Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Cross Chain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross Chain

My Domane has an Ultegra Compact double on front and 10 speed on the back. I was wondering while I am in the little ring on the front how far I can expect to down in gears on the back before getting the chain crossed. I thought I should be able to go half way down but, when I do that my front derailer starts to make noise.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure, mine is an ultegra 6800 version but I get no real noise from cross chaining...I do not think mid-range should be an issue

My Bikes
    Felt ZXX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the smallest ring in the front, you should be able to use pretty much all of them but the last, if it's set up right. Are you using the trim position to move the front derailleur over when you get midway down the cassette. If you cant, all that it probably needs is a lower limit adjustment + some sufficient cable tension.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup -- if the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur cage, you have a derailleur lateral positioning / "trim" problem.

With a 2x10 I would expect every combination to work, except for large-large cross and possibly small-small cross.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't go more than half-way across the cassette w/o it rubbing, it sounds like there's an adjustment issue. The last Shimano-equipped (10s) bike I had could use 8-9 of the cogs w/o rubbing.
    I like bikes. Oh, and doughnuts, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. For some reason, I thought I had the half step trim on the big ring only now I know it is on big and small ring.

Lol - I have been missing out on some gears I could have used a time or two

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with modern compacts and derailleurs, you should be able to use virtually all the gear combinations. I seldom find myself using the small/small (34/12) combination, but commonly use the large/large (50/27) at least for brief periods - e.g., going up a significant but not outrageous hill in the big ring, and slowly moving up the cassette, if I find the 50/23, then 50/25 combinations too much, I'll just go for the 50/27 for a while. If it were a longer haul, I'd switch to the small ring.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cross chaining, the biggest non-issue to seize up bikeforums. Cross-chain all you want/need, nobody has ever proved it has any bad effects. As for power loss, low angle offsets cost little, do the trigonometry if you don't understand....
    IGH's, Dyno Hubs, LED lights and old frames

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never give it any thought. If I can't shift, I know I'm in the wrong ring!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr IGH View Post
    Cross chaining, the biggest non-issue to seize up bikeforums. Cross-chain all you want/need, nobody has ever proved it has any bad effects. As for power loss, low angle offsets cost little, do the trigonometry if you don't understand....
    I think most of the "Cross-Chaining Is Bad!" aphorisms are holdovers from the days of 5- and 6-cog clusters; I agree that a modern (10- or 11-speed) drivetrain with compact 50/34 chainrings is pretty much immune from any possible equipment damage or performance degradations when cross-chained

...but that doesn't necessarily mean that "Cross-Chaining Is Good". The biggest problem I see with people who habitually cross-chain is that they essentially back themselves into a corner gear-wise: They run out of cogs before the terrain they're on runs out of challenges, and then they're forced to do an inopportune front shift, usually with disasterous results (huge change in cadence, or dropped chains). If they'd been more aware of what gear they were in and better anticipated how to maximize their efficiency on the terrain, they would've done some preemptive shifting earlier to prevent ever being in that dramatically cross-chained condition.
    Last edited by Bob Ross; 04-16-15 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    ...but that doesn't necessarily mean that "Cross-Chaining Is Good"....
    Most riders have indicators on their brake levers/shifters and always know what gear they're in. As stated above by others, the usual case to be cross-chained is in the big front ring because the ride is cresting a small hill/rise and needs it for a short burst. If someone is dropping a chain whilst shifting, the issue is mechanical and has nothing to do with poor bikesmanship.
    IGH's, Dyno Hubs, LED lights and old frames

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most riders have indicators on their brake levers/shifters and always know what gear they're in.

I just laughed so hard I passed coffee through my nose!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's ultraflexible chains help alot, but cross chaining still does accelerate chainring wear. I run 2x6 with SRAM PC-58 chains on all of my road bikes, and I use 11 of the 12 gears -- everything but large-large, which tends to run noticeably roughly, even though my chains are not overly taut.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when that happens to me.

Agree -- I know what gear I am in solely from the positions of the shift levers, since my road bikes are all friction shift and I run my mountain bike in friction mode, which allowed me to upgrade from a 7-speed freewheel to an 8-speed cassette simply by swaping the rear wheel and tweaking the limit screws on the derailleur.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, must be riding a hybrid with flat bars to have a gear indicator on a brake or shift lever. Didn't Shimano try, and fail, at having indicators on the Flight Deck stuff, a few years back? And, poor bike skills can certainly cause a dropped chain, pushing for another shift really hard can do the trick, on some brifter or double tap systems.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    N+1=4
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most riders have indicators on their brake levers/shifters and always know what gear they're in. As stated above by others, the usual case to be cross-chained is in the big front ring because the ride is cresting a small hill/rise and needs it for a short burst. If someone is dropping a chain whilst shifting, the issue is mechanical and has nothing to do with poor bikesmanship.
    I wasn't drinking coffee, but I agree!

J.