Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mountain biking great addition to cycling regimen

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I like to mix things up with cycling styles so I do road group rides, solo endurance rides, gravel grinding, light touring, etc. I've done some single track trail riding with an old school rigid cro-mo Trek MTB but never on "real" MTB trails. I took it out to Detroit Mountain Resort in Detroit Lakes MN last week and what a blast. While their trail system is still under development (it had a soft opening this spring with the official opening next weekend) there are several good routes for a 50-year-old MTB novice. They don't have any "easy" trails. The list them as "Difficult", "Less Difficult", and "More Difficult". They also have some gravity trails fed by a ski lift (the resort is also a winter sport destination).

I stuck to the less difficult trails with a couple of sections of the difficult trails to make full loops. I did fairly well outside of having to do a couple of short hike-a-bikes when I didn't make a steep rise, and one fairly hard endo on a trail where I really should have had at least front suspension. When I looked at my data after the ride, the results were quite different from my paved riding and gravel grinders. My heart rate graph looked like highly variable HIIT with frequent periods in Zones 4 and 5 interpolated with varying amounts of time in Zones 2 and 3. I was only on the trails a little over an hour and I was wet with sweat and tired. The next day I was sore, not just from my endo, but in my chest, back, and arms as well as a somewhat different than normal soreness in my legs.

I highly recommend adding some MTB rides for anyone who does strictly roads. It is a lot of fun and very different. I can't wait to go back but next time I may rent one of the resort's hardtails. I've never owned a bike with suspension of any kind, but now I'm thinking about it for my next N+1.
Old 07-05-15, 05:14 AM
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
GravelMN,
Do rent a Full Squish bike, Vastly different from hard tails. The full suspension bike's do eat a little of your power and efficiency but they allow you to pedal in more varied conditions. With the back wheel on the ground the power transfer is better, traction Is way better, they allow you to ride at greater speeds in rougher conditions.
Don't get caught up in the wheel size debate. think of wheel size at a fit issue. I sat 'ON' my 29er hard tail, I sit 'IN' my 27.5" full suspension,, follow me ?

Every year my local MTB parks are getting more crowded and about half of these riders are current Roadies, (Still Doing BOTH)
The Local bike shops that are scattered within 6 or 7 miles of me (5) are selling more mountain bikes with road and comfort bikes holding about the same.

Over the last five years I have seen each of them convert more and more store floor space to Mtb's..

I cannot hold a, 'Tuck' mile after mile like the roadies do, I am too AFRAID, yes I said Afraid of cars going past me at 60 mph just Inches from my hips.
So many are texting now I will not take the risk.... MTB'ing gives me a much greater more full bodied workout IMO.

The tree's in the woods do jump out In front of me now and then I swear ! But when I hit one it just knocks the wind out of me. A car would destroy the only body I will ever have. I don't ride but a very few black diamond trails, I stick to the Intermediate trails as they offer plenty of thrills without such a great risk of Injury.
I work for a living, If I break bones I cannot work so no double black diamond trails for this over fifty rider who feels like 30, no, really, thanks to bicycling I do !

Besides, when I was a little kid I loved to play in the dirt, In the woods,

Still do

Last edited by osco53; 07-05-15 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-05-15, 05:33 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I only ride road bikes, except my SS, to train or get somewhere. MTBs are way more fun to me. And, a very different cardio experience. My heart rate jumps all over the place.and, like the previous post, trees really do jump in front of me at times. My wife wants video, not to prove it, but to get a good laugh.
Old 07-05-15, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I'd love to ride off road, but when I ride over a simple road reflector the resulting pains throughout my body are extreme. Nothing wrong with increasing your stable, providing the fund$ are there to keep life running/biking/living smoothly. ENJOY!!!!
Old 07-05-15, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I love putzing on the MTB trails - simple dirt loops, some gravel and some gnarly singletrack are all available at my local State Park.

It's an entirely different workout - arms, different parts of the leg muscles etc, and when I push hard I'm zone4 mostly with regular dips into zone5.

I've found that riding a fat bike is a great way for novice/intermediate MTB riders to experience many of the thrills with far fewer spills, compared with a Hardtail or FS bike. The fattie is point and shoot, just let the bike work it out - roots, rocks, climbs/descents, sand/gravel/mud etc. And what a workout hauling the weightier wheels around on the park trails. Too much fun.
Old 07-05-15, 09:43 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes - love the single track challenge. Sharp turns, bushes/trees to avoid, steep uphills, downhills, sand, rock outcrops. Gets the HR up and down, slow to 2 mph and stay on your bike, speed to 25. Utilizes a different part of the brain I would posit, requires entirely different techniques from road bicycling. Good for the brain circuits to have to think one's way through. But, it has been way too wet so far this year for me to enjoy my favorite trails, but hoping the thunderstorms will lay off so this 75 year-old body can get out there and play!!
Old 07-05-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I occasionally miss mtb riding. For a period of time it was my only riding. Then for various reasons I got to the point that there just wasn't enough time to load the bike up get to the trail, ride long enough to be worth the trip and drive back. So much more efficient to open the garage door ride down the driveway on my road bike and head whichever direction suits my fancy. The kids are starting to leave the nest though, so maybe will find more time. Have fun if you can do it!
Old 07-05-15, 01:55 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Because of a couple of accidents leading to operations for injuries to both knees the past couple of years, I've cut back on mountain biking except for light single-track through local hills and forests. I do miss some of the more exciting man-made trail centre stuff and might get back to it when I get a bit more confidence that my right knee is back to almost full strength, although I'll keep well away from the black runs. When I spend a couple hours riding single-track I feel as if I've had a full-body workout - but then I have been known to fall off a bike!

I've been enjoying the road riding I've been doing and it is good for my knees but, other than some descents, for me it lacks some of the all-round fun and variety of off-road riding, so I'll carry on doing both to get the best of both worlds.