Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Reversing stem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reversing stem

As I get older (61), it seems my position on my road bike gets more and more uncomfortable. I've got my saddle height about right, so I think the problem may be that the handlebar is too low (about 2-3" lower than the saddle). Since the steerer tube has been cut, I can't raise the stem. My only option, if i keep the same stem (3TTT Forgie), is to flip it. This would bring the handlebar up to about even with the top of the saddle. My question is: how will this affect the handling of the bike? Will I have to change any other measurements like saddle height, fore and aft, reach etc.? My back and neck would like to know! BTW, the stem length is right (view of the front hub is obscured with my hands on the hoods) and I ride a Cannondale R2000 Caad 5.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have flipped my stem before, actually going in the opposite direction from that which you want to go. Even though the handling didn't seem to be affected, I would imagine that it does have at least a small bearing. If you flip the stem it may require that the fore/aft position of the seat be changed also. You may also feel more comfortable with the seat nose down a slight amount more with the bars up. My Thomson post with a micro adjust worked great for this. You mention that the front hub is obscured with your hands on the hoods. This is a quick way to tell on most bikes if your stem length is correct, but there are other factors that need to be considered. For instance, on my touring bike, the front hub is obscured when I am on the hoods, but on my road bike I can see a portion of the hub from under the bars. I am more spread out and probably much more aero on the road bike, but I still have bend in my arms and never have back pain even on century rides.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising the handlebars will have the effect of making them slightly closer to the seat. But the difference will be minimal, and it shouldn't affect handling. I say go ahead and try it. If you don't like it, you can always put it back, right?

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabike
    I have flipped my stem before, actually going in the opposite direction from that which you want to go.
    Same here. When I got my Litespeed the stem was flipped up. I didn't like the feel of riding "upright" so I flipped the stem so the handlebars were in a more comfortable (lower) position. That was in 2001 when I was just a kid of 56 years of age.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hjbiker43
    As I get older (61), it seems my position on my road bike gets more and more uncomfortable. I've got my saddle height about right, so I think the problem may be that the handlebar is too low (about 2-3" lower than the saddle). Since the steerer tube has been cut, I can't raise the stem. My only option, if i keep the same stem (3TTT Forgie), is to flip it. This would bring the handlebar up to about even with the top of the saddle. My question is: how will this affect the handling of the bike? Will I have to change any other measurements like saddle height, fore and aft, reach etc.? My back and neck would like to know! BTW, the stem length is right (view of the front hub is obscured with my hands on the hoods) and I ride a Cannondale R2000 Caad 5.
    I have astem that is reversible on my mountain bike. If I do a road ride the I reverse the stem to give me a low bar style. Seems to make me inclined to work harder, but my neck pays for it after about 50 miles.
    However, the last road ride I did was a spur of the moment decision and all I had time to change was the tyres. High stem, no neck ache, time to look around a bit, talk to people and the same average for the same 65 mile ride of last year with bike "Properly" set up for a road ride.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hjbiker43
    WAIT A MINUTE, MATE. HOLD ON NOW!!!!!

Look for and buy an "adjustable" stem rather than turn yours around. I've equipped all 3 of my bike
    with a "kalloy" brand adjustable stem and love'm. I can dial in the handlebar fit just right .

Turning your stem around will make the bike steer screwy so take care here, mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see any reason not to just flip that sucker over. I raised my bars three years ago (all my bikes have quill stems, so it was easy) and I'll never go back. It's SO much more comfortable, and hasn't cost me any speed. If anything, I'm in better shape, because I can stay on the bike longer.
    Grant Petersen at Rivendell (www.rivbike.com) is a big fan of keeping the bars at least level with the saddle. He claims drop bars were developed to be installed that way, to allow a comfortable cruising position on the tops with a lower, aero position on the drops. Over the years people just kept lowering them until now the tops are almost where the drops used to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad

Look for and buy an "adjustable" stem rather than turn yours around. I've equipped all 3 of my bike
    with a "kalloy" brand adjustable stem and love'm. I can dial in the handlebar fit just right .

Turning your stem around will make the bike steer screwy so take care here, mate.

Please explain to me how adjusting the handlebar height by flipping the stem will cause the Bike to steer screwy, but adjusting the handlebar height by a "kalloy" brand adjustable stem won't.

Neither one will cause any serious change in the steering, so go for the flip. If you find that too high for your liking, then spend the money for the adjustable stem.

I am a lonely visitor RegularGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad

I think that hjbiker is contemplating flipping his stem over, not turning it backwards.
    Religion is a good thing for good people and a bad thing for bad people. --H. Richard Niebuhr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flip it over and don't look back! 10 minutes and you're done. Mine was 3" lower than the seat and now it's almost leveled.
    When I get younger I plan to switch it over again and give it a try on racy mode
    Good Luck