Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's up with vitamins & supplements?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's up with vitamins & supplements?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
True.
Another thing when talking about people in the over 50 catagory and what "suppliments" they use, that needs to be taken into consideration, is that a lot of us got into cycling later in life as a result of some health/weight related issue that "forced" us into some type of exercise program. That in itself sort of implies some kind of deficiencies that might need to be compensated for. So, the over 50 bunch may be more inclined to suppliment use than younger age groups. When I started cycling I had multiple things to deal with... diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, high chlorestoral (sp),over weight, and skin cancer....my doctor told me, you are old and fat, I can do nothing about your age, but if you lose weight and exercise you might get older....hence I started cycling. In the beginning it was just hated exercise, that I hated less than the indoor exercise machine, then I grew to love it as I lost weight, got off my diabetes meds, reduced my blood pressure meds....I just look at is as all the money I spend on bikes and related things, is money I am not giving to my doctors.
Old 05-04-15, 11:45 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
True.
I started cycling. In the beginning it was just hated exercise, that I hated less than the indoor exercise machine, then I grew to love it .
uh huh, and now you own 4 bikes and....

Such a common story.
Old 05-04-15, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yep, it is a pretty common story, both in the over 50 and clyde sections of the forum.
Old 05-04-15, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I take a generic 50+ multivitamin for males each day.

About a month ago, I got my annual blood work done.

My doc, a snotty-nose, smart alec, young punk road cyclist wrote "great labs" on it and stuck it in the mail.

So far, so good.
Old 05-04-15, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
there is some truth to some vitamins and supplements. my 2 cents: "research research research"

I'm currently an advocate for lemons to fight/prevent gout attacks

good luck! :-)
Old 05-04-15, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You should be getting regular check-ups, and be taking what your doc recommends based on your bloodwork. In the US, the vitamin and supplement industry is unregulated and the manufacturers make all sorts of claims and recommendations which, if followed, can be unnecessarily expensive.
Old 05-04-15, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Just as an aside, when one of my orthopedists told me to go buy vitamin D and Ca supplements, he said, "Don't go to the supermarket, the CVS, or to the vitamin/supplement store. Go to the food co-op and get the organic stuff."

Mind you, this guy is no hippy - he's well in to his 60s and a military doc who just returned from a tour in Afghanistan, with a brush haircut and a penchant for telling stories about his younger days as a boxer.

I have no opinion about what this means regarding where you should buy your supplements or if you should buy them at all. A lot of the stuff they sell in the vitamin/supplement section of my food co-op looks to me like something close to snake oil. But for the vitamin D and calcium, I followed his instructions.
Old 05-04-15, 07:36 PM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but I have 20 years experience as an RN, and am a practicing DOM (Doctor of Oriental Medicine--- acupuncture, Chinese herbal therapy, diet therapy, meditation, Qi Gung, etc.) In general, I recommend never taking diet & nutrition advice from an MD, with a very few exceptions (Dr. Weill,for example.) American MDs get virtually zero education in diet & nutrition. Seriously, the girl in the herbs aisle at Whole Foods is more reliable for diet and herbs., though I wouldn't recommend her for significant problems. Do not misunderstand, if you need an MD, see an MD--- they generally know their stuff. They not only do not know herbs and diet, most of them know nothing about herb/drug interactions, food/drug interactions, or what problems can be effectively addressed with herbs or dietary changes. Some docs are suspicious of your desire to try alternate/complimentary therapy. At any rate, many problems CAN be treated without drugs. My own cholesterol creeped up over the years. It was only around 200, so I refused any medicines, until it hit 210. Applying what I know, I made some changes in diet, and started taking some herbs along with niacin, regularly. In 6 months It was 173. I have treated patients with similar protocols and they have had excellent results. Sometimes the big sticks (drugs) are necessary. Sometimes all you need is a nudge in the right direction.
Old 05-05-15, 08:31 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Hey, whatever works for you, but out of curiosity, what does supplementation in BCAA get you that you can't get by eating, say, meat? BCAA are a major constituent of muscle, and so I wouldn't be surprised that a deficiency in BCAA could be associated with muscle cramps. But for the same reason, you get plenty of BCAA by eating meat. We don't generally think this way, but lean meat is simply animal muscle.
Putting BCAAs in your water bottle ≠ eating meat:
Branched-chain amino acid supplementation attenuates muscle soreness, muscle damage and inflammation during an intensive training program. - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-05-15, 11:08 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just met my new PCP (Primary Care Physician), when I told her I like to under-medicate and eat healthy instead of taking vitamins she said, "We're going to get along fine!"
Old 05-05-15, 11:17 AM

