Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-15, 02:56 PM   #1
NMHillclimber

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many days in a row do you ride?

Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?
NMHillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:29 PM   #2
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Don't have work to interfere, but even so, I have no desire to ride every day. Got 76 in last Saturday with 85 today and most likely will not ride until Saturday.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:33 PM   #3
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
I'm still commuting and doing utility riding. That ensures base miles of about 100/week, and near daily riding except in the winter, where I get finicky. But I don't keep score, and am happy as long as I maintain enough base miles to stay in shape and keep the hills from growing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:39 PM   #4
NMHillclimber

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You do more miles in 2 days than I usually do in a week!
NMHillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 04:02 PM   #5
JBHoren 
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Bikes:
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Sunday through Friday, with perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday as a second day off. I don't roll on Shabbos.
Old 07-21-15, 04:23 PM   #6
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Monday-Saturday. I usually take Sunday off to do stuff around the house, but I'd rather not!
Old 07-21-15, 04:34 PM   #7
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I generally ride every other day, 26 to 50 miles a pop.
Having taken a rather long hiatus for relocating, I have not gained sufficient form to do more.
Plus, owing to the rather undulating terrain in our new area, easy spinning recovery days are non-existent.
There are no easy days.
there are only fast days and slow days.
But, they all seem hard.............
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 08:14 PM   #8
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
My preferred schedule is long rides on Saturday and Sunday, evening rides TWTh, and Monday and Friday off. But all kinds of things interfere with that ideal. I can ride 5-6 days in a row in some cases, but beyond that is, for me, counterproductive, even if some of those are recovery rides.
MinnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:08 PM   #9
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Five days always (commuting) but the two weekend days depends on the weather. This summer though I've wound up skipping one of the weekend days, so I guess it's pretty consistently five to seven days in a row.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:18 PM   #10
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I've have an alternating day riding pattern when the weather allows. I'll ride a minimum of 19 miles when I do ride. Doing that every day would be rather time consuming.

The weekends allow longer rides and I enjoy spending several hours of continuous riding at least once during the weekend.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-29-15 at 06:08 AM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:29 PM   #11
RISKDR1

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am retired and still don't ride every day. I am 70 so need more recovery than I used to. I have some one day rests and some two day rests. I really depends on how hard the ride was. I try for three days of riding or 4 days of riding in a seven day week depending on how hard I ride. Sometimes I need two full days of rest after a longer harder ride. More rides are "easy" than are hard.
RISKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:51 PM   #12
jskash

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape 1 2103 Giant Cypress
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.
jskash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:57 PM   #13
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I commute to the office 3-4 days a week with a weekend ride in the warmer months and 2-3 days in the winter. For the last 2 years I've had an after work commitment on Monday nights that precludes riding. Before that I'd have a few stretches a year where I'd ride to work 5 days a week for 2-3 weeks with a weekend ride or two. But that was in my 30s and 40s. The last 5-day a week multi-week run was when I was 48. Now with a new commuter, I am planning on putting studded snow tires on the old one for more winter riding next winter.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 09:57 PM   #14
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
The weather defines my schedule. On the rare periods on Midwestern decent weather I still rarely ride more than 5 days without a rest day.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 04:58 AM   #15
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I have 3 hard training rides per week. In between days will be grabbing the "gentlemans racers" (classics) for a ride around town or to the playground with my grandson. Recoup is important to me. If core strength is low during a ride I will take a 3-5 days off from any training rides. I like the short/casual downtown rides for my weight loss.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 07:02 AM   #16
BadBurrito

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskash View Post
I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.
that's awesome!
BadBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 07:04 AM   #17
BadBurrito

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I rarely string more that 3 days in a row together
BadBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 06:41 PM   #18
bikejrff

Bikes: Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, Bianchi Impulso, SuperSix (2010 & 2012), CAAD 10, Trek Madone Project One (2009 & 2011), Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1, Scott CX Team
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ride daily until it rains.
bikejrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 07:30 PM   #19
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHillclimber View Post
Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?
My typical riding day is 50 miles. I find that after three, I need a break...four tops.
baron von trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 07:49 PM   #20
jon c. 

Bikes:
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
It's rare that I have the opportunity to ride more than 3 days in a row. I don't like to ride in the rain and in those months when there's enough light to ride after work, evening thunderstorms are pretty frequent here. Took out tonight's ride. (And when that doesn't do it, life manages to intervene in some other way.)
jon c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 07:57 PM   #21
ltxi

Bikes:
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Normally right now I ride six days a week. Occasionally five. Not every day but at least every other day has been my workout standard for years.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 08:11 PM   #22
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
6 days for me. I take off on Friday. That's my yoga day (ohmm). Longer rides on Sat and Sun (minimum of 50 to 62 or so). Intervals on Tuesday and FTP Intervals on Thursday. I generally end up with between 175 and 200 a week. I had some health issues early in the year so I had to dial it back for a while. I was still able to ride 6 days a week but it was on the trainer and the goal was to maintain some sort of aerobic base and keep my weight down.
I really enjoy my saddle time and being retired I have time to recover.
TCR Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 08:30 PM   #23
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I ride four times a week, all with groups in pace lines. Monday hills, 28 miles, Tues, flatlands A ride 24-28 miles, Thursday, hills 20 miles and Saturday some flatland, some hills, 50 to 60 miles, B pace. If I try to ride three days in a row, the third day is a strain. I can do it, but there's not too much gain.
Old 07-23-15, 12:00 PM   #24
Doug64

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-23-15 at 12:20 PM.
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 09:52 AM   #25
jskash

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape 1 2103 Giant Cypress
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.
I would love to see some of the pictures of your ride thorough Europe. It sounds amazing. Do you ship your bikes to Europe before you go or do you get a bike in Europe when you arrive?
jskash is offline   Reply With Quote