Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone over 60 switch to a bent?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone over 60 switch to a bent?

Old 10-05-05, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
General questions for anyone on a recumbent, and just because I'm curious about them...

1) Are they as fast as a road bike?

2) How are they on hills?

3) What about visibility, both from your perspective and from the perspective of drivers? They seem to be a lot lower.
My take:
1) Depending on the bike, speeds range from 'comparable to a hybrid or city bike' to breathtakingly fast.
2) Generally slower on middle- or small-ring hills. Face it, you can't stand. OTOH the fast models don't lose speed as quickly at the bottom of a hill, so if the hill's short you can blast over the top and waste the uprights.
3) I ride mostly in rural conditions, and have had no problems with them seeing me on my lowracer. In the 'bad' column, I sometimes have trouble seeing over the grass at rural intersections, so I have to slow more while my upright-riding buddies just blast through. (My taller, 'standard' SWB recumbent is similar to a road bike in speed and has no problems with vision or visibility, in any environment.)
Old 10-08-05, 07:03 AM

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to bents back when I was 55. Now I'm 60. I commute 18 miles round trip everyday. Last year I broke my femur and as a result have lost a lot of power in the leg. I added an electric power assist, and I'm right back up and running even better than before.
Some bents are lower than others. If this is a concern, choose one that has a higher seat. Most of them put you at the same eye level as a motorist. I've never found "visibility" to be a problem, in fact they give you a wider berth, just because of the "weird" perception they have of a recumbent bike on the road. Hills are different. You can't stand up, so you just spin in a lower gear. Since you can't stand up, you can put a lot more pressure on the knees, so care must be taken at first not to use too high a gear to go uphill. With the right rider, a bent can be a very fast vehicle. All human powered land speed records are held by recumbent bikes.
Old 10-08-05, 07:43 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just turned 61 and still riding my Cannondale Saeco CAD3, my Fuji Touring, and my Co-Motion Co-Pilot. Who needs a bent?
Old 10-09-05, 03:38 AM
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyler
Just turned 61 and still riding my Cannondale Saeco CAD3, my Fuji Touring, and my Co-Motion Co-Pilot. Who needs a bent?
There wasn't any need for me. I just wanted to do it. I haven't "switched over to a bent" entirely either as I still ride my Stumpie and Pista as well as my Baron. They are all quite different to ride and I enjoy all three for the specific riding situations I use them for. I do understand how some long-entrenched cyclists will always think poorly of bents but I figure what they are not willing to explore limits them to the ordinary. I dislike limitations.