User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5-Hour Energy drinks

When I buy something from Competitive Cyclist I get these free 5-Hour Energy cans. I've never used the stuff and am a little suspicious. What I am wondering is would one of these be a good thing at the end of a ride especially if you are feeling depleted?

My Bikes
    Beater single speed/fixie, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Giant Composite XTC 29er 1, Specialized Dolce Sport, (2) Trek 7.1FX, Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Munch on some caffeine pills and eat out of the sugar bowl. It's about the same thing just with pretty labels and tons of propaganda.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, be sure to know what you just drank. I grabbed one of their extra strength versions about 4yrs ago and wont do that again. I like to ride with a little boost but in this case the "extra" was a heavy shot of that sneaky B-6. Half hour later and was hit with the insidious Niacin Flush.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chocolate milk for me, although a friend takes the 5 Hour stuff before a ride and says it works for him.

My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fogeddaboutit!
    Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will find one day that those unregulated energy drinks cause cancer......All that sugar and no telling what un-pronounceable stuff Is in there,,,

If you need a pre-ride kick drink Coffee. If you need a mid ride Kick eat protein...

I always drink a cup of coffee on the drive out to the trail head..
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.”
    Mark Twain

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't Walter White producing supercharged energy drinks full of methamphetamine or have I been watching too much Breaking Bad.

I'm really annoyed that our local public radio station accepts money from 5-Hour Energy and plays 'ads' for them.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't touch them, its too much like eating caffeine tablets, and dipping them in sugar (as said, somewhat differently.) Up to you, you're a big boy and capable of making decisions, but........

Agree with you Jan, NPR has crossed line there, to me. Just not what I want my membership in the local affiliate used to advertise.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    What I am wondering is would one of these be a good thing at the end of a ride especially if you are feeling depleted?
    I brew a pot of coffee and chicory every day. On work days, I take a thermos to work. On weekends, I'll put the thermos in the truck if I'm driving to a starting point. I usually have a couple of cups on the way home after a long ride. If it has been a taxing ride, I'll start with a chocolate milk ASAP after the ride, then I'll go for the coffee. If I'm riding from the abode, I'll hit the thermos when I walk in.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some caffeine = good, mega-dose, not so good.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried 5 Hour Energy and Red Bull for that matter. They do give me a boost but IMO it's not worth it when they make me jittery and uncomfortable in my skin. I don't know for sure if there is a connection but I had some arrhythmia issues so I steer clear of all that artificial energy stuff. I'll go for a tankard of coffee before I head out to ride. Once in a while I'll take half a caffeine tablet if I'm really dragging that's it.
    On long rides I use Hammer Gel, Espresso, that has caffeine. That seems to be enough for me.

My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    When I buy something from Competitive Cyclist I get these free 5-Hour Energy cans. I've never used the stuff and am a little suspicious. What I am wondering is would one of these be a good thing at the end of a ride especially if you are feeling depleted?
    I've tried them. All they do for me is give me acid reflux.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden half dozen 200 milers.
    Water worked fine for me; but that was before all the gimmicky energy $tuff!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That junk is for kids that can't stand the taste of black coffee, punks!
    IGH's, Dyno Hubs, LED lights and old frames

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr IGH View Post
    That junk is for kids that can't stand the taste of black coffee, punks!
    That would be me. I've used the energy drinks: Monster, Rock Star, etc; but I can only do one, and it's only good for about 25 miles before the fuel runs out regardless of the stimulants.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.4 FX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried one about a year ago and will never do that again. I also can't believe what they charge for those little bottles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need that 5 hour energy stuff. Just take a 40mph dog on a leash with you when you ride. You won't be inattentive or tired I guarantee it. (Sorry, I couldn't resist after the beat down I received regarding dogs and bikes)

My Bikes
    1995 Colnago Tecnos, 2013 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2008 Ciocc Exige
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the various energy drinks, but I had an interesting experience about a year ago. A graduate student at the university where I work was doing a research project to measure the effects of Monster energy drink on performance. I volunteered to participate. Once a week for three weeks I would drink a tall glass of some concoction and then ride ten miles on a stationary bike with all sorts of monitoring stuff attached to my body. One week it was a full dose of Monster, one week half and half Monster and Kool-aid, one week only Kool-aid. The volunteers didn't know which was which until after the experiment. The upshot is that my performance, oxygen intake and recovery were all best the time I had the Kool-aid and no Monster drink. And I don't think it's because Kool-aid is such a great performance enhancer!
    On the other hand, I did have a 5-Hour Energy drink one time when I had to drive home from the Dallas airport at 2:00 a.m. It kept me awake the whole way.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used them ... but pretty much only on long endurance rides, where I wanted to stay awake.

I think different people may react to them differently. In any case for me, they seemed to be effective in keeping me awake, but not in the way that caffeine does ... kind of hard to describe, actually.

I would not use them every day, though. And I don't think they even claim to be a good for recovery after physical exercise.

Give them a try and see what you think.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    I've used them ... but pretty much only on long endurance rides, where I wanted to stay awake.

I think different people may react to them differently. In any case for me, they seemed to be effective in keeping me awake, but not in the way that caffeine does ... kind of hard to describe, actually.

I would not use them every day, though. And I don't think they even claim to be a good for recovery after physical exercise.

Give them a try and see what you think.
    The ones with B-12 will act as a non-jittery long acting stimulant. Or as I do, take a bunch before leaving in the morning.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor said to leave them alone, so I've never touched them.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

6367 km away from the center of the Earth
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caffeine Limits Blood Flow To Heart Muscle During Exercise
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0114232653.htm

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large cup of cold press iced coffee does it for me. No milk, no sugar. I stop in to the local coffee place on my way to weekend morning rides and get my dose.