Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help please with bike type....then make, model

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have read and researched....read and researched....and still uncertain...need advice so here are some facts
-58 and haven't ridden a bike in years....very active though...walk, kayak, garden, etc
-have limited budget...just retired...so 500 or below...less better to see if I will stick with the riding
-where I will be riding...trails on our property that are dirt, get muddy, covered with leaves, some roots, etc...then gravel or dirt roads...rural area so few if any paved. Also state parks that have same type of paths, trails
-5' 6'...140 lbs...short legs...longer body (maybe too much info)
I am leaning toward a mountain bike because I am afraid that a hybrid would not do well on the paths, trails but I don't know...that's the problem...need advice first on which type...then some good beginner, budget bikes. I am aware that a budget bike may not last as long but have to start somewhere and like my other hobbies...if I stick with it, then I upgrade later. Also, Craigslist is great if you know what to look for but I don't have any idea if the bike would be good, used, etc...in other words I could really get stuck...and also live at least 45 minutes from the "city" where the deals would be and would have to have someone to go along for safety reasons so thinking of bike shops. I have probably provided too much information but thought the more the better if someone could advise would be great Thanks!
Old 11-05-15, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alot of great questions, I saw a guy on a beautiful trek hybrid he got for $75 this year on the bike path. So you could look around for something like that. Get in touch with a local bike club and see if they can help you find the right bike. Check garage sales and craigslist also. What part of the world do you live? birdermom, also
Old 11-05-15, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Alot of great questions, I saw a guy on a beautiful trek hybrid he got for $75 this year on the bike path. So you could look around for something like that. Get in touch with a local bike club and see if they can help you find the right bike. Check garage sales and craigslist also. What part of the world do you live? birdermom, also
Live in rural southern Virginia..
Old 11-05-15, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
IMO, your best bet is to find a 5-15 year old "unused" used mountain bike. I'd stay in the 2000+ rather than bikes from the 90's. Maybe something like a Specialized Rockhopper. The only issue is not knowing what you are looking at. About 3 years ago I started riding a mountain bike and I only knew road bikes. I did a lot of research, checked MTBR reviews to get a good idea of what bikes would be good ones to look for. There are online sites for older catalogs that will give you specs, etc. Bikepedia will give you the original equipment and MSRP. If there are any stores that sell used bikes, that make sure they are in good working order, that is one way to go.

The other way is to find one on eBay or Craigslist. Obviously you probably need someone who can tell if the bike is worn out or not. I would think the most cost effective way would be a hardtail with 26" wheels maybe around 16" or a small size frame.

They are out there. I found a 2001 basically unridden Trek 8000 for my wife for $400 on eBay. It is old technology, but the trails haven't changed much over the years.

Good luck!

John
Old 11-05-15, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I think you'd be better starting with a hybrid, they're usually more upright and less aggressive than a mountain bike. But I'd look for a good deal that fits in either style. The right tires are important - I'd get a bike that fits, ride it on the trails, and when you see someone riding on the trail that looks like they know what they're doing ask them about tires.

But keep it simple: go to a recommended bike shop, they should be able to put you on a $500 hybrid that fits properly, ride it around, get to know it for a couple months, then maybe think about better tires. If the bike shop happens to have a demo or close out sale on a bike that fits, that would be good.
Old 11-05-15, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

My only concern about a hybrid is that I'm not sure how well it will do on muddy trails with roots.

John
Old 11-05-15, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My only concern about a hybrid is that I'm not sure how well it will do on muddy trails with roots.

John
First, how much shipping for the bike on ebay? And my concern with the hybrid was that also. We have trails on our property and when they get wet...mud...lots of leaves, etc....do hybrids do well with gravel? The other place that I would ride 50% of the time is gravel, dirt roads...
Old 11-05-15, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I'd go with anything cheap. Hybrid or MTB. Light as possible, but keep it under $200. Don't worry about lots of suspension. It is often heavy, and as I understand it, usually not the best in the low-end market.

Can you learn to "tune" the bike? If you want a shop to do all the work, then buy new. If you want to do all the work, then there are excellent used deals. And, even if you are a newbie, you can practice on a $50 bike, and don't worry about it if you break something.

Also check out the thrift shops. Often a bit beat up, but there are some excellent bikes.

Don't consider your first bike as a lifetime bike.

Once you get out on the bike, you'll be able to determine if you want to ride on roads, trails, or paths, and the condition of the paths you ride on. Also distances you wish to ride, and this will direct your second bike purchase.
Old 11-05-15, 02:34 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
The bike you get will depend on if you are mechanically inclined or not. Old mountain bikes, even good ones, aren't super expensive, but may require some work.
Old 11-05-15, 02:37 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I chose a comfy/hybrid type with compact frame, simple suspension fork (spring only, nothing fancy) and upright riding style when I resumed cycling a couple of months ago after a 30 year hiatus. Suits me. Easier on my busted up back and neck.

Probably a better compromise than the crank forward Electra Townie I first test rode (turns out there are more hills than I'd expected in my area, not the forte of the crank forward design). Much more comfortable than the standard road bike and drop bars I rode 30 years ago. And more versatile than a true mountain bike, since I also use it to run errands and get groceries.

With the right tires it's suitable for paved and unpaved routes, handles wet grass, some muddy trails, gravel, pretty much anything reasonably navigable I've encountered.

The original Specialized Hemisphere all terrain tires rode great, but were too flat-prone due to goat head grass burrs and other sharp pokey stuff. Nobody locally had the tougher Specialized Armadillos (and Specialized tires are rarely available for online sales - they pretty much sell only through local dealers). I just switched to Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40 rubber. Great tires so far. They ride pretty much like the Hemispheres, and no flats on the same routes that gave me fits in September-October.

Since installing the Michelins last week I've deliberately taken the bike on some nearby messy routes just to be sure: wet grass and rain-slick clay; dry rutted dirt trails with exposed tree roots; concrete storm drainage channel; deep, loose, dry reeds/cattails; sharp chunky gravel; smooth beach stones.

The latter - smooth beach stones - proved the biggest challenge. A nearby car dealership uses these instead of a lawn, next to the street. I wouldn't normally ride through someone's landscaping, but was recently forced to in order to dodge a street hazard where I normally ride. In rush hour traffic I had to quickly zip into the car dealership's driveway to dodge a street hazard, and encountered those loose smooth beach stones. It felt like quicksand. But as long as I was in a low gear and kept up a spinning pace rather than trying to mash my way through, the bike and all terrain tires handled it just fine.

There are lots of good hybrids from Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. Personally I'm a fan of suspension forks, but opinions differ on those. If the stock tires are road oriented, ask the shop if they'll swap for some good all terrain tires with more bite for unpaved routes, while not being too sluggish on smooth pavement.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-05-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...sounds like the way for me to go may be a used bike if I can find....rides well...so some suggestions for makes, models, that I can be looking for that will fit my needs and what size should I be looking for....go by my height? I seem to see more mountain bikes than hybrids for sale in the local craigslist/ebay. I know I need to "check it out" but don't want to travel 45 miles and get there and the bike be too small...too large..general guide
Old 11-05-15, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by birdermom
First, how much shipping for the bike on ebay? And my concern with the hybrid was that also. We have trails on our property and when they get wet...mud...lots of leaves, etc....do hybrids do well with gravel? The other place that I would ride 50% of the time is gravel, dirt roads...
Shipping costs depends on each auction. I bought 2 bikes off of ebay and the shipping was about $60 each time. I'm not really suggesting that eBay as a first place to find one, because you do have to rely on the pictures and he information you can get from the seller. For my wife's mountain bike, I compare the components in the pictures to the ones listed in the catalog. There were also other signs like the flashing on the original tires and no marks on the black chainrings. I will echo what has been said about maintenance because I did have to do some assembly and I greased anything that needed it and tuned up the wheels, shifting, etc.

I'm not that familiar with hybrids of those surfaces. Most of the ones I have seen have narrower tires that probably would not be good in the mud and I don't know the maximum width of tire that would fit. I do agree with others that you don't need a lot of suspension if the trails are fairly smooth.

John
Old 11-05-15, 03:14 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You need to buy a Local Bike Shop that will cater to your needs. I think it foolish to attempt to buy a used or an EBay bike as a neophyte. There are many suitable bikes that come in at $500 or less, and some LBS's also carry used bikes. Not sure if this is possible where you live, but I think you could make a major mistake getting one used unless you know how to size, measure cogset, chain ring and chain wear, etc.

I would get a mtn bike like a Specialized, Trek etc. They are all going to be pretty much comparable, with good guarantees, and a good LBS will stand behind it. Unless you want continuous trouble, don't buy a cheapie.
Old 11-05-15, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a fair amount of trail riding on a Giant Roam hybrid. It comes with chunkier tires than most hybrids but still samilar width. I try to stay out of deep mud but a little mud hasn't bothered me.
Old 11-05-15, 03:51 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

My local bike shop recommended something like a Trek Verve, based on my test rides of an Electra Townie and a Trek hybrid. They had a good used Verve in stock - very briefly - within my budget (around $300), but it was sold by the time I got there the next day. So I pored over Craigslist until I found something comparable in my budget - a Globe Carmel, part of a now-discontinued Specialized bargain lineup, for just over $100. I've ridden it 3-4 times a week for the past two months and like it fine. I'll probably ride it another 6 months to a year before deciding whether I can make good use of another bike, but for now it's versatile enough for me.

The main advice I'd give is to get all terrain, puncture resistant tires like the Michelins I got recently (Protek Cross Max), or Specialized Armadillo, or something comparable. I see good user reports for the Vittoria Randonneur RFX, and comparable affordable tires from other makes. Some folks swear by Continental Gatorskins, but those cost more and most models are geared toward road bikes rather than all-terrain pavement/trail riding.

