User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me - I'm Falling!

Well not falling literally anymore at least not routinely. I am however fighting the temptation to move up the ladder in terms of bikes. AND, that is the real question. I have a Trek 1500, which with various upgrades some planned, some not is now about equivalent to something between a 2100 and 2300. No carbon stays of course.

My question: Would a 61-year-old recreational rider realize any real benefit from selling my 1500 (which I love, but its all Ive had) and buying say a Madone 5.2? For that matter, would I even realize any benefit from a Madone SSL?

Its my nature to always think the grass may be greener on the other side which in most cases is not so.

A little bio information which may be helpful: Average rides per week 3 anywhere from 30 to 60 miles. Have done 75 and hope to do 100 before summers end. My 1500 has upgraded wheels and tires, and is all 105 or Ultegra. Weights in without saddle bag at 18.6 pounds. Cycling for about 6 months after a 45 year layoff.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't sound like you are racing. It doesn't sound like you feel a desire to blow away the young studs that are riding 16 pound bikes and have more money than sense. With the upgrades to 105/Ultegra you have a great bike. I know about the grass being greener on the other side, but with your type of riding I think an upgrade would be more to satisfy the ego than to satisfy your physical needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bboseley
    Well not falling literally anymore at least not routinely. I am however fighting the temptation to move up the ladder in terms of bikes. AND, that is the real question. I have a Trek 1500, which with various upgrades some planned, some not is now about equivalent to something between a 2100 and 2300. No carbon stays of course.

My question: Would a 61-year-old recreational rider realize any real benefit from selling my 1500 (which I love, but its all Ive had) and buying say a Madone 5.2? For that matter, would I even realize any benefit from a Madone SSL?

Its my nature to always think the grass may be greener on the other side which in most cases is not so.

A little bio information which may be helpful: Average rides per week 3 anywhere from 30 to 60 miles. Have done 75 and hope to do 100 before summers end. My 1500 has upgraded wheels and tires, and is all 105 or Ultegra. Weights in without saddle bag at 18.6 pounds. Cycling for about 6 months after a 45 year layoff.
    You might think about just keeping the frame and upgrading to full Ultegra or Dura Ace. Then put whatever high quality wheel set you like on the bike. I would at least look into the economics of this. I've been through so many bikes over the years, always chasing that elusive "greener grass", and I've spent a lot of money along the way.

Of course, if money is no object, a Madone would certainly be nice, and would score pretty high on the "bling" scale...
    One Less Car... TWO more bikes!

2003 Marinoni Ciclo
    2004 Trek 7500FX

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bboseley
    My question: Would a 61-year-old recreational rider realize any real benefit from selling my 1500 (which I love, but its all Ive had) and buying say a Madone 5.2?
    YES!!
    I'm 60 and have a Ti bike (see pix below). My previous road bike was aluminum like yours. Aluminum has a harsh ride. Get a Ti or CF bike. You'll definitely notice the difference in the ride and handling.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the money to throw away, go ahead. But there's nothing wrong with what you currently ride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've fallen for new bikes a lot over the years, however, cycling is my only hobby/vice. If you are comfortable financially, go for it. It's nobody else's business except yours.

-Dennis
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't see any benefit, but look at the ages of the bikes I ride!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    See signature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    I've fallen for new bikes a lot over the years, however, cycling is my only hobby/vice. If you are comfortable financially, go for it. It's nobody else's business except yours.

-Dennis
    I agree completely. I own 4 different road bikes and spend far too much money on the sport than a resonable person would deem prudent. But as Dennis says, it's my only hobby/vice. I say go for it!!
    '00 TiSports Titanium - DA 9 speed------ '01 KHS Flite 800 - DA/Utegra 9 speed mix
    Ellsworth Flight - Ultegra 10 speed -.'03 Basso Coral - Ultegra 10 speed
    '03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
    '05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
    '05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't chase after other women and I don't golf.

Hey, we all need vices somewhere. If you've got the $$ - go for it

On your death bed, you don't want to be saying, "I wish I had bought that Madone 5.2" do you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would keep your current ride and buy the Madone...many times I have appreciated having two bikes. I ride the older bike on the overpopulated centuries because there is a finite probablility of someone crashing me down. I can also set one up for more utilitarian duty (less supple, more durable tires, bigger bags and so forth). I can also leave one plugged into the trainer and get the other dirty during the monsoon season. It is wierd, but I still really like my "lesser" bike and actually ride it more than the bling special. And BOY do I notice the diffence in handling/ride when I get on the bling! It is only money....I worked for it, I paid cash, and if someone thinks me posing, screwem.

My Bikes
    '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the Madone SL 5.2, and if you really "WANT" one I'm with you brother. My recommendation if you want a sweet ride thta will both perform and be very, very comfortable I'd go with the Specialized Roubaix Comp. It's around the same price and it is comfy as your sofa and very, very fast. My $.02 USD
    The road don't go nowhere, stays right where it is.

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net