Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Broke one of my golden rules

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Broke one of my golden rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 11:56 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't have any problems with Conti GP4000s, but when the price skyrocketed and I couldn't find them for less than $65 apiece, I found Schwalbe Duranos for $35 each. If there's a difference in performance, I sure can't tell; and they're wearing every bit as long as the Contis.
Random thoughts:

1. You can regularly find Conti GP4000s tires on PBK or similar for about $35 each or so.

2. I've stopped buying them, though. Too many sidewall failures. The only bright spot about those sidewall failures is that they have convinced me that I need to check my tires more often ... and I try to do so before any major high speed descent.

3. I'm giving Vittoria Super Rubinos a try next. This weekend, I had a number of people rave about Schwalbe ... so they may be next after the Vittorias.

4. That cut must have been a lot deeper than it looks. I'd have been tempted to boot it and call it good.

5. I've had a lot of glass lately on my commute ... and apparently chopped up my rear tire pretty good (a Conti Gatorskin ... tires I have no issues with).

Old 04-21-15, 07:09 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I had the GP4000, no issues with them while they were mounted on my R500 'Dale. I have been riding on Gatorskins since September 2012 on my CAAD 10, I am getting good mileage from them, around 5000 miles a set. I started the third set a few months back and expect no issues from them, from past experience. I have had a single flat on the 'Skins, a puncture back last October. From looking at the OP's picture of his tire, it looks like riding on the cut tore open the tire more, JMHO.

I haven't heard of recent sidewall failures of the GP 4000in a while, but not going to switch from the Gatorskins since they work so well for my riding. I think the rash of sidewall failures got Continental looking at what the problem was pretty fast.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-22-15, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry in advance if my post seems dumb. We just got back in to biking and our rides are 20mi. I don't bring a tire repair kit and tire irons to fix a flat. I thought the idea was to travel as light as possible. It now appears that a lot of people DO carry tire repair kits and other tools. I guess an outside plug is not feasible because of tubed tires. I suppose the extra weight of a tool kit beats a flat tire 10mi. from the car. I do have a multi tool but haven't been carrying it on our rides. Also, I fear damaging my alloy wheels with tire irons. Dang, no wonder the LBS guy likes me. I keep going back to buy stuff there. Someone was nice enough to send me a PM with links to buying inexpensive bicycle tools. My bike is at the LBS right now due to a loose bottom bracket. Cost is going to be $25.00. If I had proper tools I would save $ in the long run
Old 04-22-15, 10:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

If you look, you'll find a thread about what we all take with us on a typical ride. I recommend (as a minimum):

Spare tube
Tire irons
Pump/CO2
Tube Repair Kit (for that second flat)
Multitool (with a chainbreaker) and either a spare pin to reassemble your chain or a Kwik link.

IMHO, there are a few things in life you can virtually never waste money on ... and they include:

(1) Books
(2) Tools

Most tools pay for themselves eventually.

Old 04-22-15, 10:47 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Tire Irons is a generic term.... get the Park plastic tire levers. I've used them on alloy and carbon fiber wheels and never had a problem.

These arrived today and it only took a few minutes to install it. I only needed the levers to remove the tire. I'm able to get them back on with only my hands.

Old 04-22-15, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
If you look, you'll find a thread about what we all take with us on a typical ride. I recommend (as a minimum):

Spare tube
Tire irons
Pump/CO2
Tube Repair Kit (for that second flat)
Multitool (with a chainbreaker) and either a spare pin to reassemble your chain or a Kwik link.

IMHO, there are a few things in life you can virtually never waste money on ... and they include:

(1) Books
(2) Tools

Most tools pay for themselves eventually.
Couldn't agree more. Buying tools is never a waste of money. My worry about buying tools now is that I have a very cheap starter bike and have already started looking at upgrading. (I like the cannondale quick series) If I buy tools that fit all the hardware on the Schwinn, they might not fit the Cannondale. Sure the hex keys will fit both but bottom brackets, cones, freewheels. etc. etc. are all different sizes I gather.
Old 04-22-15, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Couldn't agree more. Buying tools is never a waste of money. My worry about buying tools now is that I have a very cheap starter bike and have already started looking at upgrading. (I like the cannondale quick series) If I buy tools that fit all the hardware on the Schwinn, they might not fit the Cannondale. Sure the hex keys will fit both but bottom brackets, cones, freewheels. etc. etc. are all different sizes I gather.
Sometimes it's best not to own a tool(s). Can create additional issues in the process of solving the original. 20+ years in bicycle sales/service .

Crazy glue in bicycle bag = multi-use product. I ride cheapo tires at 120psi on crappy roads. Clean bike after every ride and in the process of rim/hub/spoke cleaning the tires are looked at.
Old 04-22-15, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reading the misc FAQs on this forum is well worth the time also.
Cheers,
David in Alaska
Old 04-22-15, 04:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that. I'll try and do a little more research before posting
Old 04-22-15, 05:29 PM
Semper Fi

I wouldn't sweat it at all, yep some use of the search functions and reading the FAQ can help you with the gouge you need. But we haven't kicked anyone out for asking questions as far as I can remember. We have yelled at the occasional kid that gets on our grass, from time to time, though. (Our search function can be wonky at times, most of the time actually, don't let it frustrate you from asking what you need to know.)

And, to reply to your above post, I agree about buying tools, its never a bad investment, unless you go in for the el cheapo-cheapo stuff that gets offered as low cost solutions at some places. I buy good, quality tools, learned that one working as both a bicycle and motorcycle mechanic while in HS, and college after the Corps. I am a serious Craftsman and Park Tool Co, devote' and will buy some kind of esoteric tools from machinist and specialty suppliers I have access to through work. I guess its the Engineering genes in me. My dad was a Craftsman believer, too.

Bill

Old 04-22-15, 05:44 PM
Seat Sniffer

Are you kidding? Then all you'd ask are the tough questions that haven't been asked before. It's OK to throw a softball once in the while.

Old 04-22-15, 10:41 PM
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been doing post ride checks for more than 40 years, it's just part of the ritual of securing the bike after the ride. I look at the tires for cuts, cables for frayed or broken strands at the ends, and I check the spoke tension (plink!) and trueness of the wheels. It doesn't take long, and it is a consistent habit that I think has paid off. I found a derailleur cable with a couple of broken strands on the back side of the derailleur pinch bolt. Caught it before an inconvenient failure on the road. I guess it's my piloting habits, I give it a once-over, before and after a flight!

Park Tools makes a handy packet of adhesive tire "boots" that can be used inside a tire casing that gets a nasty slice or cut like you experienced. It definitely prevents a tube getting pinched and blowing out on the ride home...
Old 04-23-15, 05:42 AM
Semper Fi

Agreed about the PT tire boots, have some in my underseat wedge bag, along with a few of their patches in a handy plastic holder. In a fix I have used a $1.00 bill for a tire boot, just fold it to fit the needed patch area and place it between the inner casing of the tire and the tube. It will get you back home, or to an aid station during an event. The nested type tire tools, (PT and Pedros, as well as several others) are compact, light weight and handy, when you need to change out, or patch a tube. I have the tire tools, a PT IB-3 multi-tool, the patches and boots, some surgical gloves and a spare chain link (SRAM connecting master link) along with a house key. Fits well in my Avenir, "Big Mouth", expandable under-seat bag.

Onafixiate, agree 100% about the post and pre-ride check outs, much preferable to having things go south and needing to make the Call of Shame.

Bill