User Tag List

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took the new Ridley out for her maiden voyage, and did a Tombay

Yup, my brand spanking new CF Ridley Fenix, has experienced it's first Tombay.

I was stopped at an intersection that had stayed red for a long time while a train was passing through past the intersection. When I saw the end of the train was near I clipped the right foot back in and was adjusting myself a little bit, and managed to fall over right there with cars to the side and back of me.

I felt stupid, but I'm unscathed, and the bike came through with a couple of small scratches on the brake lever that hid well with a Sharpie.

I guess now I can just ride it without worrying about that first act of stupidity

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, it's always nice to have that behind you.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I and many others here will feel your pain. I'm so afraid to ride my latest new bike that I want to keep it in the living room. But that would keep it from fulfilling it's intended purpose of being ridden. The inevitable is yet to come.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... and folks ask me why I don't give up my old school toecilps and straps in favor of modern snap-in clipless bindings.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy I work with just got a new to him Fuji Roubaix last weekend, and did a toe clip and strap Tombay coming up to our keyed gate opener. Hr did it in front of two people on our crew, and I got to hear all about it due to him being a fellow cyclist.

I guess toe clips and didn't help him Thursday.
    Last edited by Wileyrat; 07-26-15 at 03:42 PM.

My Bikes
    1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it happened but at least you don't have to worry about when the first one will be. See, make a negative a positive.....good energy!

Now put tons of miles on the bike!!!!

My Bikes
    Enough bikes...for today!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    ... and folks ask me why I don't give up my old school toecilps and straps in favor of modern snap-in clipless bindings.
    Me too. I have a pair of Speedplay Frogs and cleats, and I just can't bring myself to put 'em on.
    '69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record Pro, '82 Stan Pike (made for me!), '08? Serotta Legend Ti

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Folks have been doing the same thing with clips and straps for decades before clipless was invented.

I wonder if this is seen as a clipless issue now, only because there are so many riders going from nothing to clipless without doing their first tombe's with toe clips beforehand.
    FB
    Chain-L site

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Folks have been doing the same thing with clips and straps for decades before clipless was invented.
    You're correct. I've been riding with clips when clipless came out. People were falling at the same rate with clips. If anything clipless are easier to get out of compared to straps.

But I think the issue for many of us is having to deal with something new. Falling at 30 yo is a laugh; at 60 it's long lasting hurt
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humility, obtained at a modest price.

My Bikes
    1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    You're correct. I've been riding with clips when clipless came out. People were falling at the same rate with clips. If anything clipless are easier to get out of compared to straps.

But I think the issue for many of us is having to deal with something new. Falling at 30 yo is a laugh; at 60 it's long lasting hurt
    Worse would be toe clips, straps and cleats with straps yanked way down. NO WAY OUT!

65 and went over/down last week with a backpack full of groceries. Both driver and passenger kept asking......SIR, are you all right!!!!

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    Me too. I have a pair of Speedplay Frogs and cleats, and I just can't bring myself to put 'em on.
    Cranky, I have Speedplay Frogs on all 3 of my bikes and really like them a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a "Tombay"?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    What is a "Tombay"?
    A fall. From the French Tombé, pronounced Tombay (sort of), and meaning fallen.
    FB
    Chain-L site

Westchester county, NY; Sag Harbor, NY; Pownal, VT
    My Bikes
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 disk, Ancient Trek 820 Mt Bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did one last weekend, too. At an intersection after a hot 25-mile ride. My right Speedplay didn't unclip. I guess I had been standing in some sand at the edge of a road, earlier. Didn't bang my shoe off before clipping in. I'm such a dork, I actually shielded my Domane with my body as I went over. (It's pretty new.) Anyway, scratch on my arm and just below the knee. To make things worse, my right foot unclipped as I fell. SO EMBARRASSING.

The only good thing were the number of people stopping to ask if I was all right. Including a guy also riding a Domane and a several drivers. Nice to see people concerned and ready to help!

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a "Tombay"?
    What FBinNY said.

In this sub-forum, "Club Tombay" is the not-very-exclusive coterie of those who have experienced a Tombay. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is, by definition, a failure to clip out (Would falling over using toe clips and straps officially count?) Most of us join at one point or another. And the vast majority of them or more or less harmless. I have 2-3 submitted experiences, in each case the largest bruises were to my ego.

Not to restart the endless debate about "clipless" systems, but those who fear being trapped in them probably shouldn't. Clipless pedals have caused me to fall over a couple of times when I failed to clip out at a stop or if I clipped out on one side but got my center of gravity over on the other side. You land on your shoulder and dust yourself off. OTOH, last year when I had a crash and went over the bars, clipping out was neither the cause nor an additional problem - I was out of my pedals without even thinking about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I got the first couple scratches just transporting my bike right after I bought it from the shop.

I have plenty on my mountain bike from the bike sliding out after I leaned the saddle against a parking meter.

And frogs are about as easy to clip out of as it gets. There is no spring tension--the cleat just slides out once you get to it's release angle

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first LBS bike in 73 and put toe clips and straps on before it left the shop, all my bikes have had some version (I did switch to clipless a few yrs ago on my Team Fuji) until this n+1. I've tombayed a few times on the Fuji, but I'm sure at some point in time in the last 30 or 40 yrs I did the same thing on one of my old bikes too, I just don't recall doing it.

If there's something embarrassing to be done, I'll probably be the one doing it.

My Bikes
    (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1970 Raleigh Carlton International gravel grinder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Worse would be toe clips, straps and cleats with straps yanked way down. NO WAY OUT!

65 and went over/down last week with a backpack full of groceries. Both driver and passenger kept asking......SIR, are you all right!!!!
    If you don't make a big deal, it isn't. (Says Ben, 62 and still both riding toeclips, cleats and straps pulled tight and occasionally falling over. When it happens, I just remember I've just made a fool of my self, relax and hit the road easily. Usually just slightly dirty my clothes and don't break skin, even exposed.)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Secteur Elite, Trek "Discovery Channel" Road Bike, Diamondback Edgewood LX Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined the Tombay Club about 6 months ago. I learned from that and changed out my shoes, clips and pedals to SPD adjustable that I set on the minimum setting. That was a great decision and I have not had an issue at all. The SPD pedals are easier to clip out of than my old road pedals.
    Welcome to the club and I hope you don't have to be embarrassed again.

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness that new Fenix is alright!!! Scrapes heal up, but repairs, and replacement of components, costs money. Well, if it isn't too bad a scrape, or maybe a break would be kind of spendy.

Glad that you can post, and smile about the Tombay, now. And as several said above, now that is over with and done, enjoy all the miles that sweet Ridley gives you, those are some beautiful bicycles.

Bill
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    A fall. From the French Tombé, pronounced Tombay (sort of), and meaning fallen.
    Thanks. Google didn't provide any immediate definition or common use of the word "Tombay" that fit its use on this thread.
    Is there any special reason to use such an obscure/cryptic term on an English language website?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Google didn't provide any immediate definition or common use of the word "Tombay" that fit its use on this thread.
    Is there any special reason to use such an obscure/cryptic term on an English language website?
    I knew the meaning and source, but why is anybody's guess. Probably someone was being cute and it caught on. As pointed out earlier it's now sort of a "club" sort of like the mile high club but not as much fun to join.
    FB
    Chain-L site