Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many days in a row do you ride?

Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?

My Bikes
    1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have work to interfere, but even so, I have no desire to ride every day. Got 76 in last Saturday with 85 today and most likely will not ride until Saturday.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm still commuting and doing utility riding. That ensures base miles of about 100/week, and near daily riding except in the winter, where I get finicky. But I don't keep score, and am happy as long as I maintain enough base miles to stay in shape and keep the hills from growing.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do more miles in 2 days than I usually do in a week!

Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time JBHoren's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday through Friday, with perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday as a second day off. I don't roll on Shabbos.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monday-Saturday. I usually take Sunday off to do stuff around the house, but I'd rather not!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally ride every other day, 26 to 50 miles a pop.
    Having taken a rather long hiatus for relocating, I have not gained sufficient form to do more.
    Plus, owing to the rather undulating terrain in our new area, easy spinning recovery days are non-existent.
    There are no easy days.
    there are only fast days and slow days.
    But, they all seem hard.............
    You can lead a man to water, but you can't keep him from pissing in it.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preferred schedule is long rides on Saturday and Sunday, evening rides TWTh, and Monday and Friday off. But all kinds of things interfere with that ideal. I can ride 5-6 days in a row in some cases, but beyond that is, for me, counterproductive, even if some of those are recovery rides.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five days always (commuting) but the two weekend days depends on the weather. This summer though I've wound up skipping one of the weekend days, so I guess it's pretty consistently five to seven days in a row.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've have an alternating day riding pattern when the weather allows. I'll ride a minimum of 19 miles when I do ride. Doing that every day would be rather time consuming.

The weekends allow longer rides and I enjoy spending several hours of continuous riding at least once during the weekend.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-29-15 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am retired and still don't ride every day. I am 70 so need more recovery than I used to. I have some one day rests and some two day rests. I really depends on how hard the ride was. I try for three days of riding or 4 days of riding in a seven day week depending on how hard I ride. Sometimes I need two full days of rest after a longer harder ride. More rides are "easy" than are hard.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress Hybrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute to the office 3-4 days a week with a weekend ride in the warmer months and 2-3 days in the winter. For the last 2 years I've had an after work commitment on Monday nights that precludes riding. Before that I'd have a few stretches a year where I'd ride to work 5 days a week for 2-3 weeks with a weekend ride or two. But that was in my 30s and 40s. The last 5-day a week multi-week run was when I was 48. Now with a new commuter, I am planning on putting studded snow tires on the old one for more winter riding next winter.
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather defines my schedule. On the rare periods on Midwestern decent weather I still rarely ride more than 5 days without a rest day.

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 hard training rides per week. In between days will be grabbing the "gentlemans racers" (classics) for a ride around town or to the playground with my grandson. Recoup is important to me. If core strength is low during a ride I will take a 3-5 days off from any training rides. I like the short/casual downtown rides for my weight loss.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jskash View Post
    I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.
    that's awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely string more that 3 days in a row together

My Bikes
    Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, Bianchi Impulso, C-Dale Super Six (2010 & 2012), C-Dale CAAD 10, Trek Project One (2009 & 2011), Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1, Scott CX Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride daily until it rains.
    Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

My Bikes
    3 good used ones
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NMHillclimber View Post
    Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?
    My typical riding day is 50 miles. I find that after three, I need a break...four tops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's rare that I have the opportunity to ride more than 3 days in a row. I don't like to ride in the rain and in those months when there's enough light to ride after work, evening thunderstorms are pretty frequent here. Took out tonight's ride. (And when that doesn't do it, life manages to intervene in some other way.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally right now I ride six days a week. Occasionally five. Not every day but at least every other day has been my workout standard for years.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 days for me. I take off on Friday. That's my yoga day (ohmm). Longer rides on Sat and Sun (minimum of 50 to 62 or so). Intervals on Tuesday and FTP Intervals on Thursday. I generally end up with between 175 and 200 a week. I had some health issues early in the year so I had to dial it back for a while. I was still able to ride 6 days a week but it was on the trainer and the goal was to maintain some sort of aerobic base and keep my weight down.
    I really enjoy my saddle time and being retired I have time to recover.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond Maillot Jaune
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride four times a week, all with groups in pace lines. Monday hills, 28 miles, Tues, flatlands A ride 24-28 miles, Thursday, hills 20 miles and Saturday some flatland, some hills, 50 to 60 miles, B pace. If I try to ride three days in a row, the third day is a strain. I can do it, but there's not too much gain.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.
    Last edited by Doug64; 07-23-15 at 12:20 PM.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress Hybrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
    When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.
    I would love to see some of the pictures of your ride thorough Europe. It sounds amazing. Do you ship your bikes to Europe before you go or do you get a bike in Europe when you arrive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast