Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Interesting observation on HYDRATING

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 08:41 PM

Bikes: TREK EMONDA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On short rides (<25) I don't really do much preparation and usually finish with one of my two bottles untouched. Riding these short rides with my GF are slow paced and casual but I noticed that one or both knees would get tight later in the day. No pain or discomfort but A LOT of icing to go the next day.

Back to solo rides 40-70 and my preparation is much better with at least two bottles of water an hour before starting and constant hydration during the ride at a hard pace. After these rides, no tightness or swelling. I still ice briefly for preventative maintenance but I must say I think the high level of hydration seems to minimize or eliminate tightness and swelling in the knee area. I guess 60 year old knees require lots of hydration for proper "lubrication". Anybody experiencing similar results???
Old 09-07-15, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by HtownTREK
On short rides (<25) I don't really do much preparation and usually finish with one of my two bottles untouched. Riding these short rides with my GF are slow paced and casual but I noticed that one or both knees would get tight later in the day. No pain or discomfort but A LOT of icing to go the next day.

Back to solo rides 40-70 and my preparation is much better with at least two bottles of water an hour before starting and constant hydration during the ride at a hard pace. After these rides, no tightness or swelling. I still ice briefly for preventative maintenance but I must say I think the high level of hydration seems to minimize or eliminate tightness and swelling in the knee area. I guess 60 year old knees require lots of hydration for proper "lubrication". Anybody experiencing similar results???
Short ride, long ride, slow ride, faster ride.......these 65yo knees don't require anything different. Have never had the need to ice after a ride or marathon and my knees have been bad for 35+ years. Require straps when walking and even now when riding.

Curious as to your slow/casual pace and hard pace speeds are????
Old 09-07-15, 09:41 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Can't speak to knee issues specifically, however I would agree with the general correlation between length of ride and importance of hydration. A short ride and you can "get away with" less hydration. Longer rides, my leg muscles definitely will tell me whether I've been drinking enough. Generally ice isn't a factor, the outcome for me is fatigue and feeling crappy, and if I really haven't hydrated, muscle spasms. Best to talk to your doctor for recommendations or information specific to you.
Old 09-07-15, 09:59 PM

Bikes: TREK EMONDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Short ride, long ride, slow ride, faster ride.......these 65yo knees don't require anything different. Have never had the need to ice after a ride or marathon and my knees have been bad for 35+ years. Require straps when walking and even now when riding.

Curious as to your slow/casual pace and hard pace speeds are????
Using a fitness app I guess they are fairly accurate. Short rides about a 12-15 pace. "Hell hath no fury like woman dropped". My longer solo rides are 17-20 pace. Riding in the Houston TX area. Relatively flat our hills are called over passes. Temps and humidity have been a show stopper this summer. Should be able to start adding mileage as we drop back to the upper 80's. Took up road biking about 6 months ago would really like to knock a century before winter.
Old 09-07-15, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by HtownTREK
Using a fitness app I guess they are fairly accurate. Short rides about a 12-15 pace. "Hell hath no fury like woman dropped". My longer solo rides are 17-20 pace. Riding in the Houston TX area. Relatively flat our hills are called over passes. Temps and humidity have been a show stopper this summer. Should be able to start adding mileage as we drop back to the upper 80's. Took up road biking about 6 months ago would really like to knock a century before winter.
SW FL. is the same with flat, windy, hot and humid. Mount El Jobean is the bridge over Myakka River.

6 months is a short time ago. Base miles are important before speed as far as distance rides you're shooting for. Hook-up with some groups so you can take advantage of the draft to increase time out riding, distance and speed. Keep the cadence up to save the knees.
Old 09-08-15, 04:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't notice it in the joints so much as in my endurance, muscle cramps/tightness, and recovery time.
Old 09-08-15, 03:09 PM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is this hydration everyone is talking about?
Do you mean drinking water? Or Gatorade?
When did we all stop eating and drinking and start nourishing and hydrating?
Old 09-09-15, 06:05 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
When did we all stop eating and drinking and start nourishing and hydrating?
Why is that important to you? Do you have a vested interest in what terminology folks use?
Old 09-09-15, 09:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obed7
Why is that important to you? Do you have a vested interest in what terminology folks use?
Did I say or infer that it was of special importance to me?
I thought I simply made a remark and asked a question...
I would like to know if I am missing something pertaining to hydration as opposed to drinking water
Old 09-09-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would like to know if I am missing something pertaining to hydration as opposed to drinking water
no, you are not missing anything pertaining to drinking water. Drinking water in relation to effort is referred to as hydration. The process of water intake has that label. It is a common used term in all sports, not just cycling.
Old 09-09-15, 10:41 AM

Yesterday I headed out for a ride and wound up completing 40 miles. My liquid for hydration while on the ride was O'Doul's NA beer. CARBS in a quickly absorbed liquid state and refreshing to boot.
Old 09-09-15, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have one cranky knee that complains now and then for unknown reasons. I used to use a cheap knee brace on those occasions but it eventually became dilapidated and useless. I've begun to use KT Tape KT TAPE PRO, Pre-cut, 20 Strips, Synthetic - Walmart.com to good effect. The KT Tape's main advantage is that is is very comfortable and can be left on for several days and showers. The disadvantage is it is an ongoing expense but at least I don't need it for every ride. You may have to experiment a bit with the arrangement of the tape and number of strips used.