User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I go to the carport to select a bike for a ride...

...I notice something that I need to maintenance on another bike. I seem to spend more time working on bikes than I do riding them (NOT my goal).

Today, I went to ride, but noticed that I hadn't installed my new Brooks saddle. Yanked the old, mounted the new, started backing the bike & noticed that the front brakes were rubbing. Wiggled the wheel & found that the bearings were loose - spent about an hour removing & cleaning the wheel bearings, greasing & adjusting before reinstall. Then I noticed that the aluminum of the front hub seemed heavily oxidized - got the Nevr-Dull and polished the hub. Then my wife comes out & says it's time to take her to lunch...

Back from lunch, I decide to ride a different bike, but this one has a front brake so far out of adjustment that it isn't (in my opinion) safe to ride. Go to put new pads on, but have only much thicker pads in the parts box than the originals. Since I have V-brakes, not an issue - I'll just run the arms further out. When I try, the original brake cable won't reach. Find & cut a new brake cable, & replace the housing for good measure. I notice that now (with the wider gap on the brakes), the spring tension isn't sufficient to keep the arms out. Removing the arms from their mounting pins (and greasing the pins while they're nude), I reset the tension pin for greater outward tension - NOW I have sufficient tension at the arms to keep them off the rims. Unfortunately, now that the arms are tensioned more, one brake-arm moves when the hand-lever is squeezed, but not the other. Spend another 15 minutes adjusting the tension screws until both arms move equally - Then my wife comes out & says it's time to cut the lawn...

Late afternoon - finally ready to go for a spin - The seat post sinks into the seat tube - The 34.9mm clamp is too large for the 27.2 seat post. Rummaging, I find a 31.8mm clamp - too small! What the heck? Googling, I see that the manufacturer intended this 27.2 seat post (in a thick seat tube) to be used with a (virtually unfindable) 33.6mm clamp! Making a pass by the LBS - no, they not only don't have one but have absolutely no idea where to even order one. Time to improvise! Wedge open the 31.8 or shim the 34.9? The former seems more prone to metal fatigue than the latter, so so I'll now go hack up some pop cans with yard shears until I have a shim that matches the clamp inner circumference.

Give up on riding for today & hope tomorrow's a better day... Cheers - FH
    Nishiki road bike, Raleigh road bike, Electra Cruiser Lux 7d, Electra Townie 3i, Electra Townie 1, Whatever I find today!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah - the ugly side of N+1.

It means that you have more bikes to keep maintained.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 I'm down to 2 bikes, one is in pieces. The other is always ready to roll.

My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Ah - the ugly side of N+1. It means that you have more bikes to keep maintained.
    Agreed - Now to divest - but which ones?
    Nishiki road bike, Raleigh road bike, Electra Cruiser Lux 7d, Electra Townie 3i, Electra Townie 1, Whatever I find today!

My Bikes
    Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Fun...
    No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)

KJK
    My Bikes
    1982 Bianchi Super Leggera
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon View Post
    Divest bossy wife and have more time for wrenching and riding!

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sickness In some ,,,

It's all about the bike, I get that but think of it this way for a second:

Those bikes sitting there alone getting out occasionally, they deserve to be ridden more.
    Sell them, all of them so they can be loved and worn out.
    Take the money and buy a few NEW bikes that your lusting over, just a few, say 3,,ok 4,, ok OK N+1...
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx

My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the bikes I currently own are pretty well chosen for my needs. Being an Uber-Clyde, and living in a FLAT part of the country, I just don't need a wide variety of things that someone lighter and/or living in more mountainous terrain would hold dear.

Light weight, for example, is fun, but absolutely unnecessary for me. Instead, I want durability and comfort, and I'm willing to tolerate a heavier bike to get them. A prime example is my new Brooks B190 saddle.

Since I don't need to climb, descend, or race, the "racing style bike" lacks much appeal to me as well.

I'm well served for the past few years by my Townie coaster-brake model. And before you sneer, I put a consistent 250 miles per month on it. The 50mm tires tolerate the local roads without flats and with more comfort than other bikes provide. The single gear is appropriate for the terrain. The simplicity makes for good durability. If I had to keep but one bike, it would be that one (or the Townie 3-speed, which weighs but a hair more).

So my "divest" bikes remain the Nishiki road bike, the Raleigh road bike, and the Electra 7-speed cruiser. CraigsList, here I come!

As to "divest bossy wife," she's more essential to me than the bike, and she shows some signs of being willing to start riding with me now that I've gotten her an appropriate bike also. I'm a lucky man!

