Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Puncture proof tyres!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Puncture proof tyres!

Old 08-18-15, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Puncture proof tyres!

Got a slow one a month ago, so decided to have ago and fix it, along with a spoke replacent to help out the neighbouring heroes which had taken the extra strain over the past year. Got a new innertube, since that was perished, and did the job. Pumped up ye tyre and left it overnight.

The rest can be guessed. Damn. Worse than that. It wasnt the tyre which is an Innova which I cant buy in the UK directly. But it needs replacing anyway. By a better man than me.

Any tyre suggestions please? Its a 700 by 25C. . . . and I want it to be bloody durable!
Old 08-18-15, 01:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
captive air foam inner tubes* never go flat but its like riding an O ring . tires like that inspired one Mr Dunlop, in the 1800's
to invent the pneumatic tyre.

* A common user is wheelchairs.

alternative: Heavy Thorn resistant inner tubes , but you may also hate the weight. there is thick rubber in those .

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-18-15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 01:39 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Hard to install and not in anyway supple, these Schwalbe tires are the toughest and most flat resistant pneumatic tire available.

Marathon Plus 440, 25-622, Black-Reflex, Wire | Schwalbe North America
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-18-15, 01:50 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I am gravitating to Micheling Pro4 Endurance tires. So far so good.

I used to use tire liners ... they did help prevent flats, but made tire changing a PITA.

Mr. Tuffy Tire Liner | Mr Tuffy

Old 08-18-15, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Hard to install and not in anyway supple, these Schwalbe tires are the toughest and most flat resistant pneumatic tire available.

I have Marathon plus tires on most of the fleet. Have not found them to be particularly hard to install. Can't remember the last time I had a puncture flat. It's been years.
Old 08-18-15, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Marathon plus are pretty much indestructible, I've toured on two sets of them for a total of over 10000 miles with one puncture. They come in 700x25mm, and I have a set of those on my singlespeed for just riding around town - means I don't need to carry tyre levers spare tubes etc. They are quite heavy, though, and their stiff sidewalls make them a fairly firm ride. If that isn't important to you, they're a great product.
Old 08-18-15, 02:38 PM

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a less than successful run with tubeless tires I have recently started running these. TUFO C Elite Ride 25 - Tubular clinchers RACING I really like the concept of tubular clinchers and the feel of the ride is nice but I don't think the rolling resistance is very good. I don't have many miles on them yet.
Old 08-18-15, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Given a choice between the solid foam described above and a Marathon Plus, I'll take the foam; it gives a nicer ride.

A tire can be flat resistant and not ride like rubber epoxied onto concrete. I generally have thrown on whatever I get on sale (Michelin Pro4, Conti 4-Season, or whatever) and usually wear the rubber to the cords before I get a flat. Lately I've been going for some wider tires and I'll be surprised if anything can penetrate a tire with the psi so low.
Old 08-18-15, 08:58 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Actually, I can't guess the rest. There are at least 10 things which could have gone wrong.
Old 08-19-15, 04:03 AM

The darned thing was flat next day. . .innertube split. Not due to penetration.
Old 08-19-15, 05:14 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

+1 to their flat resistance. Maybe a little harder to install but absolutely doable.

Last edited by BigAura; 08-19-15 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 10:51 AM

The Marathon tyres weigh such a lot . . .I eventually sent for a Gator which sounds OK and was on special offer . . . .wi free delivery. Puts a smile on an ole fellas face! Ta for all the advice . . .Now, I look forward to fitting . . that may wipe the smile off me . . .
Old 08-19-15, 08:07 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Our tandem has had a set of Marathon Supremes (20"/406 and 26"/559) on for a year/1000+ miles - no flats and don't remember seeing any little punctures or bits of debris embedded in the tire surface, either. I try to check for that either before or after every ride. The Supremes are said to be less puncture-proof than the Pluses but are lighter, more supple, etc. Cost too much but I have inexpensive tires on my other bikes so it evens out.
Old 08-20-15, 08:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I've gone thru the typical range of road tires, mostly light weight high performance tires and for the roads where I live my experience has been that flats are just as likely to happen with any of the tires. Although I've never ridden the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's (I don't have a bike with room for them) a friend has on his hybrid. He bought them specifically for their reputation to be "puncture proof". So the first day he rode along as many shoulders as he could until, not surprisingly, he got a flat. The shop offered his money back, but he decided to smarten up and ride where the thorns don't hide. For me, to pay extra $ for a tire that is supposedly more flat resistant doesn't make sense. I'll just buy a couple more tubes over the life of the tire.