Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

60 YO looking for advice about clipless

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

60 YO looking for advice about clipless

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 03:39 PM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals and cleats on MTB shoes are what I use.

BTW: For that fear of getting hit from behind, try a rear view mirror (helmet or eyeglass mounted).
^^^^
Also, set them up really loose so that you can get out of them. I might also suggest very loose setup toestraps, they can easily be shed but you do have to train yourself to use clips or clipless. FYI..I'm 60 and I've used clipless since they were first introduced.
Old 07-25-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Speedplay "Zeros" for this 73 year old.
Old 07-28-15, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
FWIW, Shimano SPD-L on the road bike, and SPD on the MTB. Once you get used to the road Shimano clips and feel, there's no going back. Broad base, some flexibility in the angle, and easy clip in and out.
Old 07-28-15, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
For picture taking and publishing on my website, I use period and model correct, if possible...

For riding, Old School or New School, I always use clipless SPDs...

Except on my 1969 Atala Pro - can't find clipless in French threading:-( and I don't want to re-tap my Stronglight crank set...

Old 07-28-15, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Lotus Challenger SX, Bianchi Intenso 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I found this discussion I recently added a "new" bike to my stable with included Shimano A530 pedals.
I have only recently added clip less pedals to my "classic" which I bought at a LBS along with shoes. The are similar to the A530's but are not Shimano. The LBS added the cleats to the shoes and I went home and a put the pedals on the bike. Thankfully, I tried the pedal on the shoe while still off the bike and learned about the tension adjustment before learning on the bike . All went reasonably well and I have learned how to clip in and (most importantly) how to get out. Back to the new bike/clips. I thought the adjustment was correct on the Shimano's but soon found I was having issues getting out of the clips. Made a roadside adjustment and thought all was well but still have various issues getting out. I was so spooked about getting out of the clips I deliberately did not use the clips getting home off this (first major) ride on this bike.
Had I LBS adjust the tension on the A350 and set me on my way. Tried clipping in and unclipping several times at home prior to my ride and than headed out only to find that I could not (!!!!!) get out of the clip. Not good. Too old to be falling off bikes even if its at no speed.

So my question. My clips on my shoes are not Shimano but are the same type. could this be the issue?? I have lost confidence in the A530 I have. I believe they where getting tighter as I (practiced) clipping in and out at home. The old knockoff clips are back on and my next ride I expect to have no issues with clips. Does anyone else have experience with A530's that are negative? I'm thinking of going with a double sided Shimano clip, but have definitely become wary of this clip from recent experience.
Old 07-28-15, 08:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57

BTW, Performance came through with their 12 month money back guarantee. I returned the SPD pedals about 11.5 months after I bought them, and they refunded the cost without any hassle.
You rode their pedals for 11.5 months and returned them? Wow. I couldn't do that. Not a judgement so there's not need to start forum flame off.
Old 07-29-15, 02:21 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I used clipless pedals for several years but switched to spiked platforms and regular shoes. I find no difference in the efficiency and the platforms are much more convenient and comfortable. It's much better on all day rides and multi day tours when a clipless pedal created a lot of "hotfoot" problems which are much less severe with the platforms.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140619_174445.jpg (95.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-29-15, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC17
… I've heard a lot about the advantages of clipless pedals, but I can't see my way clear (fear mainly, since I was hit from behind a year ago...) to getting full road shoes and clipless performance pedals…

Originally Posted by Biker395
…BTW: For that fear of getting hit from behind, try a rear view mirror (helmet or eyeglass mounted).
+10 to rearview mirrors for confidence. I wear two, left and right Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted . I was also hit from behind…six weeks in hospital and rehab, off work for three months, and off bike for five, and I am still confidently cycling, even in urban traffic, with the mirrors.

Regarding clipless pedals, my advice is if you even consider slowing or stopping, unclip one foot (the right foot for me).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-29-15 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 07:41 AM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
You rode their pedals for 11.5 months and returned them? Wow. I couldn't do that. Not a judgement so there's not need to start forum flame off.
It's a lot less bad than it sounds. Due to surgery and to the fact that I wasn't prepared to ride in cold or wet weather, I rode the pedals for about 6 weeks of those 11.5 months. They were quite clean, except for any marks from my numerous falls. (They said I'd love SPDs, and the money-back for 12 months was part of the pitch that I relied on. Then I found myself unable to learn how to unclip reliably. ) Also, IIRC, the pedals are still in production, still selling for the same price I paid. (I know they couldn't resell them as new, of course, but if they had been close-outs, I'd have kept them, CLed them, or searched for a tasty pedal recipe on the web.)

Of course, I returned a bike computer at the same time - it failed in my 6 weeks of riding and Cateye didn't sell the necessary replacement part. I felt no shame in making that return.

Also, a rear view mirror is great for checking traffic when you want to, but believe me, cars and especially other riders can come up behind as a surprise, at least if you'r as slow as I am.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-29-15 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I think clipless is the only way to go.

My wife and I both ride Eggbeaters, she with MTB shoes, me with Shimano spin shoes (insanely comfortable!).

If you do go clipless I suggest you sit stationary on your bike (lean against a wall or use a trainer) and clip in and out a few hundred time to build muscle memory.

It will help the first few times you need to unclip, and before long it will become totally natural...
Old 07-29-15, 03:23 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I think clipless is the only way to go.

