Thread: 50+ and racing

My Bikes
    Raleigh and Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ and racing

How many 50+'ers here race? either road or MTB?

I started back on the bike in 2003,did some road tours and MTB races,sat out most of 2004 because of personal problems and hernia, now I'm ready to go again in 2005. Most of my weekends from May to November are taken by local bike rides and or races........
    But I have noticed that there is not alot of 50+ racers.....
    2012 is coming - What will you be doing?

My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raced in the 45+/55+ group this past Saturday. Started together; picked separately.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

I really like bikes Kingofbeers's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to Aspen -

The "Masters" category (50-59yrs) usually has 15-20, and the "Grand Masters" (60-69) has at least a handfull in the local races. Good races, too - lots of climbing and plenty of altitude.

If you're ever in town, check out the Aspen Cycling Club -

Cheers -
    Schwinn Paramounts - 1965, '71, '74, 83
    Match Paramounts - '98, '99
    1948 Schwinn Continental
    1978 Medici Pro Strada
    1990 Cannondale ST 600
    1998 Trek Y-Foil
    1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    1999 Longbikes Tandem

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have what it takes to race when I was 20 and I still don't. I don't have time to train my cardiovascular system up to the necessary level, I don't have enough fast-twitch muscles to sprint decently, and I lack the physical coordination and self-confidence needed to push the envelope on turns. However, I love cycling and I enjoy watching others, far more competent than I, race.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, come to Northern California. We had a total of 71 riders in the Master 45+/55+ last Saturday. This was a USCF race. 50 miles, 3 laps, 1150-ft of climbing per lap.

Here's a shot of me

BTW, I'm 6' 1" and the little guy in the back!
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

My Bikes
    Seven Odonata, Trek 950, 86 Stumpjumper, MASI 3V, Schwinn LeTour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Masters racing is alive and well here in Colorado. Check out these tt times. The rest can be found at www.americancycling.org

sun

SM65+ 1 122 Meyers, William Lakewood Racing Team 24:43.3
    SM65+ 2 92 Tucker, Scott Lakewood Racing Team 25:08.1
    SM65+ 3 9 Bickel, David COBRAS 31:42.7
    SM65+ 4 256 Kearns, John Team Mobile Cyclery 32:58.1
    SM65+ 5 8 Hopkins, Mark COBRAS 33:25.1
    SM65+ 6 5 Schneider, Frank COBRAS 35:29.7
    SM65+ 7 11 Little, Joe COBRAS 36:08.0
    SM65+ 8 386 Bennet, Graham COBRAS 36:58.1
    SM65+ 9 1 Persoff, Mike COBRAS 39:21.0

SMP-1-2 1 261 Carter , Michael Colorado Velo - Denver Spoke 22:48.6
    SMP-1-2 2 184 Overton, Frank Al s Barbershop 22:59.2
    SMP-1-2 3 236 Pointer, Grayson Schwab Cycles/Torelli 24:07.5
    SMP-1-2 4 421 Sandvik, L.T. Summit Cancer Cycling Team 24:20.6
    SMP-1-2 5 246 McGee, Chris Green Mountain Sports Velo 25:12.6
    SMP-1-2 6 265 Siciliano, Joseph Team Rio Grande 25:39.9
    SMP-1-2 7 245 Rudman, Joseph Excel Sports Racing 26:33.0
    SMP-1-2 8 411 Matthews, John Unattached 27:13.3

My Bikes
    Bros Sonic FS XT-LX hybrid w/Brooks Swift
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me.
    I turned 50 last January, and have been a competition runner "all my life". I have been running everything from 800 meters track to semi-marathons up until two years ago. To prepare for races, I was working out pretty hard five-six times per week for decades. But today the idea of putting a starting number on my
    chest sounds like science fiction. So what happened?

Well, I had a lower back prolapse a year and a half ago, that's one reason. But my legs have been giving me pains a few years before that, forcing me to cut down training to four times a week, and then mostly biking, on a roller during the winter season. Observing your body getting older is not much fun.

But my reluctance to participating in competitions is mostly in my head. At this point in life, I feel I have little undone in this field. Structuring my life in relation to the red X'es in my calendar is something I have
    behind me, it belongs to the past. The way I feel about this, is a combination of loss and relief.

Loss, because most of the time, it was great fun. I enjoyed both the exercise and the competition part. But it's also a relief, because now I can be more relaxed with regards to how I work out. Some days I paddle my kayak, some days I run in the forest, other days I bike. And I love cross country skiing, I used to compete in my younger years. Today I do not have to always, always stay focused on becoming a good runner, and that allows for spending time on other fun activities. All in all, that's not so bad!
    Thanks for listening,
    Erling.

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acemtbiker
    How many 50+'ers here race? either road or MTB?

