Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That stabbing pain.

I should have seen it coming. All the factors were there. A dentist visit in the AM and a mouth full of novicane prevented me from eating properly. I started the ride at 1PM, when it was already 85F. I headed north, and had a wonderful tailwind so the first half (distance-wise) of the 55mile ride went really quickly. Then I turned around to head home. It was hotter. The headwind was directly in my face at 20-30MPH. Temps were pushing 90F. I hadn't eaten enough, and, apparently, didn't drink enough. I took a break with 8 miles left, sucked down the last packet of gell, and kepy going. Then it happened, with two miles left. I was climbing the last hill, or trying to, when it felt like a knife in the quads. Both of them. I was off the bike and walking it up a damned hill, something I haven't done since I was a kid, and all due to heat, lack of food, and no powerade, I guess. Anyway, the upshot it that even at this advanced age, there are lessons out there in the heat.

Back on the bike the next morning for a recover ride and all was fine.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride hard In the Mid Day Florida Heat and Humidity, Single Track, It's a Mountain bike thing, Very Intense.

I feel your pain, If I don't pee clear at the trail head I don't ride...
    Eating correctly the day before, the morning of and during the ride Is as Important for me as the hydration..
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.”
    Mark Twain

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could have been worse. When you mentioned the Dentist, I was suspecting to hear the phrase "dry socket" toward the end there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what a dry socket is...? I was there for a temporary crown, which all went well. But that damned Novocaine is brutal and I couldn't really eat much as a result. Back on the bike tomorrow and Wednesday. All is well here.

My Bikes
    1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought after reading the subject line was - Which one?
    The Ride to Conquer Cancer is a two-day 150 mile cycling event. Funds raised will support breakthrough research, exemplary teaching, and compassionate care made possible through Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, Sibley Memorial and Suburban Hospitals.

To Donate click below:
    http://www.ridetovictory.org/site/TR...nal&fr_id=1091
    Thanks!

My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer, about 90 miles into my century, I developed cramps in both legs. I felt it coming after about 80 miles, but figured I could drink enough water to keep going. No dice. When they hit, I thought I was toast. Then I remembered I had some Emergen-C in my saddle bag that had salts and potassium in it. So, I poured two packets into my mouth and chased it down with 20 ounces of water. A minute later, my legs felt good as new.

I made it home without incident. Not sure if the packets did it or my head tricked my body. But, it seemed to work. So, I now use that stuff regularly on hot days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Emergen-C. I'll get some and keep it handy. Good tip.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Shimano 105 rear, Ultegra front; Hawk Racing Wheels, bottom bracket and Jockey wheels; Bontrager Race lite carbon fiber handlebars! & Speedplay pedals
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    Ah. Emergen-C. I'll get some and keep it handy. Good tip.
    For me it's a mustard pack that breaks the cramps, always keep one handy. Andy