Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Back health

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 10:12 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Back health

What do you do for your back to keep it in shape? I haven't had any major issues but sometimes I notice a little tenderness. Just turned 60 this year and I want to keep things functioning. So, what do you do or not do?
About the only thing that does bother my back is a recliner chair.
Old 03-30-15, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I include the back extension machine in my workouts and stretch.
Old 03-30-15, 01:26 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
First thing to do is get a copy of Core Advantage. 2nd thing is to make use of it. Set up a program starting at the beginning, 3 workouts/week, and ending in a year. Then start going to the gym. Let's see, what back specific stuff have I been doing lately . . . squats, horizontal rows, lat pulldowns, seated dumbbell presses, back extension machine . . . really hard climbing on a road bike is good for your back, too. Keep your back straight when climbing - well, all the time.
Old 03-30-15, 03:25 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the 7 or 8 exercises my PT gave me when I was having lower back issues, which I still have (degeneration & arthritis, but no herniations or bulging discs). It takes about 20 to 25 minutes and I do them in the morning, 5 or 6 days a week. I almost always do them on days before riding, and sometimes on days that I swim. These exercises do loosen up my back and it definitely makes it feel better, and I am sure they have helped my flexibility as I can get in the drops much better - and longer - than before. They are not going to heal degeneration and/or arthritis, but they help the blood flow and stretches the muscles to loosen them up. These exercises probably strengthen the muscles in and around the back to a point. Here is a link which has most of the movements. You can google the internet for back exercises and most returned pages will feature similar movements. Other than occasional gout and kidney stones, I'm in pretty good health and feel good. I can hang with the faster groups too.

Back Pain Exercises with pictures | BigBackPain.com
Old 03-30-15, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on core exercises being the foundation of athletic performance and the best way to prevent back problems. Remember that the core is not just your abs, but all the muscles from your pelvis to your rib cage. You want a variety of exercises to keep them all strong and flexible. I personally like some yoga and Pilates exercises mixed in with resistance (weight/machine/band/bodyweight) exercises.
Old 03-30-15, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I do a back routine a few times a week.I have a DVD set, The Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility by Steve Maxwell that has different workouts focusing on specific areas of the body. Mostly body weight exercises that work on strength and flexibility at the same time. His section on the back really works for me.
I also do core exercises almost every day and yoga once a week. I do some Kettlebell work but that's really the extent of a weight workout. I stretch, Active Isolated stretching,after every ride.
Every now and then I go to the chiropractor to get things straightened out.
Old 03-30-15, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Avoid the recliner, it's also bad for your cardiovascular system

I'd say getting to 60 without any significant back problems suggests you're already doing something right - better than most people, in fact. Core strength is good, flexibility is good, active lifestyle is good. I would not recommend any drastic changes, given your success to date.
Old 03-30-15, 10:08 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It used to be that when I bent over, I could hear my vertebra clattering. Since I began sleeping on a yoga mat on the floor, I feel better and my back is quiet. I think its that my back is held straight and aligned all night.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-31-15, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Yoga Yoga Yoga It has cured all of the back issues I have dealt with since age 28, and now that my wife is doing yoga, here back issues have gone away... Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga,,, you get the idea.
Old 03-31-15, 10:54 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I suffered from a very painful lower back years ago so took up Pilates as a friend said it worked for her. I did it regularly for about 4 years and had very few problems with my back.

I then, being lazy, gave it up. Now I have started to have back pain again so I think it's back to Pilates for me. I believe Yoga would be just as effective.
Old 03-31-15, 11:39 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1989 Greg LeMond Le Vanquer, 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2010 LHT, Marlboro Fuji Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People who hold their stomachs in and stand tall are far less likely to have back issues..... relates to having a strong core.

Stretching is for cats :-)
Old 03-31-15, 12:41 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yoga Yoga Yoga It has cured all of the back issues I have dealt with since age 28, and now that my wife is doing yoga, here back issues have gone away... Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga Yoga,,, you get the idea.
This^^^^ I've had back issues and pain for over 40 years. Started Yoga last August and my back is 95%+ pain free. To be fair, I've also increased my swimming and general core and stretching routines . . . but two one hour Yoga classes a week are just fantastic for me. I plan to add a third at some point.
Old 03-31-15, 06:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a soft and over-used mattress caused all my back problems. Cycle touring and sleeping on an inch-thick Therm-a-rest sleep pad sorted it out.
Old 03-31-15, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeD1
This^^^^ I've had back issues and pain for over 40 years. Started Yoga last August and my back is 95%+ pain free. To be fair, I've also increased my swimming and general core and stretching routines . . . but two one hour Yoga classes a week are just fantastic for me. I plan to add a third at some point.
Same here - Iyengar yoga for the past four years.
Old 03-31-15, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Keeping core reasonably strong, etc.

