Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When is it time for a 3 Wheeler . . .?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When is it time for a 3 Wheeler . . .?

Old 08-26-15, 11:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My riding style wouldn't tolerate taking a big hit on speed; so no trikes in the immediate future...
IIRC, the absolute pedal cycle record for Lands End to John O'Groats is held by a fellow making use of a trike. Trike speed is what it is.
Old 08-26-15, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess it depends on the style of trike.

The trikes that appear to be fun, were traveling over 20+ mph into a 15mph head wind. The low profile with a 700c rear wheel combined to make a very fast trike. I couldn't keep up. This was on an organized metric century. I talked with both riders for awhile, then they said time to move and both were gone. The 2 riders easily pulled away. Guessing one rider was 30+ and the other 60+, likely father and son. I was thinking right then, that I was riding the wrong style of bike.

So the trikes that intrigue me are fast, now I see them regularly on organized and group rides. A LBS sells a couple models, haven't tried one yet, but very tempting.
Old 08-26-15, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Where in Oregon, GFish? (Maybe I know them.)
Old 08-26-15, 06:13 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
N+1 is the time for a tadpole trike.
Makes you feel like a kid again.
Old 08-28-15, 10:40 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
It's a bit of a mystery to me why (non-recumbent) trikes aren't more popular. Schwinn used to make a couple of nice (if heavy) models aimed at retired crowd. Huge basket to carry groceries or toy poodle. I like to ride in snow/ice but it's always a challenge even with fat knobby tires. Last winter I rode a MTB over snowy/icy roads, worked fine for majority of ride but in last 200 meters the front wheel slipped & caused a minor spill. A trike would be a breeze in such conditions. Some bike fanatics own 5-10 bikes but strangely don't include a trike.

Locally I see a lot of oldsters on bike/trike recumbents, <1% seem to be doing anything other than slow local fitness rides. Their cycles seem to have even less rack/pannier capacity than avg commuting bike.

UK was a hotbed of performance trikes, Bob Jackson made nice trikes. I suppose that with adequate budget a US buyer could get a sweet road/touring-type trike built by custom builder.
Old 08-29-15, 01:13 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The unpopularity of upright trikes is no mystery. Like StephenH said earlier in the thread, they are less stable than a two-wheeler unless you restrict your speed to a few mph. Try a fast downhill on one. If it's perfectly straight, that might work out. If it contains anything resembling a bend, have an ambulance standing by. Even the racing versions have to corner in slow motion.

Last edited by chasm54; 08-29-15 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 07:27 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Remembering the days of the 3-wheel ATVs. Tricky when cornering.
Old 08-29-15, 08:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Remembering the days of the 3-wheel ATVs. Tricky when cornering.
Don't gotta remember back when; I see Harley trikes out on the road all the time right now. The riders hardly look like they're scanning ahead for an ambulance - they look like they're having fun. Harley ended 90+ years of sidecar production a few years ago because trikes, which they've built since 1932, were so much more in demand.

But certainly, if one had particular concerns, an adult upright pedal trike could be (and in fact on occasion has been) built with a wide stance, longish wheelbase and low center of gravity and be quite stable, like a Can Am Spyder.

Last edited by tcs; 08-29-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 08:31 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Sidecars. I love watching them race.
Old 08-29-15, 08:44 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Sidecars.
Sidecar? Here ya go.
Old 08-29-15, 08:50 AM

That man needs a Huffy.
Old 08-29-15, 09:06 AM
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I broke my wrist last year, I had a flash that perhaps I "should" be worried about stability so while recovering, I browsed for info about tadpole trikes. This led to browsing ads, which in turn lead to a purchase of a used ICE Sprint. My stability concern turned out to be more of a "confidence" thing, from which I am fully recovered. Nevertheless, I am thrilled with the trike. It's a blast to ride, especially when you lift the inside front wheel and it seems to impress pre and early teen kids (and how hard is it for an old guy to do that?). It's a bit slower than my other bikes, but still respectable. I rode the whole 44 miles of the Withlacoochee Trail in Florida earlier this year at a 14+ average speed.

Also, try tackling the South Pole on a bike. World's first cycle to the South Pole achieved
Old 08-29-15, 01:12 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
It's a bit of a mystery to me why (non-recumbent) trikes aren't more popular. Schwinn used to make a couple of nice (if heavy) models aimed at retired crowd. Huge basket to carry groceries or toy poodle. I like to ride in snow/ice but it's always a challenge even with fat knobby tires. Last winter I rode a MTB over snowy/icy roads, worked fine for majority of ride but in last 200 meters the front wheel slipped & caused a minor spill. A trike would be a breeze in such conditions. Some bike fanatics own 5-10 bikes but strangely don't include a trike.

Locally I see a lot of oldsters on bike/trike recumbents, <1% seem to be doing anything other than slow local fitness rides. Their cycles seem to have even less rack/pannier capacity than avg commuting bike.

UK was a hotbed of performance trikes, Bob Jackson made nice trikes. I suppose that with adequate budget a US buyer could get a sweet road/touring-type trike built by custom builder.
Hey! I resemble that remark. Except for the trike part - not that old, yet. Am I in the <1% club? Almost 2% today - on a ride this morning, out of 65 riders, I was the only one on a 'bent (bike).
Old 08-29-15, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by tcs
Don't gotta remember back when; I see Harley trikes out on the road all the time right now. The riders hardly look like they're scanning ahead for an ambulance...
The difference is in weight distribution. A Harley has a lot of weight down low - the engine and tranny. Not so with an old-style upright delta trike. Plus there's the efficiency issue. An old-style delta only drives one wheel, which is off to the side. That can be rectified with a differential, at the expense of weight, complexity, and cost. A Harley has power to burn, a cyclist does not.
Old 08-29-15, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It is no mystery to me as to why I see so few adult (non recumbent) trikes ridden in my area even though the weather is conducive to year around riding. The cost isn't prohibitive. I can go on Amazon and buy one for $300 or less and have it shipped to my door for free. It is all about the weight and inefficiency of the trike. $300 gets you a 70 pound one-speed trike. Even a slight hill is a challenge for a rider with a trike that heavy. No gears means you have to pedal really hard up a hill and really spin going down the other side if you want to go any distance in a reasonable amount of time. You have to factor in that a fair number of adults are overweight (69%)* or even obese (35%)* which makes it even harder to ride such a trike. Then, there is the general laziness factor for a lot of folks. Ride a bike? Why should I when I have a car?

I've seen a fair number of recumbent trike riders recently. Far more than the few granny trike riders. We even have a trike dealer in town for the first time in years though it isn't a brand I would want to ride.
* obesity statistics from Center for Disease Control and Prevention 2011-2012 (most recent data)
Old 08-29-15, 04:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The difference is...
You say trikes are slow; I point out one that's an absolute record holder. I point to examples of modern trikes, you respond with perceived faults of trikes of the 1950s. You are resistant. That's cool; we're just a bunch of folks yakking about cycles.
Old 08-29-15, 04:42 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It is no mystery to me as to why I see so few adult (non recumbent) trikes ridden in my area even though the weather is conducive to year around riding. The cost isn't prohibitive. I can go on Amazon and buy one for $300 or less and have it shipped to my door for free. It is all about the weight and inefficiency of the trike. $300 gets you...
It's been a while since I've surveyed the market. What does $300 get one in a recumbent trike these days?
Old 08-29-15, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
No such thing as a new $300 recumbent trike (or bike for that matter)

The $300 was for a traditional (granny) trike, not a recumbent trike. It gets you a one-speed Schwinn with the basket and all that stuff mentioned by one of the people who replied to this thread. Here's a price list for a large recumbent dealer in the east: https://www.bicycleman.com/files/Bicy...Price-List.pdf As you can see, even Sunseeker doesn't have anything much below 1K and while their trikes are made with quality components (brands you would at least recognize) they are on the heavy side. That's why you don't see many young recumbent trike riders because they simply don't have the kind of disposable income to justify plopping down $2K or more for a trike when that money will buy you a pretty nice (much lighter) road bike. Of course you don't get the trike grin and comfort with the road bike.
Old 08-29-15, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tcs
You say trikes are slow; I point out one that's an absolute record holder. I point to examples of modern trikes, you respond with perceived faults of trikes of the 1950s. You are resistant. That's cool; we're just a bunch of folks yakking about cycles.
Sorry, I over-clipped. Of course ALL trikes aren't slow. I was referring mostly to the old-fashioned single-speed upright delta trikes as being heavy and slow. Modern recumbent tadpoles are, for the most part, still slower than 2-wheelers but they're efficient enough that they shouldn't scare folks away. OTOH, some are pretty fast and some are VERY fast. The very fast ones cost more than $300 though.

Put a full body on a trike and it can be 'blazing-' fast. This is me, modeling a sort-of-fast one.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 08-29-15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It is no mystery to me as to why I see so few adult (non recumbent) trikes ridden in my area even though the weather is conducive to year around riding. The cost isn't prohibitive. I can go on Amazon and buy one for $300 or less and have it shipped to my door for free. It is all about the weight and inefficiency of the trike. $300 gets you a 70 pound one-speed trike. Even a slight hill is a challenge for a rider with a trike that heavy. No gears means you have to pedal really hard up a hill and really spin going down the other side if you want to go any distance in a reasonable amount of time. You have to factor in that a fair number of adults are overweight (69%)* or even obese (35%)* which makes it even harder to ride such a trike. Then, there is the general laziness factor for a lot of folks. Ride a bike? Why should I when I have a car?

I've seen a fair number of recumbent trike riders recently. Far more than the few granny trike riders. We even have a trike dealer in town for the first time in years though it isn't a brand I would want to ride.
* obesity statistics from Center for Disease Control and Prevention 2011-2012 (most recent data)
Schwinn Meridian is 70 lbs even w/aluminum frame--higher-priced Town & Country (3-speed) doesn't even list the weight, prolly 70 # also. Oof. Sure a trike requires extra wheel & tubing but that much extra weight is absurd. I could see an industrial trike weighing that much but a light-use trike? So you're right, weight alone is a big drawback. & moving to a lightweight upright trike is probably a huge price jump. Still think it might be handy for commuting in snow though. A heavy trike is slow but locally when it snows car-commuting is a nightmare so even a slow trike will beat the cars/metro/buses. On local path there's a fair # of folks that bike commute even in snow/ice but it's tricky & stressful often.
Old 08-29-15, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM
Hey! I resemble that remark. Except for the trike part - not that old, yet. Am I in the <1% club? Almost 2% today - on a ride this morning, out of 65 riders, I was the only one on a 'bent (bike).
There's a nearby LBS that specializes in recumbents which might explain local popularity. I'm sure if your group ride was long enough some of the other 64 riders might envy the comfy cockpit. Even top pros can suffer from saddle pain after all.
Old 08-29-15, 09:10 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The late, great Sheldon Brown was stricken with late-in-life MS. It really did a number on his sense of balance. So... his solution was to switch to a
Greenspeed, recumbent trike. Folks, I saw the man ride this, and he was able to move right along, with respectable power. Alas, the MS also
did a number on his energy level, so when he got tired, he would simply stop and find a good spot to watch the Kayak folks on the Charles river.
As he put it, he already had a built in easy chair. These greenspeeds are not in-expensive though. Good news: They do seem to be well-made.

So, when it time for a three wheeler? Unknown, but your mortality just dictate that you get one some day.

Old 08-29-15, 10:22 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I have been looking at a cat trike for some time and pretty well realize that sooner or later I will have to give up cycling or move to a trike. A good friend of mine rode with our group well into his mid 80s. By switching to a cat trike.

It was more than normal balance he told me once. It was those days when you were pushing up a hill and can just turn your cranks over you feel like you are going to fall before you can clip out. He said with the Trike he could simply stop and rest till he could go again.
Old 08-29-15, 10:33 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I like to ride in snow/ice but it's always a challenge even with fat knobby tires.
A trike works great in snow or ice in the right conditions. With a bicycle, you're dependent upon friction with the ground to keep you upright- get on something slick and you're in trouble. With a trike, if you go around a corner too fast, it's friction that'll turn you over- lose friction, and you may slide into stuff, but you can't turn over as easily, so it's great. With my Worksman trike, on icy crusty snow, it's fine. In loose snow, up to about 2", it's fine, over that and you can't go. You're pushing three wide tires through the snow, but only have traction on one, so it doesn't take much to stop it. I think on a lot of the adult upright trikes, only one rear wheel is driven, so you'd have the same problem.

Here's some videos I made several years ago, just out having fun when nobody else could ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_I6jH7DY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57P-OhgxulM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbIG1FUB2o
Old 08-30-15, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by StephenH
A trike works great in snow or ice in the right conditions. With a bicycle, you're dependent upon friction with the ground to keep you upright- get on something slick and you're in trouble. With a trike, if you go around a corner too fast, it's friction that'll turn you over- lose friction, and you may slide into stuff, but you can't turn over as easily, so it's great. With my Worksman trike, on icy crusty snow, it's fine. In loose snow, up to about 2", it's fine, over that and you can't go. You're pushing three wide tires through the snow, but only have traction on one, so it doesn't take much to stop it. I think on a lot of the adult upright trikes, only one rear wheel is driven, so you'd have the same problem.

Here's some videos I made several years ago, just out having fun when nobody else could ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_I6jH7DY8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57P-OhgxulM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbIG1FUB2o
Dude, drifting a tricycle in the winter. Hmmmm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.