Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long Road Back, But I'm Back (kinda long)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-04-15, 03:16 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In June 2013 I was rear-ended in Portland, Oregon. Not a lot of damage to my truck, as it was stop and go traffic and the guy that hit me didn't stop (I was the last stopped car in the train at the moment I was hit).

September before I was riding again, and then not a whole lot since I had been almost entirely immobile during most of my treatment. Got back to my commuting, slowly, but by November was feeling pretty good - the ride up the big hill to my house at the end of the day moved from being a survival exercise to normal riding again.

Then they changed my job on me. The gent at the foundry that worked in my field left for another job, so I was now on the point for both facilities, a foundry and a mill. About 8 miles apart. Multiple trips back and forth and all that rot. So from December 2013 until December 2014, maybe six commutes, possibly a dozen. Not my normal mileage at all.

Last ride on my road bike was June 2014, and I flatted out and didnt have long enough stems on my replacement tubes and had to make the call of shame (coworker rescued me, it was a lunch ride).

More on the job: In the late 90's, I had been assigned to the foundry in my function - the goal was to bring it up to standard. What a mess. The hours and stress level were horrible, and if a non shootin' kind of job could kill you, this one was trying. Then in about 2001, the companies were divorced (had been joined in a merger in 1998). Took me years before I could drive past the foundry without a physical reaction like a panic attack. Said I'd never do it again...

Well, I did it for 12 months, and found a job in northern New Mexico. Kids out of the house, still in the NW, but it was just me and the wife and the two dogs. So we started the adventure.

Been planning to get on the bike again, aiming for July 4 once we got here and I could project what my weight would be. Had ballooned up to 235 or so, and have been dieting pretty hard since mid-March (Medifast). Down to 190 now, aiming for 175. But the bike date was set for today, 4 July 2015.

Found that my cycling jerseys all fit looser (what an understatement), and the shorts are big enough to need replacement. But found kit enough for today. Dug the pump up in the garage, got the tires up to pressure, and headed out after watching a few hours of TdF.

I hadn't forgotten that riding was good for my psyche, but I certainly had forgotten how that good feels. WOW. Rode around the perimeter of our subdivision, looking over the canyon down to the river. Very glad the mtn bike cassette is still on my road bike, as a couple of times I needed the big one back there. And, I speed-limited!!!! Yep, 25mph on a gentle slope down - a speed I would average for stretches in the flats just so recently...

But a GLORIOUS ride, decked out in my 50+ jersey, no coronary, no cramps, returned alive. Alive and so thrilled to have budged that boulder, so now that it's on the move....

Still looking for riding groups, organized events, etc, but very happy to be back on the saddle. And after 16 miles in a bit over an hour, my butt don't hurt too bad.

David
Old 07-04-15, 04:24 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congrats!! Where in NM?
Old 07-04-15, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Los Alamos.
Old 07-04-15, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Excellent!!!!

....my butt don't hurt too bad.......

Remember what they say about the hurt......it's the second or third day when the pain shows up....... Good luck and watch the lbs. really disappear now that the bike is in use.
Old 07-04-15, 05:18 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by david58
Los Alamos.
OK - I have done some riding in Santa Fe (SF Century) and Ruidoso. Just wondering a bit.
Old 07-04-15, 11:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Excellent!!!!

....my butt don't hurt too bad.......

Remember what they say about the hurt......it's the second or third day when the pain shows up....... Good luck and watch the lbs. really disappear now that the bike is in use.
That's why I stopped when I did. Had planned a hike for tomorrow, but our Independence Day celebration went longer than planned, so I may ride again. Stopping at one hour, don't want to be a cripple this early.
Old 07-13-15, 05:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crap!!!!!

Saturday was prepping for a ride, and decided to use my almost unused commuter helmet. But wanted to ride "cool" - had to remove the mirror and the light, which were attached with zip ties, so that I would look appropriately cool on my BMC.

Had a nice sharp pocketknife, that I had just sharpened the night before (take a wild guess where this is going....). Decided to use it to cut the tie wraps.

Well, the workplace safety nazi earned his Village Idiot award. Knife slipped, and sliced very effectively, and deeply, into the meat of my hand at the base of my thumb. Nine stitches. And off the bike until the sucker quits hurting when I touch it.

So back out of the saddle, but not for long.

And be careful, folks - almost all of us do stupid things and escape unscathed. Until we don't.

David
Old 07-13-15, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, its funny how you almost (but not quite) see these things coming before you do them. Then afterwards you say I knew I shouldn't have done that. If only we could back that up a few seconds. Just like the other day when i tripped and fell hard on my knee (right on to a sharp rock of course) while running downhill on a root and rock infested trail. I knew it was a bad idea........afterwards. Hope the hand heals quickly for you!
Old 07-13-15, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenwing
Yeah, its funny how you almost (but not quite) see these things coming before you do them. Then afterwards you say I knew I shouldn't have done that. If only we could back that up a few seconds. Just like the other day when i tripped and fell hard on my knee (right on to a sharp rock of course) while running downhill on a root and rock infested trail. I knew it was a bad idea........afterwards. Hope the hand heals quickly for you!
x25.4....haven't had one of them "I know this is a bad idea, but...." moments in close to a week. Be thinkin' that inch and quarter long third degree burn on my inner left thigh is gonna be leaving another scar.
Old 07-13-15, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoping I am spared the stupid ration for a while. The momentary look at the knife in my hand while the helmet rattled on the floor was pretty startling, and then pulling it out, has left an impression. Mostly that I am an idiot all too often.

Hoping to ride next week, stitches out in about two weeks. Just dying to get on my bike. Did I say dying? Maybe I should reconsider the language.....

Maybe it was Karma - going for a ride NOT in my 50+ kit....

David