Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

60 YO looking for advice about clipless

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

60 YO looking for advice about clipless

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
My 19 year old daughter just took up cycling this summer. She has a Cannondale Synapse and rides without any attachment to the pedals. We average 15 mph, on 20-40 mile rides. The girl spins like crazy, and destroys me on most climbs! If you don't want to be attached to the pedals, don't worry, it won't hurt the ride or the experience!
PS: I ride Look clipless, and have since 1986, but am thinking my daughter has just taught me something! Darn kids, they are so smart!
Old 08-02-15, 07:59 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7300 WSD, 2014 Bianchi Impulso Dama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't have any experience with clipless until this past week or so. When I was shopping at my LBS for a new road bike I test road one with straps and absolutely did not like that at all. I personally think my reflexes would be way to slow to handle that and think it would be a much bigger risk to falling for me. So when I got my new Bianchi I got the clipless and road the trainer to learn how to snap in and out. I guess I was fortunate since I did some reading about them I had a pretty good idea how they worked and didn't have to practice hundreds of times. Getting out is pretty easy and I can adjust the tension later if I want as I gain more experience.

For me the harder part is actually getting started. So I found an article that explains some things you can do to have a better experience.

I tried on shoes at my LBS and probably should have gone with the mountain biking shoes since they were pretty comfortable. But I didn't and I had to order my shoes guessing at the size. The first pair was too small and caused my feet to go numb after only a couple of miles. The next pair fit better but I think they might be a little too big. Only a half size difference and of course my feet would be in between.

Anyway, here are some pics of my setup and shoes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0358.JPG (97.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0360.jpg (45.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-02-15, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MickeyDee: Thanks much; extremely helpful and on point!
Old 08-02-15, 09:17 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
While they are new to you, oil the contact points on the pedals. Just makes it a touch easier to get out of.

Just don't walk on the carpet with them, or you will be in big trouble. When you feel confident, a little dish soap and a toothbrush will remove the oil completely.
Old 08-03-15, 08:23 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC17
Background: I'm a long-time runner (37 years), but as I got slower and more sore after some longer runs, I took up cycling as a cross-training sport about 6 years ago. Since then, I've heard a lot about the advantages of clipless pedals, but I can't see my way clear (fear mainly, since I was hit from behind a year ago...) to getting full road shoes and clipless performance pedals. Is there any middle ground that anyone knows of maybe mountain bike shoes and pedals that would be easier to unclip from? I ride a Trek FX 7.5 and currently average about 16 mph on flat pedals, if that matters for anything.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function appears to be down.

Thanks.
I use clipless regularly, both on fast road and Tri bikes and a MTB - no big deal. But for general pleasure biking I PREFER Fixie Straps or Powergrips. More comfortable, more practical for urban riding, more suitable for your destination if you're not just hammering some loop. Clipless give you a slight improvement in hill climbing and fast cadence spinning, but mostly it's just racer wannabe crap marketed to rec cyclists. The "middle ground" is excellent, especially if you find it necessary to move your feet occasionally to address foot or calf issues from running.
Old 08-03-15, 09:05 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Clipless give you a slight improvement in hill climbing and fast cadence spinning, but mostly it's just racer wannabe crap marketed to rec cyclists.
Simply not true. I spent the last year working on my climbing technique and learning how to better apply power through other parts of the pedal revolution paid serious dividends for me in my climbing. Clipless was a very big part of that and much superior straight pedals or pedals with toe clips.

J
Old 08-03-15, 04:12 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Simply not true. I spent the last year working on my climbing technique and learning how to better apply power through other parts of the pedal revolution paid serious dividends for me in my climbing. Clipless was a very big part of that and much superior straight pedals or pedals with toe clips.

J
I am glad that your experience with clipless is positive, but your statement is nonsense. The only difference between straps (not toe clips - read my post again) and clipless is the resistance with straps is across the top arch, with clipless shoes it is distributed across the top arch, plus the heel and toe. If you can't spin 100-110 with fixie/power straps you don't have them adjusted correctly. I would agree that firing the glutes is easier with clipless, but the idea that you need clipless pedals to accomplish an efficient pedal stroke is simply crazy.
Old 08-03-15, 09:45 PM

I am glad that your experience with clipless is positive, but your statement is nonsense. The only difference between straps (not toe clips - read my post again) and clipless is the resistance with straps is across the top arch, with clipless shoes it is distributed across the top arch, plus the heel and toe. If you can't spin 100-110 with fixie/power straps you don't have them adjusted correctly. I would agree that firing the glutes is easier with clipless, but the idea that you need clipless pedals to accomplish an efficient pedal stroke is simply crazy.
I agree, if you go back to the toe clips of yore with the cleats to lock them in place - they were as efficient as clipless (and a pain to use). I've had a lot of shoes and pedals over the years, many with toe clips and everything else in between. Haven't seen a shoe without a cleat in a toe clip or strap that is as efficient as clipless.