Also consider some puncture resistant tubes (variable thickness - thicker toward the tire side) or self sealing tubes. The puncture resistant tires and tubes will be a bit heavier and ride a bit slower, but you'll barely notice in most situations. And it sure beats fixing flats. After four flats last month - three in one weekend - I switched to puncture resistant tubes and tires. I notice a little difference on some steep uphills, but that's about all.

And if your preferred riding routes include muddy paths, you might consider fenders. I'll probably add some to my bike soon. I used to commute in all kinds of weather on a lightweight road bike without fenders and it was a mess on rainy days. My bike's minimum weight is just under 30 lbs, but in actual practice is closer to 40 lbs for errands, including the rear rack I added, trunk bag on the rear rack, handlebar bags, lights, mini-pump on the frame, water bottle, etc. So a little extra weight from fenders won't matter. If it's more pleasant to ride without worrying about a little wet on the road, I'm more likely to hop on the bike whenever the whim moves me.
Old 11-05-15, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid bike is the ticket. A entry level hard tail mountain bike will also work and is close to the same thing. Do not recommend a low end full suspension MTB, not needed for paths and unpaved roads. Lots of people do without the front suspension, but for washboard roads is more comfortable. Just about any major brand will have a full selection of hybrids. Your budget will likely put you at their least expensive options.

Make sure you get a bike that fits. A medium sized frame might be too big for you. A good bike shop will get you on the right sized bike and can adjust handle bars to fit you (they might need to swap stem for a longer one to fit your upper body). A good fit is very important - don't go for a bargain figuring you will make do with an oversized bike, you will regret it.
Old 11-05-15, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A 1990s rigid (no suspension) mountain bike in either 26" or 700c wheel size will suit you well and should cost $200 or less in good mechanical condition. The better ones aren't any heavier than many current hybrids and they are very durable, versatile, comfortable, and parts are still readily available. If you can find something like this that fits and is in good shape for say $150 and put another $100 into creature comforts like a better saddle, Ergon bar end grips, etc. you'll be set.

There are a lot of good multi-surface tires out there. My preference is Schwalbe Smart Sam which are fine for anything from pavement to moderately loose gravel or turf. They come up short in deep mud or soft sand.

Stay away from any low end suspension. A cheap suspension fork is more like a pogo stick than a shock absorber and adds unnecessary weight.
Old 11-05-15, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think going with a bike shop may be the thing for me to do at this time due to the fact I have no idea about fit and I am totally unprepared to "fix" anything. Later down the road if I stick with the hobby I may feel more comfortable buying used and learn how to do basic repairs, etc. I found a closer bike shop that sells Trek so if someone could recommend a basic mountain bike or hybrid for this brand that you have had experience with that would be great if they make them in my budget. I can go into the larger city where there are several shops but if this one has something it would be good to buy and build a relationship as close to home as possible. I am sure the shops in Richmond have all the brands so don't hesitate to recommend some other if you have had a good experience with it. Thanks for all the great information and especially the recommendations for tires. I do remember many years ago all the flats I would have....
Old 11-05-15, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Unless you are way out in the middle of nowhere... then Craigslist, Thrift Stores, and perhaps second hand stores and pawn shops would be the place to look for good used MTBs and Hybrids.

Shipping is way to high to be hunting for a $100 bike on E-Bay.

Only use E-Bay if you have some very specific needs. Titanium? Classic Carbon Fiber, etc. But, you're asking for a bike for a newbie... find something simple. Try it out. Then consider alternatives for your next bike.
Old 11-05-15, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always suggest going to 2-3 LBSs, as you don't know how the service is, if you only go to one. Also, if you go to multiple, you stand a better chance of getting a good fit. And you can compare the fit and how it feels on the test ride against the other bikes. Also, let the salespeople know that you are doing this, so they have more incentive to sell you a bike that fits rather than a bike that they want to get rid of.

GH
Old 11-05-15, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have a Trek 820 Women's bike or the Skye 26? Just looking at brands and models that the closest shop has available in my area. I am going to go slow....go to several bike shops as suggested and also see what is available on Craigslist....just wish I felt more confident about buying off there.
Old 11-05-15, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you find something on craigslist post it on here and we will help. price, and several pics. or i guess just put the craiglist link up. Also Giant bikes are very nice.
Old 11-05-15, 07:11 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by GravelMN
Stay away from any low end suspension. A cheap suspension fork is more like a pogo stick than a shock absorber and adds unnecessary weight.
I'd heard that as well. Turned out to be a non-issue. The low end Suntour spring suspension fork on my Globe Carmel works fine where I've ridden, including our rough brick historical boulevard, oblique approaches/exits across curb-like driveway ramps, unpaved rutted dirt paths, etc. It's no mountain bike but it handles those ordinary challenges just fine. The Trek 820 the OP is considering has an even better spring fork.

FWIW, I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, with a permanently damaged C2 vertebra. So the cushioning is a must for me to ride without pain. But I wouldn't be satisfied with an uncertain feeling squishy pogo stick, since my rides do include some rough paved and unpaved routes.
Old 11-05-15, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look into cyclocross bikes. Trails, mud, road they do it all.
Old 11-05-15, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh no..another type....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.