3 speeds, I could only function with the middle one. Not strong enough for 3rd, couldn't peddle fast enough to stay afloat in first. It was several months before I could get up to 10 miles and three speeds. Now, three years later, I've apparently pushed the limits of my bike, and apparently haven't found my own physical limits yet. Good. There's a silly little sitcom on tv now called "Last Man on Earth". Good for a few adolescent laughs, but it got me thinking...what would I do if I were the last person on Earth? Not my photography, art, or writing. Those things need an audience, even for a hermit like me.
It would be riding my bicycle.
Because when I do, I'm a kid again, relishing the wind in my face, the sounds and smells of nature around me, and enjoying the closest thing to flying I can manage.
Great story!
Old 03-28-15, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Make them earn their money. There is no substitute for a test ride.
Old 03-28-15, 08:04 PM
Semper Fi

Lets see here, 40 miles on the current bike, a 3 speed IGH, fairly heavy, managed to ride 3 miles the first time out after chemo series, and is interested in something that performs a little better. You as said above, have the bicycling bug, and are doing quite well with your riding, too. I had thought about your post while riding today and one reply mentions it, could you upgrade the rear wheel to say an 8 speed IGH, or even one of the Shimano Alfine 11 speed hubs?

Best of luck with the search, you seem to be doing a darn good job of research and getting things sorted out at the shops, too. Again, I'm glad that you are joining in here with us.

Bill

Old 03-29-15, 06:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A year ago I asked at the shop if that could be done, and they quoted me a price that equals the price of a new bike. And I'd still have a 24". Perhaps that shouldn't matter. For me, it does. When I had a problem with losing one of my three gears on a trip, taking it in to a shop on the trail that had a large Townie presence, they said they didn't have the part and I'd have to wait a few days. My husband found a cooperative hardware store that let him into the back room to machine the part, he pretty much fixed it. It still acts up, but I'm pretty good at working around "speed bumps", if you will. That doesn't mean I want him to be doing the bike work on a regular basis.

My local shop has a 26" 21 speed Specialized Expedition Sport, small frame. I grilled the salesman pretty good, wanting to get past the mindset of the young triathlete that he is. He passed the test. I only sat on the bike, making sure my toes would touch the floor while seated. They did. Tuesday I take it out for a test ride.

Bike Source is the store. It's the first store I've shopped in that pointed out that saddles can be matched to sit bones, and they have a little sit down gizmo to measure that distance. That matters. Also, the handlebar grips are engineered to address the occasional numbness in my hands on long trips.

The advice and insight on this forum is fantastic! Though I'll never be particularly tech savvy, perhaps one day I'll have enough experience to be able to help somebody else. In the meantime, you know that little unexpected breeze that comes up behind you? If you listen carefully, you'll hear a quiet "yeeeeeehawwww!!!" That will have been me.
Old 03-29-15, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 4 decades and 40 pounds lost I decided at the suggestion of my Dr to start riding. It was explained to me not to purchase from a big box store and get fitted for a bike by a local shop. After many, many questions it was suggested to purchase a Townie 21p based on a short inseam (29") and being a more comfortable bike to ride as a beginner. I will admit that I've been out only 3 times in the last 2 weeks for a total of 45 miles. But they sure have been enjoyable miles so far. So much so that's what keeps me motivated up to this point. I'm not out to break any land speed records as I average between 8-10mph. I do feel a little burn in my thighs & back but it's a good feeling. I really wished I would have started this 30 years ago. I've taken a break for a couple of days to allow my body to heal a bit. I can't relate to any other bike but the one I have but I can say that for being out of shape & needing to shave off another 30 pounds I'm glad I had a bicycle pro set me up with what felt would work in my condition. On a side note another motivation for me was to get passed up by a gentleman yesterday with a bike with a trailer with 2 forty pound bags of salt. And he passed me up as if I wasn't even moving. I was in awe!
Old 03-29-15, 07:11 PM
Semper Fi

Glad that you've found a shop, Bobcat, we have a member here, Dan Burkhart, that is an IGH wizard, I am going to poke him to read your thread and give his input about things. The Specialized seat device, as well as the other Body Geometry measuring things, are first rate for getting things right. Its always good to read that someone is enjoying cycling, no matter what they ride. I believe you'll enjoy the 50+ forum, the folks are very supportive and encouraging here. There are several members that are recovering from various issues, and lots that are just returning to cycling after years away.

Welcome to you, and Bammy.

Bill

Old 03-29-15, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Hi there bobcat. Congratulations on your return to cycling. 40 miles is a pretty respectable distance on any bike, so well done.
I won't offer any advice on bike style, but I can address any gearhub questions.
The first thing I would ask is if you find yourself needing both higher and lower gears (ie more range) or do you just need the high end adjusted up, or the low end adjusted down. If the latter is the case, the change can be accomplished quickly and inexpensively by changing the chainring/cog ratio.
If you find you need more range in the gears, (both a lower low and a higher high), then it follows that a hub with more gears (8 is a good number) would be more suitable.
Retrofitting gearhubs is not rocket science, but it does seem to be beyond the capabilities of some bike shops, as does the maintenance and repair of said units, so before assigning the task, try to get a feel for the competence level of your shop mechanics.
As always, if you tell us where you are located, someone may be able to direct you to someone local that has a reputation.
EDIT: Reading through the rest of the thread, it seems your bike is not really a good fit anyway, so going to the expense of a drive train renovation would probably not be worth while.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-29-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am Westerville, Ohio.

Boy oh boy there's a lot to learn, and I have to remember I'm buying a not very expensive bike, and whether it's a Townie or a Specialized, I'm going to have a good time riding. I like spending the better part of my day just riding the Rail Trails, and being able to do 40 or 50 miles round trip opens up more trail rides.

After doing some reading I'm learning that apparently the weight of the bike isn't important.

Crank/seat placement matters. I'll bring my Townie into the shop and put it beside the Specialized I think I want and compare them. We raise the seat height on my 24" Townie, but on the 26" Specialized the seat is almost all the way down.

Gears: 8 on my Townie, or the Specialized with either 7 or 21. And now I know what IGH stands for. Thank you, google.

When I go to the shop Tuesday I'll ask about changing out the gear hub on my Townie, and comparing what they say with what you are saying. The shop that said it would cost as much as my bike to replace it - I don't go there any more. It's where I bought my bike. They couldn't even put the fenders on correctly.

The conversation here is fantastic as I end up doing a lot of research. As always, thank you.
Old 03-29-15, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bammy320
After 4 decades and 40 pounds lost I decided at the suggestion of my Dr to start riding. It was explained to me not to purchase from a big box store and get fitted for a bike by a local shop. After many, many questions it was suggested to purchase a Townie 21p based on a short inseam (29") and being a more comfortable bike to ride as a beginner. I will admit that I've been out only 3 times in the last 2 weeks for a total of 45 miles. But they sure have been enjoyable miles so far. So much so that's what keeps me motivated up to this point. I'm not out to break any land speed records as I average between 8-10mph. I do feel a little burn in my thighs & back but it's a good feeling. I really wished I would have started this 30 years ago. I've taken a break for a couple of days to allow my body to heal a bit. I can't relate to any other bike but the one I have but I can say that for being out of shape & needing to shave off another 30 pounds I'm glad I had a bicycle pro set me up with what felt would work in my condition. On a side note another motivation for me was to get passed up by a gentleman yesterday with a bike with a trailer with 2 forty pound bags of salt. And he passed me up as if I wasn't even moving. I was in awe!
I remember early on when I couldn't pass a jogger...
and then being passed by a bike pulling a trailer...
but now I'm passing a few bikes, myself - slow bikes, you understand. I'm not in a hurry, either.
Old 03-29-15, 10:09 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If you truly need to be able to put your feet flat on the ground when stopped, then the specialized in not the bike for you. It does not have the 'crank forward' frame style, just a slightly relaxed seat angle. If your seat height is set so you can put your feet flat on the ground when seated, your seat will be too low for pedaling, which will be inefficient and possible damaging to the knees. It might be an acceptable compromise for a short ride around the retirement compound, but not for 40 milers.

I just looked up the Electra bikes, and If I were you, I would try out the Townie 7D or 21D. The 21D has a derailleur and triple chainrings in the front for wider gearing, which is more important for hilly riding. I would probably get the 7D if I were you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.