Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non Lycra and Staying Warm - Re-Purposing Casual Clothing for Cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non Lycra and Staying Warm - Re-Purposing Casual Clothing for Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 08:28 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Being you are living where (compared to us) it is summer all the time, there is one general rule that works: start out with clothing you feel a little bit chilly with. When you warm up it will be just right. Simple.
Old 12-20-15, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If it works, use it. Cycling specific clothing is generally less likely to bunch up, chafe, ride up or ride down, flap, billow, get soggy, etc. while riding. Many non-bike technical apparel items can work, but often don't fit well in a riding position with arms forward and knees pumping up and down. If you're riding short distances on a bike with an upright riding position, these can be less of an issue.
Old 12-20-15, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are correct sir. this took me a long time to get down, just did not like to start out cold. But after going 5 miles having to take stuff off i figured it out.
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Being you are living where (compared to us) it is summer all the time, there is one general rule that works: start out with clothing you feel a little bit chilly with. When you warm up it will be just right. Simple.
Old 12-20-15, 08:49 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Who has bought clothing to protect themselves from their bicycle? This must be like many of your other imagined horrors you dream up that we are supposedly suffering through. You are a broken record, or smudged CD that gets stuck and just gets annoying.

FT, look at some of the mtb clothing that is out, it is cut like you seem to want in many cases. Its pretty well made goods, as far as the Cannondale things I have seen in our LBS. I like Chas thoughts about what you may want to look into. When I commuted I liked to wear cargo shorts and most any sport shirt, or t-shirt/polo type shirt. Platform pedals so I could wear running shoes, but with toe clips and straps on quills were my usual choice. Winter time I like khakis, and a strap to keep the drive side trouser leg out of the chain ring. Light weight running and cycling jackets work real well, and Gore-Tex is your good friend for rain gear, IMHO. Hope that you find something you like and are comfortable riding, after all the crap you had to fight with lately you don't need anything else being a problem.

Bill

The mods may delete, or punish me, as they see fit, it just gets old to constantly read his crap. Sorry for stealing your thread, Frank, my apologies to you and everyone else.
I dare say that every DF rider that has bought "lycra cycling shorts" with a dead sheep skin or padding, are buying shorts to protect themselves from their bike.
Old 12-20-15, 09:00 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
you are correct sir. this took me a long time to get down, just did not like to start out cold. But after going 5 miles having to take stuff off i figured it out.
I go through that every spring. It took a few of them to finally get a loose formula together. I wont wear shorts unless temps are near 60.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 12-20-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right anything much under 60 i cover the knees
I go through that every spring. It took a few of them to finally get a loose formula together. I wont wear shorts unless temps are near 60.
Old 12-20-15, 02:33 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Long johns? Really? In SoCal? You'll broil.
I agree with you, but for some reason I am extremely sensitive to cold. Could be the Plavix and other medications I'm on. Not sure! I agree that for most of the year, to include a lot of days in the winter long johns or thermal underwear will be overkill. Five years ago I used to have a ton of bicycle specific clothing and this time of year often wore Pearl Ozumi Amfib Tights over bib shorts with a winter jersey and a windbreaker on top.

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Whats with all the self-inflicted drama?

You first claim you want to be able to get on the bike and ride with whatever you are wearing for the day, and yet, go on and on about all of the specialty clothing needed to ride for various conditions.
Yep, want to ride with re-purposed clothing vs. bicycle specific. Rain is a whole other issue. Lycra or any other clothing is going to get pretty cool if wet. I just happen to have gore tex clothing left over from backpacking days. All I added was a $18 hood. Don't be overly harsh. I'm trying to figure out things on a extremely tight budget and could not afford bike specific clothing if I wanted to go that route. I hung on to my gore tex jacket, hiking pants and have lite weight hiking shoes with gore tex. I'm very glad I kept it. It came in handy in the Philippines and taking trips to the mountains in northern Luzon I was the only one dry and warm at 7,500 feet.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 12-20-15, 03:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In 12/66 at the SanDiego Navy boot camp, in cotton dungarees on the parade grounds for 'marching up and down the square'
I was not what you would call 'warm' .

and I came there from Nor Cal not tropical Manila, PI.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-20-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 07:56 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I dare say that every DF rider that has bought "lycra cycling shorts" with a dead sheep skin or padding, are buying shorts to protect themselves from their bike.
I dare say you are wrong, as usual you are taking things and twisting them to suit your strange way of thinking.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-20-15, 09:27 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
What is a DF rider?
I'll assume "Diamond Frame"
Old 12-20-15, 11:00 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I've transformed from shaved legs and lycra in my youth to a style combo of Grant P. and Jan H.

This fall I completed a 500 mile tour of Washington State. I've been doing the wool undie thing commuting and on shorter rides, and decided to do a A-B test riding one day with wool undies and a overlayer of REI Zoic shorts bought at a garage sale (no liner) and lycra shorts with same overlayer. Up to about 40 miles I'm fine with the wool, but longer than that the lycra shorts with synthetic chamois (thin, not one of those new diaper types) is a bit more comfortable.

After that, wool socks and a wool t-shirt, with a vented, nylon shirt (Northface or REI Safari shirt) on top, and if it's cool/cold, I add a thin wool sweater.

Commuting 12 miles each way from Portland to Hillsboro in December, 35-45 degree weather and raining recently, a good pair of rain pants keeps me warm. Only if it's raining hard or really cold do I add a rain jacket, otherwise I find the inside of the rain jacket to be very wet from condensation. Jan Heine did a recent write up of avoiding rain jackets when riding hard, even in the rain. Layers of wool will keep you warm and dry, and let the sweat out.