I started back on the bike in 2003,did some road tours and MTB races,sat out most of 2004 because of personal problems and hernia, now I'm ready to go again in 2005. Most of my weekends from May to November are taken by local bike rides and or races........
    But I have noticed that there is not alot of 50+ racers.....
    I race - I'm 65 years old. I have a very challenging weekend coming up: Two time trial competitions (5 & 10K) on Sat., and two road races on Sunday (20 & 40KM). Around here (FL) there are incredible racers in the over 60 category. AAMOF, in the last time trial contested in 5 year age groups starting at 50, the top time trial times were turned in by the 65-69 age group! I am peaked and ready to rumble!!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

My Bikes
    Arnold
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is S. Cal the older masters categories are generally well represented. I'm 51 and have been racing since 87. Last weeks race (Chuck Pontius) saw the 50/55+ category had probably 50 or 60 guys in it, never mind that it had a start time of 7:30 am. But the 45+ category had Thulow Rogers in it and he and a couple of teammates took off from the whistle and blew the pack up pretty quickly. There's some stiff competition in the older cats for sure.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run 15 mile crosscountry in my youth and was just about up to national level, Gave that up at age 34. I also used to race in motorsport and and was good internationally. When I started to ride a bike about 14 years ago, I went along to a few races just to add my support to the riders, but purely as a spectator. Then I started club racing, just to add another number to the entrants. Sorry but for someone to win, they have to compete against someone. I had taken enough out of racing in my youth, and just felt I would like to put something back.

However it backfired on me at one meeting when I gained a 2nd in the class I entered(Actually an age group lower than my age, due to no-one in my class) 2nd out of a class of 10 or 12 and in a regional race was not bad--Till you realise that the winner almost lapped me in a 20 mile 4 lap race--and there were no other finishers. Next meeting and I was put up a grade for my excellent finish last time out.

After the bypass 5 years ago I stopped racing, and have luckily taken up the new challenge of extended off road Randonnees. Far friendlier, I can compete at this level, and can still encourage the 25 year olds with the encouragement of only 25 miles and 2 big hills to go as We pass them. We by the way as we do it on a Tandem.

Biobob
    My Bikes
    2005 Felt S22, 1996 Cannondale R800, Cannondale Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not 50 yet, that will be next year but I thought some might be interested in my blog on getting into bicycle racing at the age of 48 (I'll be 49 at the end of the year so the USCF considers me a 49 year-old for races.) I created the blog more for family and friends but have been getting some email from "older" racers from all over the country and one from a British racer living in France - it's been a neat experience.

http://www.masters45.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am writing this from the Florida Senior games. Today, I was entered in the 5 & 10K time trials. I got off to a lousy start on the 5K, but looked down, and much to my surprise my adrenalin was probably biting off more than the engine could chew - I was doing slightly over 30. I eased back, and got into a comfortable pace. I never once dropped under 24, and figured I had won. I wanted to hold something back for the 10K.

When I came over the finish line they announced that my time of 7:27 had just broken the Florida state 65-69 age group record of 7:29 set in last year's state championships by Hans Van Eldik. I was ecstatic. Then reality reared its ugly head. Hans was also in the race, and he posted a 7:25 breaking my record. He was first overall among all age groups, and I was second. I would have won any other younger or older group.

Then we lined up for the 10K, and now that I knew that the current (and many time) state champion and record holder was there, I really cranked. The wind had picked up, and I ran a very painful race well above LT(average HR 171 - MHR 177). Final result, I blew out the state champion by 10 seconds, and my 16:57 time was the only time under 16 minutes for the 100 plus competitors!

Tomorrow, I am entered in the 20K & 40K road races - I hope there is some fuel left in the tank!

BTW, I started cycling just under a year ago - god, I love cycling!!

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job SD69!

Tyson

My Bikes
    Raleigh and Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! SD69
    2012 is coming - What will you be doing?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The saga continued. During the day there was a reporter and a photographer that kept following me around asking me questions. When I awakened this morning, I was greeted with a large picture of my ugly mug on the front page of the Sunday paper. When I got to the races, I seemed to be a celebrity. I told everyone that I always send my agent in first, and if he cannot arrange for extensive media coverage, I simply will not race! Anyway, it was a two-page article with three pictures. Here is the URL to the on-line version:

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...villages01.txt

If the weekend was not bizarre enough, I arrived for the 20KM road race this morning. They attached transponders to our bikes for the timing. Off we went, and no one seemed to want to work, and the pace was much too slow (we ultimately finished with only a 23+ mph average for 20K - rather slow for a group race). I did some long pulls at around 28 mph, and everytime I would pull over to let someone else work, no one would come forward. I just allowed the pace to slow, and when we rounded the final bend to the last straight, I simply held everyone off, and did not allow anyone to pass me. They called for the top ten finishers to come to the scoring tent, and there is where they dropped a bomb on me. I won the race, but I was only going to get the bronze medal. They indicated that the way they scored was that each racer's time started when he crossed the start/finish line. Hence, if a guy crossed the line 5 seconds after you, and you only beat him by four seconds, you lost. I told the officials that with that logic, I could have simply dogged the start from the back, quickly caught up to the Peloton, and had a nice pad of time to play with. They would not award me the gold medal that was due me, and I told them that I was not going to race in the 40 K race that was scheduled next. They relented, changing the rules to the "normal" rules for the 40K, but at that point, I was so disgusted, that I took my marbles (bicycles) and went home. All and all, an incredible adventure, but my first road race left a bad taste in my mouth. I think I will stick with time trials - the race of truth!