Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Glucosamine Sulfate?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Glucosamine Sulfate?

Old 12-20-15, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Pretty fast ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 56 I got off my bike and started back at a more well rounded fitness approach. Getting in a much great degree of knee flexion with different training (squats/oly lifts/rowing/etc) in a few weeks my knees were smoked with that deep ROM. Over the next 5 months I tried many different thing from mobility work/feeding some "slack" to tendon ends, a visit to the Ortho and HA injections and months on Ibutrofen (that wrecked my stomach). They were bad enough they woke me up several time s a night.

With NO expectation I'd get much if any relief and certainly for not at least a month, I started on GS w/chondroitin and krill oil. Much to my utter amazement in 3 in days I was totally pain free and that has continued for over a year. I'm squatting almost 300# way below parallel, Oly lift the the snatch a$$ to grass and can row or do any deep flexion movements totally pain free.

YMMV but that seems to be the MO on GC w/C, not much science to back it up but it's really helpful for some people. Just because it doesn't work for many is no logical reason to no see if it'll help you.

https://ard.bmj.com/content/early/201...14-206792.full

Last edited by Bronze Potato; 12-20-15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 08:10 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
It seems to work for me anyway.

Turmeric (curucumin) just lightened by wallet, but others have good results with it.
Old 12-21-15, 12:09 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
The pain/discomfort is effeminately much less.
Wait, wut?
Old 12-21-15, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
The should have been definitively!
Old 12-28-15, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
After taking it for years my knee pain was minor and only occasional. Since I stopped taking it a few years ago I have experienced only minor knee pain, and it occurs only occasionally.
I go with this ringing endorsement. Yep.
Old 12-29-15, 09:04 AM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From Examine.com:

Glucosamine is primarily sold as a joint health supplement. Studies show that supplementing glucosamine sulfate will reduce the rate of collagen (joint tissue) degradation and symptoms of osteoarthritis. Though glucosamine is comparable to acetaminophen, the reference drug for osteoarthritis, in potency, it is not as reliable.

Studies on athletes supplementing glucosamine are limited, but preliminary evidence suggests doses as high as 3,000mg of glucosamine sulfate may be able to slow joint degradation. This effect is most relevant for athletes participating in high impact sports, like running.

Though preliminary evidence suggested glucosamine supplementation could cause insulin resistance, follow up studies conclude that glucosamine supplementation does not affect glucose metabolism.
Glucosamine is very safe to supplement and its most common side-effect is flatulence. Glucosamine supplementation cannot cure osteoarthritis, but it can slow the progression of the disease.
If you check out the Human Effects Matrix at the link, it shows that repeated high-quality studies show Glucosamine has a minor effect.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-01-16, 04:16 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I did and it was useless.
The best thing I ever did for my knees was cycling on a properly fitted bike
Me too. I bought a 120 ct bottle of Source Naturals Hyaluronic Acid Complex (with glucosamine, collagen type 2, MSM and chondroitin, and I took the recommended 4 a day for 1 month. My knees felt no better.
Ice does them the most good.