My Bikes
    most have two wheels, but some have one or three
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes you just need a change

Howdy,

I find myself in need of a change, or perhaps a long bike ride or something, but in any case I've put my track bike, my single speed/flipflop bike, and now my "race" bike all up for sale on the local craigslist. Instead I'm wanting a touring or cross type bike with 32-45mm wide tires, full fenders, racks front and rear, lights and a generator of some sort, and assorted other stuff relative to a touring and commuting setup. I'm just tired of seeing the bikes hanging in the basement or garage and not getting any use, so I'm wanting a change to something that I will get more use out of.

I also think I'm finally going to get around to fixing up the His&Her Raleigh 3-speeds that have been hanging out in the garage for a few years now and set them up with baskets for weekend breakfast rides around town.

I turn 60 this year, don't know how that happened but it did, doesn't seem like it. So I think I'm going to make a few changes this year.

Anyone else deciding to go through some changes?
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Life happens, don't be a spectator.

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I decided I needed a change at 62 and bought a tandem. Now that's a change! Now I almost never ride my singles, though I kept them all. We try to get in 100 miles/week or so on the big bike. We've toured on it, ridden centuries and one double so far, and done general sport riding. It took us a couple of years of solo riding to get to where we could do what I used to do on my singles. There really isn't any better quality time together and at our age one begins to have a sense that there's not that much of it left.

We bought a used Co-Motion Speedster for $3000, 7 years ago. It's still running fine. We put ~3000 miles/year on it. Don't buy cheap. Cannondales are not too hard to fine and are fine bikes, too.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah,,,

Good Idea,,

I could use a change,,

I think I'll ride just Black Diamond trails this saturday, shirtless and packless
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.”
    Mark Twain

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on riding 'in tandem' . . . been doing it for 40 years.

My Bikes
    Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Co-Motion Triplet; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo recumbent tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a trike last year, plus a recumbent tandem. I find myself taking different bikes on rides (TiRush, 'bent tandem, triplet, Bike Friday tandem, or trike) as a means of variation. Sometimes by myself, sometimes with one daughter, sometimes with two daughters. The variety keeps it interesting.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treebound View Post
    Howdy,

I find myself in need of a change, or perhaps a long bike ride or something, but in any case I've put my track bike, my single speed/flipflop bike, and now my "race" bike all up for sale on the local craigslist. Instead I'm wanting a touring or cross type bike with 32-45mm wide tires, full fenders, racks front and rear, lights and a generator of some sort, and assorted other stuff relative to a touring and commuting setup. I'm just tired of seeing the bikes hanging in the basement or garage and not getting any use, so I'm wanting a change to something that I will get more use out of.

I also think I'm finally going to get around to fixing up the His&Her Raleigh 3-speeds that have been hanging out in the garage for a few years now and set them up with baskets for weekend breakfast rides around town. ...
    If I could have just one bicycle, it would definitely be a road touring or cross type bike with 32mm -- or slightly wider -- tires. Good choice. Also, the 3-speeds do sound like fun for knocking about town. I really enjoyed my old 12-speed hybrid transmission, which was a standard wide ratio 3-speed SA hub with a 14-16-18-20 cogset.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treebound View Post
    Howdy,

... I'm just tired of seeing the bikes hanging in the basement or garage and not getting any use, so I'm wanting a change to something that I will get more use out of...
    I had nine bikes in the garage and I complained to the family that we have to clean up. We did end up giving a child's bike away but a lot of them are still there. Turns out in the past year, I was using four of them.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a recumbent bike, and a trike. With them I have the best of both worlds, and use the right "tool" for the ride at hand. They both of course are pain free.

My Bikes
    2015 Trek Emonda SLR P1, Red 22, Zipp 303
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a "trail" hybrid for when I want something different that a road bike.

My Bikes
    most have two wheels, but some have one or three
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started looking at the mtb=>commuter bike and thinking of putting a reversed rear rack on the front like some have done with their mtb touring conversions.

Then this morning I took about an hour to spray lube and flush out the 8-speed brifter and got that bike functional again. I might put the race bike in the car and take it to work for some lunchtime rides.

Sometimes a needed change is to just refresh and get active with the hobby again. I'm still planning on upgrades and bike swaps, but until I do then I'll just make due with the current stable of bikes.
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Life happens, don't be a spectator.