Interesting, but besides the point. The described study shows that the group who ingested more BCAA had less muscle soreness. It does not demonstrate or test whether the source of their additional BCAAs (e.g., supplements or enhanced dietary intake) makes a difference.

So, for example, perhaps one could get the same effect by eating a lot of turkey....
(e.g., https://www.livestrong.com/article/54...-bodybuilding/).

Last edited by MinnMan; 05-05-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 12:10 PM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Interesting, but besides the point. The described study shows that the group who ingested more BCAA had less muscle soreness. It does not demonstrate or test whether the source of their additional BCAAs (e.g., supplements or enhanced dietary intake) makes a difference.

So, for example, perhaps one could get the same effect by eating a lot of turkey....
(e.g., Turkey Vs. Chicken for Bodybuilding | LIVESTRONG.COM).
Is that at the caloric rate of 20 cal/5g BCAAs?

I think turkey in my water bottle sounds disgusting, especially so after a few hours on a warm day. Besides, I believe turkey runs ~5g BCAA/lb. lean breast meat, which contains over 600 calories. My usual advice is to only eat back 1/2 calories one expends riding. Eating a pound of turkey before and after doesn't sound that great.
Old 05-05-15, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Besides, I often see wild turkeys on my rides and it would make me feel a bit awkward had I just eaten a turkey sandwich.
Old 05-05-15, 12:41 PM

There's something wrong with the numbers in that Livestrong article I posted. It says that a portion of turkey is 1 lb and has 123 calories. There's no way that is right. So I wouldn't argue the details of that information. The point is that there's no demonstrated advantage in getting particular nutrients via supplements as compared to diet. If you *want* your nutrients in your water bottle, that's fine, but the study you posted doesn't prove that you need to have it in a drink or during exercise or in a packaged material.

Again, I'm sure that some supplements are beneficial, and I take some vitamins (for example), but for me personally the lesson is chiefly that I should try my best to eat a healthy balanced diet, rather than eat without thought and depending instead on supplements.
Old 05-05-15, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I think turkey in my water bottle sounds disgusting...
Not only disgusting, but perhaps physically impossible. How would one get a turkey into one's water bottle?
Old 05-05-15, 02:15 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
My problem with supplements is that I don't know what's in them. There's no regulation, no official testing.

Do I take them? Occasionally I'll take a fish oil tablet if I'm not eating fish a couple of times a week. Mostly, I try to eat healthy meals and exercise, with some of it in the sun.

To the OP, I don't think I have seen much discussion about supplements on the forums I read on this website.
Old 05-05-15, 04:33 PM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by icyclist
My problem with supplements is that I don't know what's in them. There's no regulation, no official testing.

Do I take them? Occasionally I'll take a fish oil tablet if I'm not eating fish a couple of times a week. Mostly, I try to eat healthy meals and exercise, with some of it in the sun.

To the OP, I don't think I have seen much discussion about supplements on the forums I read on this website.
The problem is that the BF search engine is mostly useless. Try googling "supplements site:https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutrition/" of course without the quotes. There ya go.

It is sad that there's no product testing. Of course many, many people use the popular supplements from major brands and have opinions about whether or not they do what they're supposed to. Thus there is some responsibility shown by the major brands to produce pure high quality material.

There's also the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) testing. No brand can afford to have an athlete using their products fail a WADA test. At least one has a pretty good idea what's not in a product.
Old 05-05-15, 06:11 PM
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Supplements;

They make con artists rich and,

your pee really expensive!

Eat good food!
+100
Old 05-06-15, 03:12 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I enjoy eating, I eat right, love the taste of good foods, Vitamin's have no taste, are often full of sugar to make you feel good.

I take my vitamin/supplement money and spend it on good food. GOOD FOODS cost money. I'm 56 I feel 30...

