User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apology Enough?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apology Enough?

Riding down a suburban street. Suddenly a standard size black dog charges from the front patio of a house. It ignores commands from the owner and soon catches me. I nearly crash pulling my leg up just as it's muzzle touches my jeans. Then it, for whatever reason, decides to go home.

Then, I hear a faint apology from the garage. I was shook so in no uncertain terms I told him what fate awaited if there was a repeat incident.

"But I apologized" No promise he would be responsible and control the pet as required by law.

Enough?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond Maillot Jaune
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't push the issue now.
    If the dog comes out again, call animal control and report it. If he bites you, then the police get in the act and it gets real ugly real fast.
    For the future, you should determine if your state permits pepper spray. NC does, I carry almost every time I ride both road and MTB. I carry to deter 4 legged problems and 2 legged problems, works for both.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the dog had caused damage.... money to fix/repair any damage would be in order. But since no "real" harm was done... a handful or polite words should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    ....... so in no uncertain terms I told him what fate awaited if there was a repeat incident.
    You spewed a spiteful threat?!?!? Again.... a handful or polite words (from YOU) should have sufficed. But I get the impression you're still indebted in this exchange. But... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a good test of your escape velocity In that situation I usually will yell a sharp NO at the dog, which will stall him at least briefly.

If nothing else the law is probably on your side:

• A dog owner lets his dog loose in his yard, and the dog runs at a bicyclist riding by. Trying to avoid the dog, the cyclist is thrown from his bicycle and suffers permanent hearing loss. Jury verdict: The dog's owner was negligent. (Laylon v. Shaver, 590 N.Y.S.2d 615 (App. Div. 1992).)
    bikegpx.us for free touring map routes & gpx files

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Sectuer sport, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, 2015 Framed Minnesota 2.0, '90s Specialized hardrock rigid
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm just a dog chasing a car. I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one." --The Joker.

I tend to believe it's about the chase. unless you are actually on someone's property, if you stop, the dog becomes disinterested.

But I don't actually know the stats of dog catches cyclist.
    Bikeforums: Not just for bikes any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be asking what the dog owner is going to do to be sure that it does not happen again, and advising what will happen if it does. An apology is OK, but not enough.
    Bicycling backwards through the looking-glass with Alice! Soon to be in the 76+ group.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a dog that got loose and just ran after you, the apology should be enough. Nothing will come from escalating it - a battle that you might win, but not one with any real gain for you.

If the dog acts vicious, or tries to attack you, that would be a different story.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the circumstances portrayed, I think this post in another forum really strikes the chord:

Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    Complaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it.

Classic situation:

Driver A cuts off driver B in traffic.
    Driver B complains to co-workers about it.
    Driver B posts on Bike Forums about it.
    Driver B complains to spouse and so on...

Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it.

Forget about it.
    It's one of the wisest things anyone has posted on BFs, and I am really trying to hold on to the thought.
    Last edited by Rowan; 08-03-15 at 04:21 AM.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Carrera Virtuoso and friend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yer lucky to get anything like an apology these days. Dog was probably being playful, though you wouldnt be sure of that.. . .nor would i.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    For the circumstances portrayed, I think this post in another forum really strikes the chord:

Complaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it...
    It's one of the wisest things anyone has posted on BFs, and I am really trying to hold on to the thought.
    I note that here is no attribution of the quote. Not a complaint, but it's interesting to recognize a wise subscriber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    Always a good test of your escape velocity In that situation I usually will yell a sharp NO at the dog, which will stall him at least briefly...
    My strategy exactly.

...here in Metro Boston I can't remember ever being chased by a dog (unlike experiences elsewhere)....

I used to have a pretty effective way of handling dogs. I would ride at submaximal speed, and as the dog got close I would scream to startle them, and then speed up. They invariably gave up since they were startled and hesitated, and were already going full tilt.

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not long ago I snap kicked 2 smaller dogs that were an annoyance more than anything. They didnt come out anymore. Bicyclists are more of a game to a dog. The owner is now aware of this situation. From this point on I would avoid that route and attach a deterrent to the top of the bars for easy access.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I note that here is no attribution of the quote. Not a complaint, but it's interesting to recognize a wise subscriber.
    Fixed, on your wise advice.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Fixed, on your wise advice.
    Thanks for your {prompt) reply and compliment from, IMO, a sage of Bike Forums. I posted at 5:49 AM Boston time, so I'm not surprised you replied so quickly.

...now back to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress...

My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Giant TCR Team Rabobank, Cannondale Jekyll, Cannondale Flash, Trek 8500, Klein Q-Carbon Team, GT Tempest, Specialized Ruby, Kestrel Sci 200, Cannondale Synapse Team Liquigas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was bitten yesterday by a large Weimaraner. Damn thing blew past me as I was doing 35km/h, turned and bit my leg after I slowed so as to not hit the dog. Drew blood. Police got involved just so it was officially reported. The owner was less controlled about the whole thing than I was. If my dog bit someone until bleeding, I would instantly realize that I myself have done something very wrong regarding training.
    Next time I gas it, HARD! However, I like the idea of snapping a loud "NO" at the dog to shock it. I think that would have remedied the situation. I was taken by surprise. Plus, my clipless pedals don't help when wanting to kick!

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterws View Post
    Dog was probably being playful…
    Probably. But you don't know that with any certainty and it doesn't mean it couldn't have caused serious injury or damage if it caused the OP to crash, even if it was just being playful.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spent a good part of my life worrying and planning about what I was going to do in the future when a certain thing happened. It never ever, even once, happened exactly that way. Since you have no damages, accept the weak apology and let it go.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Spec. Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was me and it was from a lesson in a management class many years ago.

Rowan can quote me as much as he wants. No need to attribute.
    Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-03-15 at 03:04 PM.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dog chase me into the street last year ... pissed me off so bad, I turned around and rode AT the dog, growling and yelling at him. You should have seen his face before he turned around and ran. Lol.

The owner appeared and was very apologetic. And since I ride by there daily, I knew was a responsible dog owner, so no worries.

But at the same time, apologies are empty words without repentance. If his dog is out there again and again, a little chat is called for.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Report it to the local Police.

When the dog does the same thing to a little girl, it will be strike two - and the owner will surely prove ignorant!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually yell out at the owner as the dog is charging me "if it bites me it's going to get put down"...
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP it's over. Just put this on top of all the other ***** I bet you carry through life. Eventually the burden will get to you one way or another. The load will be dropped or you'll collapse under it. Trust me on this. Give it some thought.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnrtr
    rComplaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it.

Classic situation:

Driver A cuts off driver B in traffic.
    Driver B complains to co-workers about it.
    Driver B posts on Bike Forums about it.
    Driver B complains to spouse and so on...

Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it.

Forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    It was me and it was from a lesson in a management class many years ago.

Rowan can quote me as much as she wants. No need to attribute.
    Nice to meet you. I'm pretty sure @Rowan is a he.

Another recent post presents (I presume) an ironic, yet unsympathetic POV:

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    OP it's over. Just put this on top of all the other ***** I bet you carry through life. Eventually the burden will get to you one way or another. The load will be dropped or you'll collapse under it. Trust me on this. Give it some thought.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it."

^ This is nonsense. Driver A probably didn't even know they cut driver B off, or promptly forgot about it 8-12 minutes later.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Become familiar with local laws and processes regarding dogs.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast