Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Accessory that was worth the money

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Accessory that was worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 09:38 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I've been thinking about the question of accessory worth the money for a few days. The trouble I was having was distinguishing in my mind the difference between accessories that are essential components to cycling, such as shoes, to those items that are optional. Even blinking lights these days are seemingly essential versus nice to have. My conclusion of all the accessories that I ride with, several of which I've justified the cost as being "worth it", about the only non-essential accessory worth the money is the Sprintech mirror on the handlebars.
Old 08-29-15, 10:30 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quik Stik tire tool
Old 08-29-15, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of those bar-end mirrors that fits in my drops. I'd say it was definitely worth the money. Only problem is I need to keep adjusting it up because of the rotten roads around here. Should probably try to put some tape on it or something to hold it in position better. Even as is though, it works better than any helmet mirror I've tried. I realize that mirrors are looked down on by many, but the older I've gotten, the more safety conscious I am. And, since reaching the (over-ripe) age of 60, for some reason my head doesn't seem to swivel so good anymore!

In the completely not needed category, I'd have to go with my Garmin Fenix 3. Orders of magnitude too expensive, but oh so nice. All those stats are so not necessary, but I find tracking my rides and progress over time to be a huge motivator, and its the coolest looking sports watch going (IMO).

Also have a new cell phone stem mount coming that I have high hopes for. It'll be interesting to see whether that turns out to be worth the money.
Old 08-29-15, 07:35 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
Quik Stik tire tool
Bought one of those long ago, wasn't sure if it was a gimmick, turned out very handy, always take one along in combo w/a couple of regular plastic levers.
Old 08-29-15, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenwing
I have one of those bar-end mirrors that fits in my drops. I'd say it was definitely worth the money. Only problem is I need to keep adjusting it up because of the rotten roads around here. Should probably try to put some tape on it or something to hold it in position better. Even as is though, it works better than any helmet mirror I've tried. I realize that mirrors are looked down on by many, but the older I've gotten, the more safety conscious I am. And, since reaching the (over-ripe) age of 60, for some reason my head doesn't seem to swivel so good anymore!

Have you tried the Safe Zone mirror? It's extra-wide, has neato gooseneck arm that's fairly easy to adjust. Looking into it requires less change in vision angle than handlebar mirror.
Old 08-30-15, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Have you tried the Safe Zone mirror? It's extra-wide, has neato gooseneck arm that's fairly easy to adjust. Looking into it requires less change in vision angle than handlebar mirror.
I've seen it but not tried it. May pick one up and give it a whirl.
Old 08-30-15, 11:53 AM

Bikes: New Albion Privateer Custom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my list date purchase or repurchase all still being used.
1) P38 Can Opener (May 1971)
2)Blackburn under saddle Tool Pouch (June 1974)
3)Kucharik American made 100% Merino Wool cycling clothing (May 1994) (May 2014)
4) Garmin Vista HCx GPS / North American Maps (March 2009) New Maps (June 2014)
5) Sony Z3 truly waterproof smartphone (March 2015) Lollipop operating system (May 2015)
Road ID (2011)
Bike Forums take note I believe I became a member in (2004) but because of a low post count I had to reregister a few times. Really trying to keep the post count up so...they won't bump me in 2087. +1 website for sure

Last edited by darkstar173rd; 08-30-15 at 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot two items
Old 08-30-15, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
5' cable lock I use when going into a store to get ice/water.
Old 08-30-15, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo 7
Old 08-30-15, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Yes indeed!

For me, It has to be my Nite Rider Lumina. Not only have the folks at NR designed a light that works great, but a bracket that works extreme well.
I cannot logically explain it, but battery bags drive me bat guano.

Yeah, I remember when a "bike headlight" was nothing more than a cheaply manufactured flashlight, made into a headlight, with a horribly made
bracket. The best thing available in the 70s was that french made light that had a white lens, and a red lens, and could be strapped onto your
leg or arm. I had one, but sadly, I tossed it years ago. Probably a collectable now.

By the way, anyone know whatever happened to Vistalite? Just plain gone, I guess.

Does anyone remember the old generators? I had one on my first "10 speed", a Sears "Free Spirit" I got in '73 for Christmas at age 13. The thing was spring loaded and at night you dropped it down on your rear tire and it powered a headlight and rear red light. The faster you went the brighter it was. Neither were very bright as I recall but better than battery power.

