Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there an angry/dangerous driver in your area? Data base

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is there an angry/dangerous driver in your area? Data base

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 12:15 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere
If those kid(s) are killed or imjured, you will not be able to live with yourself. Talk to the cops.
What I was thinking.
Old 07-29-15, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really doubt the cops would or could do anything until she's actually caught speeding or causing an accident.
Old 07-30-15, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I really doubt the cops would or could do anything until she's actually caught speeding or causing an accident.
Have to disagree. The cops could just tell her that there has been a complaint and ask her to chill a little. Better than doing nothing. And, who knows, it might be a wake up.
Old 07-30-15, 06:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wel, there is only one way to know the answer to whether or not they would do anything, isn't there.

Around here they would.
Old 07-30-15, 09:10 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere
Wel, there is only one way to know the answer to whether or not they would do anything, isn't there.

Around here they would.
What would the police do "around here"?
Old 07-30-15, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Well, regarding the incident that caused me to start this thread (in my little corner of "around here"), the CT State Police ran the plate and identified the driver. They then went to his house and told him he was treading on thin ice. I should note CT has a law that requires that drivers give cyclists 3' room on the roads. He had originally buzzed my friend and when my friend (who had stopped) threw up both his hands in a "What are you doing gesture?" he came back and started yelling at him. The Officer called my friend and told him that he had spoken to him and implied (I don't know how) that the guy was on probation for something. Hopefully he will just chill out.
Old 07-30-15, 10:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Park an unmarked car with radar to check her speed.

Go to her house and discuss the situation.
Old 07-30-15, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
While the intent of the database founder and some its contributors may be positive, a database gathering anonymous derogatory reports on strangers seems ripe for abuse by drama queens, hysterics and people with clouded judgement about all their alleged motorist "enemies".

The claim that "If that same driver does harm a cyclist at a later date, the information in the Incident Reports will help ensure that justice is served" is at best wishful thinking.

I think if a cyclist witnesses negative behavior meriting a report to the database, it should instead be reported to the appropriate legal authorities. If the database cannot filter out behavior not serious enough for such a report, it will be seen as nothing more than a place helpful for cranks and crybabies to vent. Just like Letters to the Editor or comments to Internet news articles and blogs.
This is the problem I see. Plus I expect great overuse of "F--ing cagers."
Old 08-05-15, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
You know, this may sound naive but, if she lives in your neighborhood, I'd try talking to her first, before involving the cops. Some people who seem like A-holes behind the wheel may just listen to you face to face, if approached correctly.
If she is nasty and uncooperative, I would then mention that the issue will be taken up with the authorities.
Worth a try perhaps.

I ride about 5mi. a day now in our neighborhood and there's one lady that drives a minivan at twice the speed limit every time she leaves her house or arrives. This is a small neighborhood and there's a house with 3 small children that she passes on her so important errands that she must drive 50mph. Not sure what to do about it except get on the grass when I see her coming. I'm not going to call the cops but she WILL hit someone. Forgot to mention, I get a dirty look from her every time as if she owns the road and bicycles should be banned.
Old 09-28-15, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
I just submitted my first incident to the CCDB today, and I am glad I did!
Shortly after submitting it, the site owner emailed me to ask if I had noticed a detail on the car:
The righthand mirror was folded in to facilitate buzzing cyclists!!!

The CCDB report: CCDB Incident Report

Direct link to Youtube for those w/o CCDB account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM

Screen grab of mirror attached:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (49.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-28-15, 04:08 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Good job. I especially like the views of the license plate.

...which I imagine will make for some pretty lively discussion.

John
Old 09-28-15, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
While this data base does seem like a good idea, I-Like-To-Bike does have an excellent point: There is a strong likelihood of many
"false positives".
Old 09-28-15, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by trackhub
While this data base does seem like a good idea, I-Like-To-Bike does have an excellent point: There is a strong likelihood of many "false positives".
Frankly, w/o video, I don't even bother reporting anymore, so that is a way to eliminate false positives for sure.

A few months ago I had a white van do exactly the same thing that black Toyota did to me, but at 45mph downhill on a state highway. I was wearing a helmet with a camera *mount* but had not bothered to take the camera that day. I caught the perp at the next light, went up to the drivers open window, and gave him a piece of my mind. He swore he never saw me (goddamned liar).

A few miles down the road, I stopped at a convenience store, and there was a squad car with two Boulder cops there. I told them what happened, and one of them was looking at the empty camera mount on my helmet commenting: "If only you had your camera; We could *really* use video like that." I filed the report with just a description and license number, but never heard anything, (and did not expect anything).
Old 10-08-15, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I caught the perp at the next light, went up to the drivers open window, and gave him a piece of my mind. He swore he never saw me (goddamned liar).
I tend to have this same reaction but after a recent incident I am rethinking this.

My wife and I had two encounters with the same driver, one time him blowing a stop sign at high speed across through traffic (we were approaching 50 yards or so away) and the other with him pulling out right in front of us at the same intersection. The last time I yelled at him (didn't seem to even see us) but I managed to get his tag #. I thought, you know what, I am going to report this SOB since he doesn't seem to be concerned with anyone else's safety.

I get a call back from law enforcement. The registered owner has been in and out of prison for 20+ years. 4 DUI's, controlled substances violations, burglary, felony assault on an officer, fleeing to avoid arrest, and been convicted of domestic assault on both his spouse and children. Throw in 6'4" and 270 lbs and you have one bad dude with no respect for anyone. If I pull up to this guys window, I might not be walking away.