I've used Powergrips and they, well, .. just plain suck. And then there is the issue of shoes.

I'm taking exception to the hyperbole in your characterization of clipless as "racer wannabe crap marketed to rec cyclists." There is an awful lot of cyclists in between those two extremes and that statement is just flat out not true.

J.
Old 08-03-15, 10:30 PM
The Left Coast, USA

is just flat out not true.
For who, you? It may be hyperbole, but it's more often true than not.
Old 08-04-15, 01:05 PM

For who, you? It may be hyperbole, but it's more often true than not.

Based on your stereotyping or actual information? There are an awful lot of skilled cyclists around especially as cycling gets more popular. Hard to believe that all/most of these skilled cyclists are spending around $300-500 for a pedal/shoe combination simply to be "wannabe racers."

J.
Old 08-04-15, 01:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Based on your stereotyping or actual information? There are an awful lot of skilled cyclists around especially as cycling gets more popular. Hard to believe that all/most of these skilled cyclists are spending around $300-500 for a pedal/shoe combination simply to be "wannabe racers."

J.
I'd count myself a skilled cyclist and I've done a bit of racing. When people ask me about whether it's worth going clipless, I ask them what sort of riding they want to do. If they are recreational riders with no particular aspiration to go hard and fast, I tell them not to bother. Decent platforms (BMX if you really want a big adhesive platform) are perfectly adequate for just riding around, and the truth is that the supposed power advantages of clipless exist mostly in the minds of those who have paid the money to buy them.

If you're racing, I'd say clipless or clips and straps are essential. If you are riding hard and long and (for example) doing a bit of sprinting, I'd say they have significant advantages. If you're just riding around, even for long distances, I'd say forget it. I do a lot of touring, sometimes for thousands of miles. I have platforms on my tourer, and on the singlespeed I use for going into town, poodling about etc. I have SPD SLs on my road bikes, because I go pretty hard on them.

My general view is that most of the people who ride recreationally with clipless are, as FrenchFit suggests, victims of marketing hype. Some degree of foot retention is undoubtedly helpful to many of them, but most would be fine with half-clips, minus the straps, to just gently retain their position on the pedals.
Old 08-04-15, 01:24 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Background: I'm a long-time runner (37 years), but as I got slower and more sore after some longer runs, I took up cycling as a cross-training sport about 6 years ago. Since then, I've heard a lot about the advantages of clipless pedals, but I can't see my way clear (fear mainly, since I was hit from behind a year ago...) to getting full road shoes and clipless performance pedals. Is there any middle ground that anyone knows of maybe mountain bike shoes and pedals that would be easier to unclip from? I ride a Trek FX 7.5 and currently average about 16 mph on flat pedals, if that matters for anything.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function appears to be down.

Thanks.
The easiest clipless pedals to "unclip" from that I've tried are speedplay frogs. You don't unclip really, you just slide your heel out. Super easy.
Old 08-04-15, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by night mission
So my question. My clips on my shoes are not Shimano but are the same type. could this be the issue?? I have lost confidence in the A530 I have. I believe they where getting tighter as I (practiced) clipping in and out at home. The old knockoff clips are back on and my next ride I expect to have no issues with clips. Does anyone else have experience with A530's that are negative? I'm thinking of going with a double sided Shimano clip, but have definitely become wary of this clip from recent experience.
Definitely the cleats. I had the same issue on non Shimano cleats. I adjusted the tension screws on the A530 pedals to the lowest setting and the shoes still were extremely hard to unclip. I replaced the cleats with authentic SPD's and the problem went away. Do not blame the A530. They are excellent pedals.
Old 08-04-15, 02:08 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Background: I'm a long-time runner (37 years), but as I got slower and more sore after some longer runs, I took up cycling as a cross-training sport about 6 years ago. Since then, I've heard a lot about the advantages of clipless pedals..........

Thanks.
I too ventured warily into the world of clipless pedals. Learning to use the system at our late age is intimidating. First, I took the clipless shoes to the spinning classes at the gym and stayed longer to practice clipping in and out. When I finally tried it on a bike, I was already comfortable with them. Using very light tensioned SPD pedals definitely helped. It will prevent some falls when you forget to unclip on stops.

You will fall. That's part of the learning process. My falls were at very low speeds which did not create pain or injury.

