Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in the rain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the rain

POURING rain here and of course I want to ride but pondering getting drenched and having to clean and re-lube everything. I know there are die-hard riders here but does anyone INTENTIONALLY set out to ride in the rain?.. I have an old motorcycle rain suit I could wear but there's also wet braking to consider, loss of traction etc. etc. Another factor is the lack of fenders on my bike. I've never owned a bike w/o them but imagine I'd get quite a stream of water kicked up on to me by the front and back tires.
Old 05-29-15, 12:53 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know what you mean. I wussed out on commuting today because it was pouring when I normally leave and has been raining all day.
Old 05-29-15, 01:00 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You must be feeling better, huh?

I only ride in the rain when I get caught in it, never plan it! And, my bikes have fenders.

You're right - no fenders is a yukky mess, and you have no idea what you are throwing at yourself............. unless you happen to see an occasional unmentionable....

Rain days, equal a day of rest and recovery.
Old 05-29-15, 01:16 PM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
t does anyone INTENTIONALLY set out to ride in the rain?.
If you commute it can be Blue Bird weather in the AM and raining when quitting time rolls around, a commuter bike w/ full fenders and a cheap rainjacket stashed are well advised unless one wished to call for mommy-van-rescue.

I don't have to maintain a structured training schedule anymore so going out into a deluge on purpose is not going to happen.
Often it rains overnight and the roads are soaking wet, as this AM.
My winter/wet bike w/ full fenders made for a pleasant ride w/ no discomfort or time consuming clean-up.

Taking a page from traditional British club cyclists and riding a machine that will accept full fenders and carry enough stuff for a self supported weekend tour at pace on secondary roads makes sense for many recreational riders. That design is sadly lacking in most modern machines today. Instead of asking "How light?" ask "What size tires fit with full mudguards installed?".

-Bandera
Old 05-29-15, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I miss riding in the rain, no seriously. But now that I don't bike commute I pick and choose when to ride. The rain used to make it interesting and I was all geared up for whatever mother nature wanted to throw at me. Now I'm just a boring fair weather rider.
Old 05-29-15, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't choose to ride in the rain but I don't cancel just because its raining.
Old 05-29-15, 01:31 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Only If I get Caught out there, I got a Mustang and a Pickup truck, the bikes stay at home if Its raining.

I plan on making It to retirement...
Old 05-29-15, 01:31 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
I like riding in the rain - I have rain clothes and a rain bike with rain tires. I draw the line at visibility and safety though... if it's that bad, I stay home.
Old 05-29-15, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
You must be feeling better, huh?

I only ride in the rain when I get caught in it, never plan it! And, my bikes have fenders.

You're right - no fenders is a yukky mess, and you have no idea what you are throwing at yourself............. unless you happen to see an occasional unmentionable....

Rain days, equal a day of rest and recovery.
Well, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hip and sitting on the couch isn't going to make it go away.
Old 05-29-15, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When I was a kid, I loved riding in the rain. I'm not a kid anymore and I no longer like it. At all.
Old 05-29-15, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A year ago I would because all I had was one bike, no fitness, and a m/c rain suit. The bike wasn't going to ride itself. A year plus on, I have 4 bikes a rack and two panniers which I LOVE because I can add or shed clothing according to the weather.

Last saturday we expected some rain but not much. Then got hit with a mini hurricane. All of us hunkered and weaving against the wind barely able to see as we pushed on to the nearest overpass where by the time we reached it, the rain had stopped. Natch. No matter to me as it was the first time since childhood I'd been caught in a deluge. I had a blast. It cleared, the weather was warm, we continued our ride until lunch. After lunch it felt like it might rain again and we'd cooled off so I dug out the jacket I'd brought. And began to sweat in it soon after. Bleh. But no rain and we got back to the start point where I put the jacket back in the bag and rode home. One of my favorite rides so far. Plus, I plan to tour and there will be rain, so............
Old 05-29-15, 02:23 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
POURING rain here and of course I want to ride but pondering getting drenched and having to clean and re-lube everything. I know there are die-hard riders here but does anyone INTENTIONALLY set out to ride in the rain?.. I have an old motorcycle rain suit I could wear but there's also wet braking to consider, loss of traction etc. etc. Another factor is the lack of fenders on my bike. I've never owned a bike w/o them but imagine I'd get quite a stream of water kicked up on to me by the front and back tires.
Set out to riding the pouring rain... yes, like 4 hours ago. ... and likely to go out again in 30 minutes. Both trips today are going to the grocery store, I could take the car, but I like to bike.

1) FENDERS!
2) Unless you are the Wicked Witch of the West, you will not melt.
3) You do not need to re-lube everything. Typically the chain will need fresh lube after a long (15-20 miles) in the rain. I normally lube my chains a couple times a month, no big deal. And the right chain lube helps, waxes hold better in the rain (IMO) - I like T-9 & I have put it the test many, many times.
4) FENDERS!

To the point of #3 , my primary commuting bike (Kona Dew Drop), I ride this bike in ALL conditions, rain, snow, sleet, and a couple gravel centuries. I just replace the front wheel after 12,000 miles, I never rebuilt or lubed the front hub during that 12,000 miles.

Cleaning the bike after rain.... not so much. A clean bike is a sad bike. I clean my bikes on a schedule, generally once very couple months, or prior to a major ride.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 05-29-15 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added #4
Old 05-29-15, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
..Taking a page from traditional British club cyclists and riding a machine that will accept full fenders and carry enough stuff for a self supported weekend tour at pace on secondary roads makes sense for many recreational riders. That design is sadly lacking in most modern machines today. Instead of asking "How light?" ask "What size tires fit with full mudguards installed?".

-Bandera
The minimal clearance on most carbon wonders has kept me on my old steel steeds all these years. Now that other people are riding gravel roads and such, there are at least some bikes being made that can accept wider tires. I expect even more to appear now that it has been shown that wider tires reduce rolling resistance (while increasing comfort).

Back on topic, if I didn't set out on rides when it was raining, I wouldn't get very many rides in. In normal years, it starts raining here in early October and stops in mid-June, with an obligatory week of sunny weather in February and again in April. However, who knows if we'll ever see "normal" weather hereabouts again.

Lots of wool layers with a light rain jacket can go a long way in terms of making rainy day rides enjoyable. I also have some neoprene gloves that are awesome on rainy mornings.
Old 05-29-15, 05:13 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We ride in the rain. If it doesn't rain, we ride. If it rains, we ride. We even ride in graupel.

It's a good idea to take a rag and wipe the chain after a rain ride. Nothing more. After the bike dries, have a look and if the chain looks dry, add lube and wipe again. I use a wet lube that will last a couple hundred miles in the rain. I always check the tires after every ride, wet or dry. I won't wash the bike unless it's really groady and we'll be going on a dry event ride or I have some free time on a nice day and aren't riding. Riding in the rain is like going to the car wash. The bike comes back quite clean. It's riding on wet roads with no rain that gets a bike dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
graupel.jpg (90.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-29-15, 06:30 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll commute if it's sprinkling or threatening, and often get away with it. But, a few times I have been caught in downpours, and they are no fun but survivable. So, would I take off in a downpour? No. Not from home. But I would to get home and have.
Old 05-29-15, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed with the dedication of those who intentionally ride in the rain. I didn't go today but if I'd had fenders I might have. We had thunderstorms so I can't say I was too thrilled at the idea of riding through a microburst and dodging renegade electrons
Old 05-29-15, 08:40 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will go out in the rain but it depends upon the season and my training needs.

We have little rain right now and my fitness is good, so, missing one day is no big deal. Other times, it might be rainy for a whole week and then, I must ride in the rain....no real choice. I did three Brevets this year in pouring rain and two of them had sleet and snow. I was seriously hypothermic on one of them.

Ya, I ride in the rain.
Old 05-29-15, 08:55 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm in the PNW so no choice. Actually, my favorite riding weather is a 'Scotch mist' - i.e. very light drizzle. The air is just so much fresher in my lungs. I find a rain shell and tights/shorts works - body heat is enough to evaporate most of the dampness. I switch to the Gore-Tex hikers. Rain is hard on the drive train, though.
Old 05-29-15, 09:15 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
does anyone INTENTIONALLY set out to ride in the rain?
Yes. I've been car-free since 1999. I wouldn't be employed for very long if I called-in to work every time it rained.