I've been trying to ween myself from clipped in shoes as well. Waterproof, Chrome hightops keep my feet comfy on platform pedals.

Lycra and staying warm is an oxymoron.
Old 12-20-15, 11:11 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Went in the local Goodwill a couple of days ago to look for wool sweaters, did not find any, however they had some very expensive looking suits.The G.W. is located in a very nice neighborhood.
I've found wool sweaters to be more available in the warmer months at the Goodwill.
Old 12-21-15, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed
I'll assume "Diamond Frame"
This is a truth, some of my frames are indeed rare gems.
Old 12-21-15, 01:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, good point sir. thanks
Originally Posted by tyrion
I've found wool sweaters to be more available in the warmer months at the Goodwill.
Old 12-23-15, 10:52 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Went in the local Goodwill a couple of days ago to look for wool sweaters, did not find any, however they had some very expensive looking suits.The G.W. is located in a very nice neighborhood.
eBay.

Cashmere or merino wool sweaters in all sorts of sizes, $20-30 all day long. I spent $55 on three. Two of them are eye-talian.
Old 12-23-15, 11:19 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by erig007
The problem though is that wool sweaters aren't windproof and you will need something windproof with them.
Why do you need windproof? Anything I wear that is windproof makes me feel like I'm riding in a sauna.

I commute bike+train in the morning, 5 miles, then ride 12 miles home. In Portland. December isn't over yet, and already we've broken a 75 year record for rain this month. And it's been cold, high 30's, low 40's while I'm riding isn't uncommon. I wear rain pants and waterproof high top shoes, and underneath everywhere. Unless the rain is coming down hard (and it's uncommonly common this month) wool on wool is just fine.
Old 12-23-15, 11:41 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Years ago Alpine Climbing in the Pacific Northwest wool was the only reasonable solution to the common drizzle and cool temperatures. The introduction of synthetic filled sleeping bags was another great step forward.

Lots of interesting solutions. I guess if money were no object I would be shopping at Rivendell Bikes and going the Grant Peterson route - wool and MUSA clothing. I'll just have to take some of the excellent recommendations and find out what works for me here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Y'all!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 12-24-15, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugie
Why do you need windproof? Anything I wear that is windproof makes me feel like I'm riding in a sauna.

I commute bike+train in the morning, 5 miles, then ride 12 miles home. In Portland. December isn't over yet, and already we've broken a 75 year record for rain this month. And it's been cold, high 30's, low 40's while I'm riding isn't uncommon. I wear rain pants and waterproof high top shoes, and underneath everywhere. Unless the rain is coming down hard (and it's uncommonly common this month) wool on wool is just fine.
Windproof at the front and breathable at the back. Wind resistant everywhere will do too especially at higher temperatures. I find it not as efficient at lower temperatures though as it requires to overdress to compensate the cold that goes through at the front leading to overheating or freezing.
If you're riding at 30F a little bit of wind going through the layers won't be as painful as if you ride at 0F or below.
I guess your solution is just fine for Socal or Portland weather also because a "wet" 30F isn't the same as a "dry" 30F.

Last edited by erig007; 12-24-15 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-24-15, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never thunk of that, thanks
Originally Posted by gugie
eBay.

Cashmere or merino wool sweaters in all sorts of sizes, $20-30 all day long. I spent $55 on three. Two of them are eye-talian.
Old 12-24-15, 02:58 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by erig007
Windproof at the front and breathable at the back. Wind resistant everywhere will do too especially at higher temperatures. I find it not as efficient at lower temperatures though as it requires to overdress to compensate the cold that goes through at the front leading to overheating or freezing.
If you're riding at 30F a little bit of wind going through the layers won't be as painful as if you ride at 0F or below.
I guess your solution is just fine for Socal or Portland weather also because a "wet" 30F isn't the same as a "dry" 30F.
For the first time in several weeks, it was dry, about 35. I've ridden at 23 with two wool sweaters. 0F? I have my limits.

As stated before, you should be a bit chilly when you start riding in cold weather, otherwise you're dressed too warmly. On the way home my hands get cold, even with "lobster claw" winter gloves. Somewhere about 9-10 miles in, my hands warm back up.

If you're getting cold riding, ride harder, generate more heat. If it's cold and you're sweating, you're one short stop away from hypothermia. I've been on rides where I stayed away from the rain jacket, but had my woolie layers stacked up, but it just kept coming down harder and harder, and got soaked. I find that if I keep going, once you get soaked, that layer next to your skin stays relatively warm - wetsuits operate that way, if the layer is thick enough, you're gold.

Here I am on a bike trip in the Sierras last year.

I'm soaked in this picture. A few miles later I changed into winter gloves. A mile after that it started hailing, and the temperature dropped to where we could see our breath. My buddy had a rain jacket on, and nearly got hypothermia. I stayed warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hebron pass.jpg (87.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by gugie; 12-24-15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 01:12 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
When I was a college student doing my easy 3-mile bike commutes, I had civilian clothes for riding, including in temperatures < 20F. My baselayer was probably a cotton mock turtleneck; over it I wore a oiled wool Danish seaman's turtleneck sweater; on top was a snorkel parka. Big leather work gloves. Just blue jeans and sneakers and knee socks on the bottom. That gorgeous sweater and coat had to come off immediately when I got indoors as it was seriously warm.

I finish plenty of rides with chain grease on my calves and hands despite keeping the drivetrain quite clean. Pick clothes where you don't mind the stains and/or you can clean them off the fabric without damaging it.