Bottom line is you don't know who you might be dealing with if you get confrontational. Get a tag # and report it if it is appropriate.
Old 10-08-15, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wn rider
I tend to have this same reaction but after a recent incident I am rethinking this.

My wife and I had two encounters with the same driver, one time him blowing a stop sign at high speed across through traffic (we were approaching 50 yards or so away) and the other with him pulling out right in front of us at the same intersection. The last time I yelled at him (didn't seem to even see us) but I managed to get his tag #. I thought, you know what, I am going to report this SOB since he doesn't seem to be concerned with anyone else's safety.

I get a call back from law enforcement. The registered owner has been in and out of prison for 20+ years. 4 DUI's, controlled substances violations, burglary, felony assault on an officer, fleeing to avoid arrest, and been convicted of domestic assault on both his spouse and children. Throw in 6'4" and 270 lbs and you have one bad dude with no respect for anyone. If I pull up to this guys window, I might not be walking away.

Bottom line is you don't know who you might be dealing with if you get confrontational. Get a tag # and report it if it is appropriate.
I would agree but for one thing: If you don't get the drivers face on video, the cops may not be able to do anything. If cops could always issue tickets just based on tag #, they wouldn't need to bother pulling over motorists to get positive ID for a ticket. You don't need to say anything, just get his face in the frame.

I'm still waiting for a response from the local cops on the idiot who played chicken with me two weeks ago. I have it on video, and filed a report, but his face is not in view, so I don't know if anything will come of it.
Old 10-09-15, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I grew up in Hackensack and married a woman from LI. I have a lot of experience there. Actually, my gf and I just spent a weekend at a friend's house on Shelter Island, Other than out near the fork, which I could never afford, you couldn't get me to live on LI. Way too crowded and filled with too many "I am the world" types. I don't know how you do it.
What is an "I am the world type?" Not being facetious, really want to know.
Old 10-09-15, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
You know, this may sound naive but, if she lives in your neighborhood, I'd try talking to her first, before involving the cops. Some people who seem like A-holes behind the wheel may just listen to you face to face, if approached correctly.
If she is nasty and uncooperative, I would then mention that the issue will be taken up with the authorities.
Worth a try perhaps.
I might have the wife talk to her. If you do, and she recognizes you from the bike, she may harass you more.

GH
Old 10-09-15, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tg16
What is an "I am the world type?" Not being facetious, really want to know.
Sorry. I just meant self-centered people who have little regard for others.
Old 10-09-15, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I ride about 5mi. a day now in our neighborhood and there's one lady that drives a minivan at twice the speed limit every time she leaves her house or arrives. This is a small neighborhood and there's a house with 3 small children that she passes on her so important errands that she must drive 50mph. Not sure what to do about it except get on the grass when I see her coming. I'm not going to call the cops but she WILL hit someone. Forgot to mention, I get a dirty look from her every time as if she owns the road and bicycles should be banned.
What follows is just my 2¢: After four decades of driving, and even longer cycling, I have come to the conclusion that jerk-holes can be observed driving anything.
We've all crabbed about drivers of certain types of vehicles. My personal fave is 20-something females in Hondas / Acuras. Apparently, they grow up and drive mini
vans, but the point remains: You could give your minivan-driving person one of those riding lawnmowers, that just creep along, and she would find some method and means
to injure or kill someone with it. That's simply how it works.

The suggestion that you report this dangerous driver to the cops has some merit. If she's as hateful / vicious as you say, they will have something on file, should
she actually hit one of the neighborhood kids. And that is my 2¢.
Old 10-10-15, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by wn rider

So true. Here in CT a cycle club member was on a rail trail and got buzzed by a guy on a dirt bike. They are illegal on the rail trail. The cyclist got pissed and flipped him off. The guy came back and drew a handgun. Somehow nothing further happened but a good warning to all.
Old 10-10-15, 07:06 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've had an account on this site for about a year and have had only 2 notifications from them in that period. My understanding is that this database is to document "intentional" bad actions against cyclists and not the routine clueless driver issues. For me, the former are rare, the latter to darn frequent. Although I would like to post all of the bonehead moves, I can't see that the db will sustain it's mission that way.
Old 10-12-15, 09:22 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Not a very credible source for positive or negative comments. Inevitably there will be relatively few people making comments about a greater number of "offenders". It doesn't take long for a visitor to A&S to realize there are those for whom every ride is a trip through a war zone and all is fair when attacking the enemy.
This
Old 10-19-15, 05:19 PM

Updates on my new hobby of turning cagers into the authorities:

This one from 2015-06-13, (cited for reckless driving and illegal passing), has lawyered up, and has a pre-trial conference scheduled for 2015-12-01. Click on "Show More" under the video to see all the details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIhrsL6JXY

This one from 2015-09-27 has been cited for violating CO code 42-4-1008.5 - "Crowding or threatening bicyclist":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8tJC7LBnM
Believe it or not, it was a woman in her 50's. She said she keeps the mirror folded in to make it easier to get in/out of her garage.
Old 10-26-15, 06:53 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Maybe it is because of the fact I live in the center of the country, that so far anyway, I have not had a bad run in with roadrage or angry drivers.
Old 11-19-15, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Texas-where you are not safe in any circumstance, even in your car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.