I have an old motorcycle rain suit I could wear but there's also wet braking to consider, loss of traction etc. etc. Another factor is the lack of fenders on my bike. I've never owned a bike w/o them but imagine I'd get quite a stream of water kicked up on to me by the front and back tires.
Forget the motorcycle rain suit. You will become drenched in sweat inside it--just as wet as you would be from the rain, but now, with bonus stickiness and stinkiness. I've found that even cycling-specific rainwear becomes a liability above about 50-55F. Over those temperatures, I dispense with rainwear entirely.

The key is simply accepting that you're going to get wet. Getting wet isn't such a big deal. After all, you intentionally and voluntarily get wet in the bath, shower, or swimming pool and nothing bad happens. The only difference when cycling is that you're clothed.

Just remember that once you're drenched, you can't get any wetter. Wicking wear that works for sweat, works equally well for rain. Wicking wear holds considerably less water than regular clothes, isn't nearly as uncomfortable and clingy, and dries faster too.

Rather than use rainwear in a futile attempt to stay dry, my secret weapon comes out at the end of the ride. A towel. It magically removes wetness so I can change into work clothes. I say it in this tongue-in-cheek way because I've ridden with bike commuters who never gave it thought that a towel after the ride would work tons better than rainwear during the ride. Even with rainwear, you still need the towel, and if it's above that 50-55F, you'll need a shower and a clothes dryer too.

See? Just getting wet is easier and simpler to manage. Plus, something about the rainwater makes my skin and hair feel so much softer and smoother.

As for braking, disc brakes if you have 'em, KoolStop's salmon-colored pads if you don't. Pavement markings and manhole covers are treacherous, so be careful. Some tires are better in the wet than others. For example, Conti Gatorskins are terrible. But Conti 4-Seasons are wonderful.

Fenders are very, very nice. Everyone thinks first about the back one to prevent skunk stripe. But the front one keeps all that dirty street water off your face, and out of your mouth, nose and eyes.

As for the bike, use a persistent, clingy, wet lube. The best I've found is sold by BF's own #FBinNY Chain-L stands up to not only rain, but winter snow, slush and salt as well. In even the worst of weather I don't need to clean and relube more than once a week or two. And in the dry, I go for months at a time without needing to relube. And yet, my chains last longer than with constant cleaning and other lubes I used to use.

For the rest, remember, bicycles are outdoor equipment. They're made to be used outdoors in the environment. A little environment won't hurt them.

And it won't hurt you either.

Last edited by tsl; 05-29-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
In Oregon you miss a lot of riding if you are not willing to ride in the rain.

We had rain 35 days out of 90 on this tour. Good raingear, waterproof bags, and fenders make it bearable.

When on extended rides I clean the bikes at every opportunity, hopefully, at least once a week. A lot of campgrounds and hotels/motels have a hose bib somewhere handy. On long trips I do daily maintenance while my wife works on her trip journal. If no hose is available, a water bottle works too.
Old 05-30-15, 05:38 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use a helmet cover, a Grunden's rain cape,Rivedell Splats to cover my feet and a good set of fenders. I just don't let rain stop me.

Marc
Old 05-30-15, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 21d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
\

The key is simply accepting that you're going to get wet. Getting wet isn't such a big deal. After all, you intentionally and voluntarily get wet in the bath, shower, or swimming pool and nothing bad happens. The only difference when cycling is that you're clothed.

For the rest, remember, bicycles are outdoor equipment. They're made to be used outdoors in the environment. A little environment won't hurt them.

And it won't hurt you either.
tsi, you are awesome. Your post is a keeper.
Old 05-30-15, 07:06 AM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
When I was a kid, I loved riding in the rain. I'm not a kid anymore and I no longer like it. At all.
This.

It's one of the few things I can "claim" that shows I have grown up. I know enough to stay out of the rain.
Old 05-30-15, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TSL's post should win an award. Thanks for the in depth look at riding in the wet. Excellent advice!
Old 05-30-15, 07:39 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I should also clarify - while I don't go out in the rain, I don't let the threat or possibility of rain stop me from riding. If I get wet, I get wet. Buttttt, I'd prefer to stay dry, and not have to clean the bike, if I don't have to.

Same thing for snow and ice - I don't do either since my crash, because I'd rather not get more stitches.... LOL - but still do occasionally ride during winter, if pavement is dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.