Edit: My gosh they still have 'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41KZAd1Ob+L.jpg (26.9 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by WNCGoater; 08-30-15 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-30-15, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had one but, yes, I do remember those..
Old 08-30-15, 08:25 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Do a set of rollers count as "accessories?" My set of resistance rollers are almost 20 years old and were a life-changing purchase, not bad for $125. I don't have anything else that's all that special, just ordinary stuff where one model might be nicer than another or not.
Old 08-31-15, 08:34 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Does anyone remember the old generators? I had one on my first "10 speed", a Sears "Free Spirit" I got in '73 for Christmas at age 13. The thing was spring loaded and at night you dropped it down on your rear tire and it powered a headlight and rear red light. The faster you went the brighter it was. Neither were very bright as I recall but better than battery power.

Yep! But I thought mine was on the front wheel??
Old 08-31-15, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Best accessories : Dropper post on my MTB. Bright flashing rear light, powered by 3 AAA batteries, for my roadie.
Old 08-31-15, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere
Definitely front for me. I remember how much harder you had to work to pedal when that thing was engaged. Gave me a lasting appreciation of the work involved in power generation. I still think of it when I go around the house turning off lights people carelessly leave on.
Old 08-31-15, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere
You could mount them to either wheel. We just always had them in back. Little wires coiled around the frame to the front light.
Old 08-31-15, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of choices. As has been mentioned, LED lighting is a game-changer compared to 20-years ago when you had to dedicate a bottle cage just to hold the battery.
- I also really like the Keep On Kovers for my Speedplays; so much nicer than having to carry and remember to put on the Coffee Caps.
- I really like my Garmin Edge 500 and 810. They are expensive, but I'm a numbers junkie and I enjoy all the data I can accumulate.
- Hirame chuck that I put on my Silca floor pump. Honestly, that chuck will make almost any POS pump into a joy to use.
- The Hozan cable cutters I just got to replace an old pair of Suntour cable cutters; I need to be careful I don't go around snipping my cables too short (at least if I do, I know they'll still be round).
- Take-a-Look mirror. Tried several others (bar-mount, helmet mount); nothing is as easy for me to use as the Take-a-Look.
- Spurcycle Bell. Incredibly expensive for a bell. However it is loud (for a bell), has a pleasant tone, is nice and small (so it doesn't eat up valuable real estate on my bars), and looks nice.

There probably are others, but those are the accessories that come to mind.
-
Old 08-31-15, 08:36 PM

Had a Union (German) generator light that attached near the bb, generator wheel driven off center of tire not sidewall. Worked OK until it snowed--one would think a German light would be designed to work in the snow.

In the 70's/80's some guy sold bike lights based on the highway construction barrier flashing lights w/lead-acid battery. Super-heavy, IIRC the complete system weighed ~6 kg; but at the time it was basically the only bike light w/adequate brightness.

In re something perhaps not worth the money but still kind of cool, they can do different colorful patterns: https://www.hokeyspokes.com/

Old 09-01-15, 08:57 AM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts

I had one of those on a Schwinn Varsity that I had briefly in college. Had another one on a communter bike in the 90s. Not the safest thing, since the light would go out when you stopped at an intersection.
Old 09-02-15, 01:24 AM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same bike. I was 10 in 1973, and got a Free Spirit 10 speed for Christmas....and yes, i had the generator headlight too. Rode that bike silly....Things were so much simpler then.

Today, my favorite accessory is a bar mounted mirror. $10 at Wally World, but being able to see what's behind you is priceless.
Old 09-02-15, 04:09 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I installed a Mirrycle Bar End Mirror and that has saved me from crashing into other riders who were passing me and puts my mind at ease in respect of traffic behind me.

Having a kickstand made far more of a difference than I would have expected. Whenever I ride home from work and just want to stop in at the shops on the way home, it is perfect.
Old 09-02-15, 05:20 AM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I used one of these on a bike I road to work back in 1987. The only problem was that there was no light when you stopped. It was a pretty cool idea though.
Old 09-02-15, 06:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Rack, trunk pack, rear view mirror, and tools.
Old 09-02-15, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
$2 Bell tube patch kit..... If you ever had a flat 12 miles from home on a lonely stretch of the mup with nobody around you know what I mean.
Old 09-03-15, 07:29 AM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Topeak Road Morph pump, Mirricle mirror

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.