Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Goggles or prescription sunglasses

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Goggles or prescription sunglasses

Old 04-12-15, 08:53 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Depends on the brand of bike. If it's a vintage Royal Enfield, goggles might be more appropriate.
Old 04-12-15, 04:45 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I wear trifocals, too. I had prescription sunglasses 17 years ago. Didn't like having to change them when conditions changed. I used to use flip up clip-ons and liked how they acted like a visor when flipped up. Got into old manual film camera photography 13 years ago and stopped wearing sunglasses to get a more accurate feel for exposure. Now I use those sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses, but only for driving.
Old 04-17-15, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Been a while since I have posted here but here goes. I have been using prescription sun glasses for the last two years and have been dreading the idea of having to pay for new ones if my prescription changes. I thought I would give these shields a try and believe it or not it was a good idea, for me anyway. All-Weather Bike Helmet Shield, Bicycle Helmet Visor :: Wide Eyez

I bought the two part kit with both dark and clear shields and to tell the truth I find it better almost all the way around. The big plus is they don't fog up in the cold.
Old 04-19-15, 12:27 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Until about a year ago, I wore contact lenses. Got a little tired of changing them every day (my eyes don't tolerate the extended wear) and wearing readers, so I got a couple of pair of trifocal eye glasses.

Now I'm coming back into cycling, and I don't like riding without sunglasses. So I'm wondering which is the smarter play: a pair of prescription sunglasses, or some kind of goggles that'll fit over my eye glasses, but preferably without making me look like an 80 year old retiree driving to a bingo parlor with comically huge lenses that fit over my glasses. I also want to fit a rear-view mirror on the frame of whatever I wear.

I can't be the only one with this problem. What solutions have worked for you guys?
Gee, I don't think you're being fair about "fit over" sun glasses.

"Solar Shield" brand is made from lexan plastic (bullet proof) so your eyes are protected from flying road debris. The side shields also keep glare and dust from bothering your eyes. They are polarized as well. So for about $15 you can buy really safe sun protection for your eyes. Last but not least........Fit overs allow you to wear your everyday glasses with no issues.

OR..........

Are you a shallow hal fashionista that is foolish enough to pay big bucks for "pretty" sun glasses that won't protect your eyes ?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4tcfj98yx0_b

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-20-15, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I wanted a cycling visor, untinted. I`ve never needed sunglasses in my life, so I`m not even happy with the current trend for tinted glass in cars. If I lived in Arizona instead of Lancashire (uk) I might not think like that . . .

I use welding goggles. Less than £3 a pair. Optical quality, fit well over my specs and keep the wind out too. I swear blind I see better with them than without . . .Very useful, and they look quite cool all things considered . . .
Old 04-20-15, 01:44 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wear these...........

Liquid Polarized Prescription Eyewear - Liquid Eyewear - Polarized Sunglasses

Old 03-15-17, 04:47 AM

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wear regular sunglasses over my contacts. Works great for me!
Old 03-15-17, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I got a couple of pair of trifocal eye glasses.
I've been wearing trifocals for a few years now. I just couldn't get comfortable with the profressive lenses. I find the trifocals work better for me periferal-vision-wise.

As far as riding, I used to have perscription sunglasses long, long ago, but my eyes would go out of perscription after a year.

I carry a pair of flip down sunglasses, the kind that clip onto the tops of the glasses.

I've been riding with my trifocals for years, also. Just a glasses strap. No chips, scratches or other problems.
Old 03-15-17, 09:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While not cycling glasses or fashionable I wear perscription sun glasses from Sams Club. Approx $100.
Old 03-26-17, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
preferably without making me look like an 80 year old retiree driving to a bingo parlor with comically huge lenses that fit over my glasses. I also want to fit a rear-view mirror on the frame of whatever I wear.
This is what I do.