After a while, as a lot of users have already stated, it becomes intuitive.
Old 08-04-15, 02:29 PM
mgb

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Shimano A530's. I went with those because I wanted the dual clip/platform capability. Truthfully I only ever use them with clips so they might not have been the best choice. As I recall, a set of Shimano SH51 cleats was included with the pedals. Didn't yours come with the cleats? Doesn't matter anyway. I quickly switched to the SH56 cleats which release much more easily. This was after my one fall (at 0 mph) as I was getting used to clipless.
Old 08-04-15, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My 19 year old daughter just took up cycling this summer. She has a Cannondale Synapse and rides without any attachment to the pedals. We average 15 mph, on 20-40 mile rides. The girl spins like crazy, and destroys me on most climbs! If you don't want to be attached to the pedals, don't worry, it won't hurt the ride or the experience!
PS: I ride Look clipless, and have since 1986, but am thinking my daughter has just taught me something! Darn kids, they are so smart!
This is why animals eat their young...
Old 08-04-15, 07:16 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by camelopardalis
I too ventured warily into the world of clipless pedals. Learning to use the system at our late age is intimidating. First, I took the clipless shoes to the spinning classes at the gym and stayed longer to practice clipping in and out. When I finally tried it on a bike, I was already comfortable with them. Using very light tensioned SPD pedals definitely helped. It will prevent some falls when you forget to unclip on stops.

You will fall. That's part of the learning process. My falls were at very low speeds which did not create pain or injury.

After a while, as a lot of users have already stated, it becomes intuitive.
Self-fulfilling prophecy - if you think that you are doomed to fall, you are more likely to fall. Not everyone using clipless has fallen because of them.
I don't recall ever suffering a fall related to clipless, PowerGrips, or toe clips going back to the late '70s.
Perhaps those of us entering the clipless world after having used toe clips had an advantage of being somewhat used to riding with a foot retention system. I never used cleats with toe clips so I could always pull my feet out on demand.
Old 08-04-15, 09:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Self-fulfilling prophecy - if you think that you are doomed to fall, you are more likely to fall. Not everyone using clipless has fallen because of them.
Unclipping when coming to a full stop is a learned ritual, not instinctive. You will forget to do so in the beginning.
Old 08-05-15, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by camelopardalis
Unclipping when coming to a full stop is a learned ritual, not instinctive. You will forget to do so in the beginning.
Not everyone forgets.
Old 08-05-15, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I have used two sided clipless and one sided clipless. All SPD, though. Once I went that route, it was easier not to worry about which shoes went with which bike, or even whether I could use my shoes for indoor spinning classes in the fall and winter.

My current pedal is the Shimano PD-M540. Two sided, small light. Works really well.
I used to use the Shimano M324, which is SPD on one side, platform on the other. It works well, and is a good choice if you still want the option of using flat pedals sometimes. It is currently on my wife's vintage Peugeot UO8.
I also have two sets of Wellgo pedals. One is in use on my son's mountain bike. the other on my mountain bike. Both work very well for over 5 years and as far as I can tell, are virtually identical to the M324.
Old 08-05-15, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by big john
Not everyone forgets.
Most people don't forget. It is intuitive. Literally, if one can walk and chew gum at the same time, one can handle this.

J.
Old 08-05-15, 08:24 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Most people don't forget. It is intuitive. Literally, if one can walk and chew gum at the same time, one can handle this.

J.
Funny, if you switch back and forth on different bikes as I do there is no intuitive - that part of the brain goes dark. You have to consciously remember at most stops if you need to unclip. Sometimes I think the solution might be to add a second mental trigger like wrapping a bright colored tape around the stem on clipless bikes, or rubber band on my wrist. Not a big deal, but I'd guess not committing to clipless fulltime increases the risk of a clipless fall by 5x.
Old 08-05-15, 08:26 AM

Funny, if you switch back and forth on different bikes as I do there is no intuitive - that part of the brain goes dark. You have to consciously remember at most stops if you need to unclip. Sometimes I think the solution might be to add a second mental trigger like wrapping a bright colored tape around the stem on clipless bikes, or rubber band on my wrist. Not a big deal, but I'd guess not committing to clipless fulltime increases the risk of a clipless fall by 5x.

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I don't have that problem.

J.
Old 08-05-15, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Yeah, I haven't used anything but clipless on everything for so many years so i don't know what would happen if I did switch back and forth to clips and straps or flat pedals. I have been thinking about trying flat pedals on the mtb, however.
Old 09-06-15, 09:00 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I used these for 57,000 miles.

VO Deep Half Clips

Size 14 shoes

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm considering something like this for occasional use when I don't want to use my SPD road pedals. Trouble is, I'm concerned about the depth of the clip. That is, how far from the pedal axle to the toe? VO's website indicates about 70 mm (2.75") distance, but you've apparently had to extend that by about another half inch or so. I've also looked online at similar clips from MKS and Avenir, but none of them list any dimensions. I wear size 12-13 sneakers, depending on the brand. I have a cheap set of Wellgo pedals with plastic straps. The distance on them is about 4" (100 mm) from axle to tip, which works for me (and in fact, is just shy of the distance of my SPD shoes). They work, but the straps interfere with easy entry/exit.

So, long story to ask: How far can these be bent or otherwise extended and still functionally provide clipping / capture for the shoe tip? Or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks.

Edit - Just saw where you indicated size 14 shoes, but still curious as to your feedback. Thanks.

Last edited by lphilpot; 09-06-15 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Didn't read carefully enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.