One of my favorites is laying back on large exercise ball. This is passive- takes only stabilizing muscles, & intensity is governed by how far you roll back. Helps to balance out the too-much-sittingitis that many of us suffer from.

Also taking a breath & relaxing before & after each heavy lift- especially if it is something awkward. Along with planning (knowing where you will put down the load, having a bail out plan), this helps to avoid overload & strain that are common triggers of back trauma.
Old 03-31-15, 09:22 PM

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Feather, MSC fixed gear

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a back brace almost constantly. I have lower back problems and it helps a lot. I did PT on and off since I was about 13 or 14 but Its hard with life to go regularly. I have thought about yoga, heard its supposed to help. just came from the doc today. L5-S1 are starting to go, arthritis, as well as lower muscle spasms. Just puts me in discomfort but it could be a problem down the road seeing as Im only 26
Old 03-31-15, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Lower back issues started at age 14, ended at age 19 when I began doing yoga regularly (much more than regularly for a few years). Do the strength exercises others have noted, but it's also important to maintain/develop flexibility. Also, just focus on the postures and process (go to discomfort, stay in control) and ignore all the woo woo that has become the norm of yoga in the US over the past decade or so. Also, if you end up in a Bikram program, beware anything that puts your knees or hips in odd positions; his program isn't ready for prime time for athletic folks.
Old 03-31-15, 10:31 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I'm going back to putting a piece of thin plywood under my mattress to firm it up a bit. I've noticed a little pain creeping in after a few hours without it that definitely points to sagging.
Old 04-01-15, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Core exercises, and spending time on the trainer/spin-bike in a really low TT-like position, with my knees just about hitting my chest.
Old 04-01-15, 11:05 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Lower back issues started at age 14, ended at age 19 when I began doing yoga regularly (much more than regularly for a few years). Do the strength exercises others have noted, but it's also important to maintain/develop flexibility. Also, just focus on the postures and process (go to discomfort, stay in control) and ignore all the woo woo that has become the norm of yoga in the US over the past decade or so. Also, if you end up in a Bikram program, beware anything that puts your knees or hips in odd positions; his program isn't ready for prime time for athletic folks.
I should go for flexibility. Do I need a yoga class or can I get a book/video? I took some classes back in the day so I already know about the breathing and some of the basics.
Old 04-01-15, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I should go for flexibility. Do I need a yoga class or can I get a book/video? I took some classes back in the day so I already know about the breathing and some of the basics.
I have The Athlete's Guide to Yoga by Sage Roundtree. It has a lot of poses that really address the riding/running muscles. After I read the book I picked up the DVD of the same name. You can follow routines that are already set up or use the option that allows you to create your own routine. There are three people doing the poses at different degrees of difficulity.
I set up my own routine and do it at home which is probably best since my version of yoga is not exactly a thing of beauty. Oh well can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

https://www.amazon.com/Athletes-Guide...+guide+to+yoga
Old 04-01-15, 03:55 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Core yeah,,
Proper Hydration 24/7 double yeah

Join the Thousand a week club,,, Entry fee is free, but the pain is Intense..

,,,,,The Thousand a week club,, thats 1,000 crunches a week..
No I'm not there yet but I'm half way there

many of us have no balance, a strong back will break without a strong front to balance things out
Old 04-01-15, 04:02 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
A short yoga routine for cyclists with lower back pain
Old 04-01-15, 08:29 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lumbar surgery twice in the last 18 months. I figure that should keep the lower back quiet for a while.
Old 04-02-15, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
There is a book called Back Rx, and it addresses core strength and stretching using some positions from yoga. This is where I started and now do mostly yoga, basic, simple, no named yoga. The stuff works. One other thing, sleeping on a soft mattress will cause trouble after about 2 weeks, so I avoid them. The government run TV station that is linked to NPR radio has a yoga instructor on every morning bright and early. Her poses are more extreme and generally for an advanced practitioner, however with some common sense you can modify the stretch to your level of fitness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.