FarHorizon

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got 5 kids. I know that 5 kids is too many but I could never figure out which ones were the "too many". Now that they're all grown and living on their own and doing good, I'm happy and proud for every one of them.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live in the snow belt, and a lot of us do, by now all the maintence on your bikes should already be done.

Starting in Feb when I have cabin fever, I do a complete cleaning, lube, and check of both my bike and trike. That way I seldom have problems during the riding season.

My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, "riding season" is about 50 weeks out of the year. As to the other two weeks - one is frozen and the other is a hurricane.

My Bikes
    Actionbent Roadrunner high racer and a Redline d660 29er
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other side of the coin is that if you had fewer bikes you would be doing more maintenance on them because you would be using them more. So one way or the other you would probably be doing about the same amount of work.
    No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until SOMEONE gets on it and rides.

My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue may not be that the bikes need work, but that I consistently disobey the first rule of bicycle maintenance, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!" LOL

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue may not be that the bikes need work, but that I consistently disobey the first rule of bicycle maintenance, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!" LOL
    Yeah, my mantra seems to be "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is (or you are)."
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 weeks a year riding season? Florida? Costa Rica?, PR? Nothing wrong with a townie or 3 speed if it's all you need. I winnowed down to 2, SO I DON"T HAVE A REASON TO NOT RIDE>>>>>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 5 bikes that need spring cleaning and tuning. I feel your pain.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of wish I had your problem, just tried to convince GF to allow n+1 #3 for a road bike. She says no, I just got a Redline d660 29er and still have my actionbent, she somehow thinks that should be enough for anyone.
    No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until SOMEONE gets on it and rides.

My Bikes
    Varies by day
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @DanWho -

Significant others who don't understand your hobbies are a recipe for acrimony. Of course, it works both ways - her hobbies are important too. The limit on hobbies (for the both of you) isn't what the other thinks is sufficient, but what the mutual budget will allow. Budgeting a discretionary spending allowance (and sticking with it) makes for harmony. And once the individual's allowance is established, what that individual chooses to do with it is beyond ANY criticism.

Now doesn't that sound nice? That's how it "should" work. In my case, however, my hobbies are more extensive (and more expensive) than hers. We've reached the understanding that so long as we don't forego any necessities (including retirement contributions) for hobbies, I have free rein. It did take some years to get here, though, and the unspoken understanding is that should she want something expensive (rare, but it happens), I'll make it happen by temporary reductions in my expenses. I'm a lucky man!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, FH, it is a 2-way street in a marriage, or relationship of any kind. I am fortunate that my wife supports my cycling. She still rides a bit, but not like when we were both doing commuting and club activities before the kids took over things for a while. Its using a little common sense and talking about things between the two of us. I pretty much defer to her on the budget, she is very well versed on that part, we manage to save some, nothing is behind and the mortgage is on the way to being done. Monica had a strong financial background from her business, I am the engineer and accept my station as the designated fixer of the broken things. Works for me and its going to be 39 years together this July 2.

I have much the same affliction about tinkering and needing to continually work on machinery. Bicycles, and dirt bikes formerly, are my release for that one. Been this way my entire life, at least I can get things out back together and running now, when I was a kid it could be a lot different, much to my father's dismay.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe plan doing some of that PM work when you are not going to be riding.
    Last edited by obed7; 03-30-15 at 09:00 AM.

My Bikes
    You mean this week?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I agreed that i can have all the bikes i want as long as I don't touch the house bank account for funds, so I have to buy and sell smart. (She did buy me a used Rants Stratus for my 50th birthday with a little coaxing.). That said, I try to keep the count down to bikes that serve a real purpose for me, and recently divested four... and bought one. ��

My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hi, my name is FarHorizon and I am an addict"

My Bikes
    Bianchi Impulso, Nashbar Steel CX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJK View Post
    Divest bossy wife and have more time for wrenching and riding!
    I'm a little confused. You have more so many bikes that you are not finding time to ride because of the maintenance and you also have a wife. No need to divest yourself of her. Put her to work on bicycle maintenance. True, you would have to spend a little time training her, but it would be time well spent.
    Once I got the straight jacket off, my invisible friends and I escaped.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did establish a budget and the Redline came in way under budget so when I talked about getting a road bike that still came in under the budget she put her foot down hard enough to scare the cats and wake the neighborhood. Oh well, my birthday is only 7 months away.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes...for today!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh heh heh...yesterday I spent 3.5 hours working on a bike in my herd just so I could give it to someone. Downsizing, now that I've got my grail. I'll keep a few of 'em around, so they don't get lonely.
    '69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record Pro, '82 Stan Pike (made for me!), '08? Serotta Legend Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast