Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I thought my bike addiction was gone....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:44 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This addiction that we call cycling is affecting me again. I thought I had a complete stable to keep me complacent, but evidently not. I know the symptoms well. It first starts out by riding one of your older bikes that you know has a few issues. Then that leads to looking at new bikes, and then to research to prove in your head that a new bike is the only way to solve the issues with the old bike. All this culminates with the trip to the bike store to prove to yourself that the new bike is what you need now. Of course there is the test ride, which is the final confirmation that the old bike is a terrible machine that must no longer be part of your life. Then the realization that a new bike is going to cost more money then the paid for old bike, but never fear, the new bike will solve worlds problems, and it is a small price to pay to solve world problems... right?

Anyway, I don't know why I do this to myself. My old bike is actually not bad, but if there is a group that understands the wants/needs of cycling, it is this group. Biking is the one thing that outside of my family that keeps me sane, and feeling like a kid. I made it to the test ride today stage today. I'm sure it will follow me home soon enough. If nothing else, this is sort of like group therapy. Thanks for letting me share.

Maybe I should have started this by saying, my name is Jeff, and I am a bike-a-holic.
Old 08-31-15, 03:25 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My version of the 12-steps program is to observe a rule that I can only get a new one if I dispose of one of the old ones. I even managed fo dispose of one without replacing it, last year, on the grounds that I had three road bikes and the overlap between their riding styles and performance was such that one of them didn't get ridden much. So now I'm down to only four - an ageing but still excellent out-and-out racing bike, a custom steel road bike, a SS/FG and a heavy-duty expedition tourer. That seems very conservative to me, my compulsion is clearly well-controlled.

On the other hand, my tours aren't quite as remote or rugged these days, so maybe the expedition tourer could be traded in for a traditional drop-bar touring bike. And I really do need to think about electronic shifting on the racing bike...

Last edited by chasm54; 08-31-15 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 06:52 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I like to collect the old bikes that others dont want anymore.
Old 08-31-15, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Don't buy new, look for a good used bike.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 08-31-15, 11:35 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
Don't buy new, look for a good used bike.
LOL. I can't help feeling that you and the OP aren't quite on the same wavelength.
Old 08-31-15, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the post on your addiction. I'm now convinced it is viral and can be transmitted by reading or hearing about it from someone else, in this case Hill-Pumper. I want one too.
Old 08-31-15, 12:29 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My addiction doesn't cause me to buy new bikes (very often) but does keep me riding seven days a week, about 250 miles per week.

My wife (also a cyclist) thinks I ride too much. She says I don't recover well. So, OP, I think you're fine with you new bike purchase . . . so long as it doesn't consume your life; like cycling has consumed mine.

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-31-15, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
This addiction that we call cycling is affecting me again. I thought I had a complete stable to keep me complacent, but evidently not. I know the symptoms well. It first starts out by riding one of your older bikes that you know has a few issues. Then that leads to looking at new bikes...Then the realization that a new bike is going to cost more money then the paid for old bike, but never fear, the new bike will solve worlds problems, and it is a small price to pay to solve world problems... right?

Anyway, I don't know why I do this to myself. My old bike is actually not bad, but if there is a group that understands the wants/needs of cycling, it is this group...I made it to the test ride today stage today. I'm sure it will follow me home soon enough. If nothing else, this is sort of like group therapy. Thanks for letting me share.

Maybe I should have started this by saying, my name is Jeff, and I am a bike-a-holic.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…So although the training schedule increases over 10 weeks from about 100 to 190 miles per week, I have at least been able to get in about 100+ miles per week.

Nonetheless, I’m pleased about that because after about 10 years of training by (time-consuming) miles I finally came around to emphasizing intensity (speed) more, and for me the effects seem even more beneficial. …
“Hi. My name is Jim, and I’m a mileage junkie…”Hi, Jim.”

“I started out touring, just week end trips, then week-long, and eventually a cross country tour. I thought I could stop…Just commuting to work…then year round, and then I found a way to train for centuries.

"After years of this 'soft riding' I discovered the 'hard stuff' - speed work and intervals, and now I can’t stop…I may be coming a…a…a roadie."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-31-15 at 01:15 PM.