Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When do you do it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-05, 11:15 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Eros (Celeste)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When do you do it?

8 to 5 job, weekday mornings are out of the question (I've never been an early riser), after 5 I'm drained and unmotivated, weekends are the only time, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a 30 years old friend who gets up at 5am to ride 20+ miles almost every day before going to work. For those of you who have a job, when do you ride?

Aldo
Old 04-18-05, 12:29 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
every week, every sunday morning for around 48 weeks of the year. However in the evenings in the summer I can normally get out for at least one evening ride.
Old 04-18-05, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
To and from work an option? Even part way?
Old 04-18-05, 03:32 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Aldo
8 to 5 job, weekday mornings are out of the question (I've never been an early riser), after 5 I'm drained and unmotivated, weekends are the only time, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have a 30 years old friend who gets up at 5am to ride 20+ miles almost every day before going to work. For those of you who have a job, when do you ride?

Aldo
58 yrs old; I ride to and from my job which is 6am to 4:30pm, M-Th, 24 mi r/t. Also on Fr-Su around town doing various chores, mileage unknown. That's enough for me.
Old 04-18-05, 04:57 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know what you mean when you say you are drained and unmotivated after work. However, I've found that if I tell myself I'm going to just go for a few miles that my motivation often reappears within 10 minutes or so, and a short ride often becomes a longer ride. Also (some may argue with this) but just yesterday I felt very tired before starting out. I'd been working really hard (nights, weekends,etc.) so I had a cup of coffee and it gave me enough of a boost to get out the door. After that I felt fine.
Old 04-18-05, 06:54 AM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't going to sound right, and probably not a solution for you. But a thought maybe...
But, I gave up the job.
I worked 12 hr days and a lot of travel for one of the large corp. Forget physical activity, I had no time for a life. It took awhile to come to that decision and life certainly changed in a lot of respects, I started a small business in an entirely different field. I'm home more, not leisurely but in my home office when not on a job site and I tend to make my own hours. Which means bids/sketches/invoicing being done at 2am.
I find that I am a healthier, more sane person as I get older. And I've finally become part of this little community I've lived in for so long.
Old 04-18-05, 07:01 AM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work Mon. through Fri. and ride 27 to 40 miles every Sat. and Sun. weather permitting (only missed 4 weekends last year).
Old 04-18-05, 08:14 AM
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aldo
I kill two birds with one stone, skipping lunches out on weekdays and bicycling instead. I keep an old Trek 1000 where I consult and hop on it every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday at 11:30 for a ride on a local bike path. Not sure of the distance, but the path is quite hilly and after 45 minutes, I return to work invigorated.

As for Wednesdays, I opted for a four-day work week, figuring my mental health needs outweighed my monetary needs, so I plan on a Wednesday ride without the pressures of work. I do volunteer work on Saturdays, but on Sundays I try to get a longer ride in. This works well for me here in Colorado throughout all the seasons.

One other thing that I do is use different bikes (and courses) to keep things interesting. Yesterday I rode my fixed gear, today I'll ride one of my road bikes, and on Wednesday the cyclocross bike gets a workout.

Jim
Old 04-18-05, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I commute every workday on my bike and sometimes run errands. That's pretty much the only riding I do. If I didn't commute, I would not ride. Don't get me wrong -- I really love riding, but just lack the motivation to do it recreationally.

Paul
Old 04-18-05, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride every Saturday and Sunday morning for 2-3 hours.

During the longer daylight months, I ride T-W-Th evenings for 1-2.5 hours. I know what it's like to feel whipped at the end of the workday, and although I often balk at the work required to get on the bike and out the door, I always find I feel better if I ride than if I don't.

During the shorter days I try to get out for 30-45 minutes during the week. Not always successful, but I do manage a couple of nights a week.

Every exercise program I've tried that was predicated on getting up early during the week has ended in dismal failure. I know myself well enough to realize that after work is the only time during the week when I can buck it up and get outside.
Old 04-18-05, 01:14 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride about 30 miles every Saturday morning and then do the club ride on Sunday morning. The club ride is anywhere from 30 to 60 miles. I used to try to ride after getting home from work, but by the time I finish my 45 minute drive home, the motivation is gone. So, on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, I bring my bike to work and ride about 20 miles after work.

Winter is a different story altogether. I spend a couple of hours a week on the trainer in addition to the weekend rides.
Old 04-18-05, 02:29 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KirkeIsWaiting
This isn't going to sound right, and probably not a solution for you. But a thought maybe...
But, I gave up the job.
I worked 12 hr days and a lot of travel for one of the large corp. Forget physical activity, I had no time for a life. It took awhile to come to that decision and life certainly changed in a lot of respects, I started a small business in an entirely different field. I'm home more, not leisurely but in my home office when not on a job site and I tend to make my own hours. Which means bids/sketches/invoicing being done at 2am.
I find that I am a healthier, more sane person as I get older. And I've finally become part of this little community I've lived in for so long.
I like it! I like it!
Old 04-18-05, 02:33 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10+ miles in morning before work when I can and evenings if no ride in the AM. Weekends, at least one ride of 20+ miles.
Old 04-18-05, 03:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I was working, I took my bike with me to work in the back of my car. There were nice trails about 1 mile from my work, and right after work I would go ride the trails for an hour+.