My wife and I both ride Eggbeaters, she with MTB shoes, me with Shimano spin shoes (insanely comfortable!).

If you do go clipless I suggest you sit stationary on your bike (lean against a wall or use a trainer) and clip in and out a few hundred time to build muscle memory.

It will help the first few times you need to unclip, and before long it will become totally natural...

and if you have to do that make sure you aren't chewing gum at the same time.

J.
Old 07-29-15, 07:33 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nerves is the cause. Just get in the habit of snapping your heels out to the side. Set the tension on the peals to just barely put tension on the adjusting screw. Practice unclipping while riding until it becomes natural. You will be fine, honest
Old 07-30-15, 01:00 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC17
Background: I'm a long-time runner (37 years), but as I got slower and more sore after some longer runs, I took up cycling as a cross-training sport about 6 years ago. Since then, I've heard a lot about the advantages of clipless pedals, but I can't see my way clear (fear mainly, since I was hit from behind a year ago...) to getting full road shoes and clipless performance pedals. Is there any middle ground that anyone knows of maybe mountain bike shoes and pedals that would be easier to unclip from? I ride a Trek FX 7.5 and currently average about 16 mph on flat pedals, if that matters for anything.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function appears to be down.

Thanks.
My advice is.......make sure that both your life insurance ,as well as your health insurance, is paid up. You're gonna need it..............

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-31-15, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8272 Post(s)
Liked 9,025 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
My advice is.......make sure that both your life insurance ,as well as your health insurance, is paid up. You're gonna need it..............
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 07-31-15, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
and if you have to do that make sure you aren't chewing gum at the same time.

J.
I didn't realize we had met...
Old 07-31-15, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a 60-year old rider myself. I have used clipless pedals and they work fine. Got used to them pretty quickly. But I went back to toe strap system because it worked just as well as the clipless and I didn't have to wear uncomfortable clipless shoes. I have a pair of shoes (many years old now) that were made for toe straps. If I didn't have these shoes, I'd probably wear clipless. Or I would use what 10Wheels posted above. In fact, those open clips are very inexpensive and a good way to see how much you like your feet attached to the pedals. I don't think they are as robust as the toe straps or clipless, but it's a good start. Oh yeah, glad you got the mirror, very important. Tell others to get one too.
Old 07-31-15, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Thanks for your (quite meaningless) thoughts. Have a bad day??
Old 07-31-15, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Shimano PDM324 , only tight enuf to put tension on the screw, are very easy to get out of. I find mountain bike shoes more comfortable, and easier to walk in.
I'm 73 and have used the above clipless pedals for almost two years. I fell over the very first time I used them...and that's the only one time. My late father in law objected to using a seatbelt because he wanted to be able to get out of the car in case of a crash, the fear of being locked in his explanation. I don't see clips as a problem. As Wanderer says I also use the lightest setting, the idea being to keep the foot securely on the pedal and in the same exact spot every time to minimize strain and injury to my aging knees...and it works.

Rich
Old 07-31-15, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I used clipless pedals for several years but switched to spiked platforms and regular shoes. I find no difference in the efficiency and the platforms are much more convenient and comfortable. It's much better on all day rides and multi day tours when a clipless pedal created a lot of "hotfoot" problems which are much less severe with the platforms.
Marc
+1
I don't know what you've heard or who from but there are several detailed scientific studies that show conclusively that there is NO mechanical advantage whatsoever to clipless pedals for non-elite riders. There is a slight argument for a small mechanical advantage in limited circumstances for very elite riders (think professionals).

the other big advantage not mentioned directly by Irwin is that you can walk around which you cannot with road shoes and cleats. You can with MTB style cleats although you still can slip on the metal cleats occasionally.
Old 07-31-15, 07:58 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Old 07-31-15, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a 69 year old another vote here for SPD double sided pedals with MTB shoes such as Sidi Dominator Fit. Whatever style clippless pedal you choose you won't be happy with them unless you have a shoe that fits properly, with proper foot control, and cleats mounted at correct point on the shoe. Get all of that in the LAST thing that will bother you no matter how far you ride will be your feet. Honest!
Old 08-01-15, 09:13 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
been thru that Phase , and went back to pedals I can wear the shoes that are comfortable, again .

Birkenstock also makes great insoles , they improve regular, and my bike shoes ..
Old 08-01-15, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8272 Post(s)
Liked 9,025 Times in 4,469 Posts
I'm still in that phase, it'll soon be 30 years on clipless and at least 160,000 miles.
Old 08-01-15, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VO Clips

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I used these for 57,000 miles.

VO Deep Half Clips

Size 14 shoes

I use the VO clips and wear size 12 NB 847 shoes and love the combination. Wellgo pedals with most of the pins removed. Ride a hybrid about 10 miles everyday mostly on the flat. But then I'm 78 yo and only been riding for about a year so what do I know? Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-02-15, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
On my hybrid I have these Nashbar Double Track Pedals and use these sandals Nashbar Ragster II Cycling Sandals with the clips when club riding, 20mph average for 30 miles or even to Walmart food shopping like a half hour ago or Home Depot. If I feel like having a free foot feeling for a just knocking around 10 mile ride I use regular shoes.

IMO, the clips most definitely help!

I think a dual side pedal and shoe combo would help make your riding more enjoyable if you want to increase distance/speed.

p.s.-65yo here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.