I beat arthritis with a mountain bike and water.
I beat two herniated disks with exercise and water.
I beat high blood pressure and bad cholesterol with proper diet, exercise and water.
I got my weight and body fat Index in the sweet spot with my bikes and proper diet, exercise and water.

Vitamins, supplements, really ? Your Kidding right ? ,,,

Of course for people who stress about life or work too much or don't get enough rest or eat poorly,,
Vitamin's and supplement's may be the only way you can survive....

Last edited by osco53; 05-06-15 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 02:34 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Definitely a difference between the american health service and the British!
Went to see the nurse for a good test. Here, us oldies were encouraged to have regular tests, without having to bother the Quack. So I go in to see him. A good looking young Scot with an Edinburgh accent. Designed to wind up the English, and he did. To perfection.
Yes?
I'm here for a blood test.
Why?
Because I asked for one.
Who sent you?
I did.
How am I to know what to test for?
You test for general conditions commensurate with the age and records of the patient, which you have in front of you.
Old 05-07-15, 02:39 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Can't do that without a doctors authority.

He was looking at me unnervingly all the time.

Things have changed in my country.
Old 05-07-15, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
I enjoy eating, I eat right, love the taste of good foods, Vitamin's have no taste, are often full of sugar to make you feel good.

I take my vitamin/supplement money and spend it on good food. GOOD FOODS cost money. I'm 56 I feel 30...

I beat arthritis with a mountain bike and water.
I beat two herniated disks with exercise and water.
I beat high blood pressure and bad cholesterol with proper diet, exercise and water.
I got my weight and body fat Index in the sweet spot with my bikes and proper diet, exercise and water.

Vitamins, supplements, really ? Your Kidding right ? ,,,

Of course for people who stress about life or work too much or don't get enough rest or eat poorly,,
Vitamin's and supplement's may be the only way you can survive....
I have to chuckle at this. 50c a week doesn't do much in upgrading my food.

And I am almost 60, but still work a physically heavy-duty, five-day-a-week job. The colour of my urine is my personal test for the uptake of Vitamin B in particular.

I also learned on long-distance rides -- that's three 1200, two 1000, three or four 600 and 400 and innumerable 200s and centuries that Vitamin B is a pretty important vitamin for me, and lack of it manifests itself in a sore tongue and the onset of mouth ulcers.

I also take glucosamine and I've noted when I go off it, my knee and hip and finger joints start to become painful. And I seem to have a deficiency in magnesium, so I take a supplement to counter missed heartbeats.

Much is made about people who eat a good diet don't need vitamins. I would have thought that venturing outside this forum into, say, the Clydesdale and Athenas forum, or the Training and Nutrition forum would indicate that there are many people who don't have a balanced diet, especially those who rely on fast food and restaurants and processed packaged food to provide their nutrition. Anyone who engages in a physical activity might also be in deficit in regard to the need for vitamins.

I eat a pretty good diet these days -- a fair bit of fruit, quite a lot of vegetables, fish, whole grains...
Old 05-08-15, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
So.....which chain lube do y'all use?
Chain? Hell, I don't waste it on my chain. I drink it.
Old 05-11-15, 07:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While im sure that genetics are 80% or more of it, I have taken a vitamin and mineral pill most of my life. Im 77, never been in a hospital, and could easily pass for being in my late 50s. I ride approx 2500 miles a year which quite probably helps a great deal also.
Old 05-11-15, 08:10 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I tend to take a multi-vitamin pretty regularly, and now I am rethinking it.

I just heard about a study (and I haven't researched further yet) that followed people on an exercise regimen to research the the impact of antioxidants. Two groups were studied, one with placebos, and the other with vitamin E and C supplementation.

The study claims to have shown that the cellular markers usually associated with the benefits of antioxidants were actually more pronounced on the cells of those who were not taking the supplements.

So, in effect, if it is confirmed with other studies etc, taking supplemental C and E can actually hinder your body from doing what the vitamins were traditionally suggested to improve. What I heard seemed to indicate it was for people who were exercising, so I am not sure if studies have shown different results for the more sedentary.

I eat poorly sometimes, but I have always felt that the best answer is a good healthy diet instead of supplementation... For me the supplementation comes in when I know I am not eating right.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.