Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Broken collarbone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Broken collarbone

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It's been 4 weeks since my clavicle surgery...everything has gone according to plan...I can lift my arm over my head....i was originally told to keep my arm in a sling for 6 weeks...the doctor saw my progress and relented...rode a stationery bike/recumbent since day 4. I wanted blood flow to area... Very little lifting..5 lbs max...mentally it has been challenging to pursue this course of action. First attempt at easy swimming today. Running later in the week. Hope to be back on bike at 6 weeks.
Old 11-25-15, 06:07 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm glad your healing is progressing. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-25-15, 09:29 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
It's been 4 weeks since my clavicle surgery...everything has gone according to plan...I can lift my arm over my head....i was originally told to keep my arm in a sling for 6 weeks...the doctor saw my progress and relented...rode a stationery bike/recumbent since day 4. I wanted blood flow to area... Very little lifting..5 lbs max...mentally it has been challenging to pursue this course of action. First attempt at easy swimming today. Running later in the week. Hope to be back on bike at 6 weeks.

Let us know how the swimming works out. It worked out great for me ... best PT for my broken collarbone(s).

Old 11-25-15, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two years ago this month. A distracted driver (uptight holiday shopper?) brushed me and I fell onto the sidewalk. Broke my right collar bone & two ribs. She never even slowed down.

I was 71 at the time and healed rather slowly. I now have a fairly prominent lump near my shoulder but don't seem to have any pain or range-of-motion problems. I believe I should have had surgery but my doctor(s) thought things would be fine without it, however, when I went back in a month or so later, "Doc" looked at my fresh X-ray and said: "Oh!" and proceeded to shine me on -- he ain't on my Xmas card list!.

I remember from my racing days (half a century ago) that the two most common bone injuries were broken collar bones and wrists. I had to wait fifty years to join that unhappy club.

Joe
Old 11-25-15, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My buddy broke his recently.

Surgery & healed up pretty quickly,

then crashed again for broken rib & punctured lung.

back on the bike, 'tho...
Old 11-26-15, 05:26 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
While attempting to swim i realized it was still too tender to do full swim strokes... So l just ran in the water and did swim strokes. Running today. My wife is a therapist and keeps a close eye on my recovery....��
Old 11-26-15, 06:50 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While attempting to swim i realized it was still too tender to do full swim strokes... So l just ran in the water and did swim strokes. Running today. My wife is a therapist and keeps a close eye on my recovery....��
Yup, been there. I managed a strange one-and-a-half armed doggy paddle. First time I swam I was proud to manage two widths of a small pool. A month down the road I was counting the lengths.
Old 11-26-15, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
About 20 years ago for me.

Mine was repaired using a hand full of titanium screws and a wrap of what looks like bailing wire. It was a full 3 months before I was able to cycle again. Around 6 months after my first break, I endo-ed on my mountain bike, broke it again, and had to ride out of the woods by myself. All that was needed the second time was to wear a sling for a few weeks. I would prefer not to do that again.
Old 11-26-15, 09:53 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Running went extremely well. Zero pain...next is cycling...1 week maybe...
Old 11-27-15, 07:42 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Bent riders don't break collarbones.
+1 On bents, LWB bents especially it is almost impossible to go over the handle bars.
Old 01-27-16, 07:28 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Its been 12 weeks after collar bone surgery. At 4 weeks i ran approximately 1.5 miles. At 8 weeks i rode my bike 20 miles... And today at 12 weeks i swam a mile in the college pool. Happy with my progress. I am 61 yrs old...my pectoralis major which was cut during surgery is a little tight...
Old 01-28-16, 12:29 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Good to hear. I'm a believer in "increasing the blood flow to the area" for faster healing.
Old 01-29-16, 07:50 AM
Banned

Probably will never happen to me, I ride recumbents. No pain riding, and no chance of being tossed over the handle bars.
Old 01-29-16, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My handlebars make a good seat belt.
Old 01-29-16, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Probably will never happen to me, I ride recumbents. No pain riding, and no chance of being tossed over the handle bars.
When/if I get to the point I gotta ride a 'bent I'm just gonna go ahead and off myself!
Old 01-30-16, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ltxi
When/if I get to the point I gotta ride a 'bent I'm just gonna go ahead and off myself!
That is a really bad attitude. Before you do yourself in, you should ride a recumbent, and see how good they are. No pain, safety, and you get to see where you are riding.

Once I bought my first bent, I lost all interest in riding DF bikes ever again. I have been fully bent for 11 years now, and wish I had gotten a bent years earlier.
Old 01-30-16, 09:38 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
I'm guessing that you have never tried one.