Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Guiding

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Guiding

I recently retired (at 60) and while I'm very happy with that choice I do occasionally find myself on the lookout for things that keep me involved with other people and activities. I am fortunate to have lived and mountain (and road) biked in this area since about the mid 80s. I'm a reasonably advanced mountain biker but prefer all mountain or cross-country to big downhill. Our area is one of those 'best undiscovered' areas that regularly show up in the biking magazines.

On a ride a few days ago I kept 'hopscotching' a small group of tourists. I ended up showing them where and how various trails intersected, preferred routes and, finally, how to get back to the trailhead. I enjoyed talking with them and since then have been thinking about setting up as a guide in this area. I don't expect to have more than a half dozen small groups a year so it isn't a question of being a money-maker.

Have any of you used a guide, and, if so, what did you find worked for you? Do any of you guide? And what works for you? Any particular pitfalls?
Old 07-19-15, 03:39 PM
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I have guided a few times, just for fun. My biggest group was 4, my smallest was 1

Pitfalls none, challenges ? several. Like two who had no spare tubes or the one who brought no food or water..

Find the local bike shop, talk to them, they may tell others about your new hobby

Be cautious of riders who are not prepared or skilled enough to handle the trails, bikes In poor condition.

Carry chain repair and tire stuff for different bikes, a 27.5 tube will stretch onto a 29er wheel or pack Into a 26 Incher..
Carry three tubes, two 27.5's and one 29er...
Extra chain links for 9 and 10 speeds,3 or 4 and a chain breaker, a nice wad of duct tape. tie straps, tools obviously..
A GOOD first aid kit..

Food, water and go for it..

In four years I have helped change or changed five flats, only one was mine.
I have opened two chains to re-thread for single speed,,broken derailleur's,
I have fixed two broken chains,,,
none were mine..

I have used my First aid kit only one time,,on me.....

And carry a coaches whistle,, you'll only know why when you need it..

So I carry things for other people ,,no biggle

Last edited by osco53; 07-19-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 04:46 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I don't know about BC, but around here, a liability policy is always in order. Are there certifications you might want to try for, or resources? Some of our parks, etc., require guides to be registered for certain areas.
Old 07-20-15, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Hmmm, babysitting whiney incompetents who may sue you...... Reminds me of when I used to work! I think this is a 'give your head a shake' moment. Thanks!
Old 07-21-15, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Hmmm, babysitting whiney incompetents who may sue you...... Reminds me of when I used to work! I think this is a 'give your head a shake' moment. Thanks!
Not only the liability insurance, but the risk management planning; understanding group dynamics; special requirements for various social and medical groups; careful planning of where you go, what you do; customer relations... it all adds up, and most comes back to that first point -- if someone decides to sue you, all those aspects will be called into question.
Old 07-21-15, 05:44 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
What Rowan said, X1000. Not only the liability, but dealing with government permitting and license requirements, would be major. I'd see if a local university's business school has some business start up information, and guidance, for dealing with the various aspects of doing business on government lands. Good luck if you decide to do the guide thing, living a dream would be neat to do.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13