Also, I find that bicycling gets rid of tiredness, rather than adding to it. If you feel fatigued and washed out at night, a bike ride will get you going again.

Now that I am retired, I just bike all the time!
Old 04-18-05, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Go to bed earlier. Get up earlier . . . and ride!
Commute to work, if that is do-able.
Worked 8 hrs a day like most of you. Averaged 10,000 miles per year for many years. Why? I have priorities!
Oh yes, retired now. Age d72 and did only 5,000-some miles last year. BTW . . . also have cancer.
What's your excuse?
Old 04-18-05, 04:19 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
First, get a thorough physical to make sure that tired feeling isn't the result of some undiagnosed ailment. Normal, fit people are able to stay active all day long with only very short rest periods.

That said, I wonder if motivation isn't the main problem, rather than time. Is there anything else that you do almost every day? Maybe you read the newspaper, or watch television, or surf the bike forums. Perhaps you could replace one of those activities with a ride.

Here is a little analogy: Staying clean and well-groomed is an important aspect of physical and emotional health. Everyone finds the time to bathe, brush their teeth, get a haircut, etc. Well, exercize is also important to emotional and physical health. So find the time to get on that bike!
Old 04-18-05, 04:27 PM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I like it! I like it!

thanks.
I still get up at 6 am, most days to ride which is still better than getting up to go to the airport.
Old 04-18-05, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The feeling after missing a ride because you are tired just makes it worse, force yourself on the bike and that feeling will go away and you will awaken the inner rider in you.
Old 04-18-05, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys! I'm close to 49 so I feel closer to this forum than the other...
About the subject: I'm very lazy to start! The bed has this amazing magnetic field that attracts me for a nap as soon as I get close... It tries to suck me in for a "siestita" as soon as I get back from work... So, what I do is start to tell myself: Pablo, think how good you'll feel when you come back! Just think that and only that! Than pop a couple of aspirins with a big glass of water and GO!! :-/... Even in my worst days, 20 minutes into the ride and I'm already feeling a winner :-)
Hope this helps
Old 04-19-05, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Eros (Celeste)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked 40 minutes during lunch hour yesterday, felt pretty good. I'll try getting out at least two evenings per week. I hope to get on a roll and make it a habit. Some of your responses are correct: motivation is key. Putting on the gear, shoes, helmet, shorts is the biggest step. Once I'm out on the road I enjoy it.

Thanks
Aldo
Old 04-19-05, 09:44 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Putting on the gear, shoes, helmet, shorts is the biggest step. Once I'm out on the road I enjoy it.

Thanks
Aldo
Two (mountain and utility road) of my three bikes are set up to be "ready as they are" bikes. That means platforms with straps (or not), and I can just hop on them without all the fuss.

So, you may see me riding with jeans (rubber band around my ankle), etc.

Not very glamorous, and VERY Freddish, but it gets me out there. Sometimes just finding all the crap sort of wears me out.
Old 04-19-05, 04:39 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Two (mountain and utility road) of my three bikes are set up to be "ready as they are" bikes. That means platforms with straps (or not), and I can just hop on them without all the fuss.

So, you may see me riding with jeans (rubber band around my ankle), etc.

Not very glamorous, and VERY Freddish, but it gets me out there. Sometimes just finding all the crap sort of wears me out.
Amen to this. I think most people are pretty comfortable for an hour or more without any special gear or preparation.
Old 04-20-05, 09:17 AM
jfz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it helpful to have my pack with tools, spare tube and pump, daily planner etc. ready to go so I do not have to spend any time getting ready to ride. I also set realistic goals each year like a certain number of commutes and make a contest to see if I can commute more times this year than previously. Once you start commuting it gets easier and you will look forward to it. I am invigerated by riding and many nights do more around the house after commuting than days I drive.
Old 04-20-05, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a yougun here with the same problem. I probably work 80 + hours a week behind a desk and have a hard tiem fidnign tiem to ride. I too am not a morning person. When I don't ride to work, I take my bike with me and I go for a ride over the lunch hour. Also, I think you'll find that if you can get up enough energy to get on the bike after work, you will find the energy to ride it. I know its tough at first, but I look forward to going for an evening ride al day at work. Sometimes by the time I leave I am very tired, but once i get on the bike, i get a secodn wind.
Old 04-20-05, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Once the summer riding gets ramped up, I do 20-40 mile rides in the evenings 2-3 nights per week, plus two longer rides each weekend. In the spring, like now for instance, sometimes I need a short nap before heading out to ride; but I find myself looking forward to the rides & getting out with my friends.

If you can, join a club and ride with a group. If not, you may just have to force yourself to get out there a few times until you adjust. Once you establish a routine, it'll be easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.