Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hall of Shame Moment

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hall of Shame Moment

Old 01-06-16, 12:00 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I won't go into the "Hall of Shame Moment". Being 65+ I figure that with a VO2 Max of 61.3, I have no reason to be shamed. I may not be as fast as I once was, but I can be fast once as I ever was, going down hill! I would love to be were I would have been if I hadn't given up riding in my mid 20's. I went 30 years without riding and then started up again in 2008. It has been a slow road but I am better now than I was 30 years ago, just not 45 years ago!

I am my own competition and that is good enough. My shame, if I have any, is not to have taken advantage of a ride when it was available.
Old 01-06-16, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not the price of the bike that matters.....it is the condition of the motor.

It seems like every organized ride I go on, I have a bunch of riders, young and old, who fly by me like am riding for the first time. While I am working to correct that issue, it can be depressing at times.
Old 01-06-16, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Moments of shame are relative, I guess. This fall I was 70 miles into a century when a couple of young pups slowly drew past me. As they pulled ahead, one of them remarked, "Good job!"

I thought, "if I was doing a good job, you'd never have caught me!" But I wasn't willing to push any harder so I just mustered up the cheeriest "thanks!" that I could manage. I need to train harder next year! Well, that and ride the wonderbike more.
Old 01-06-16, 03:53 PM
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
My wife and I are a typical 67 yo couple and ride a DaVinci design tandem with a 500 watt front hub motor. The motor is very stealth so unless you really payed attention, you would never see it. We can easily maintain 20+ mph for up to 25 miles. Steep up hill grades with both of us pedaling moderately hard, we can maintain 8 mph without really breaking much of a sweat.

I know we've probably caused a few nervous breakdowns with the "younger" set.
Old 01-06-16, 08:19 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
[QUOTE=BlazingPedals;18439663]Moments of shame are relative, I guess. This fall I was 70 miles into a century when a couple of young pups slowly drew past me. As they pulled ahead, one of them remarked, "Good job!"

I thought, "if I was doing a good job, you'd never have caught me!" But I wasn't willing to push any harder so I just mustered up the cheeriest "thanks!" that I could manage. I need totrain harder next year! Well, that and ride the wonderbike more

At least they were polite, and encouraging, BP, I know some young riders that take advantage of these situations to say something low, or worse. But, best of luck with this year's training, and go ahead and ride Wonderbike, its worth it to see the look on their faces when you cruise past on the spaceship.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-07-16, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just remembered another situation I had a few years back on my first organized ride. While approaching the final rest stop I followed my riding habit of releasing my left leg from the pedal clip. While slowing the bike to a stop I noticed my bike began to lean to the right and not the left as planned. Having no time to correct the issue, I rolled on my back and ended with the bike wheels facing up. With exception to a bruised ego, nothing else was harmed. As a crowd was quickly gathering to see if I was okay, the only thing I could think to say was; "And this ladies and gentlemen is how you should not dismount your bicycle."
Old 01-07-16, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Babble
I just remembered another situation I had a few years back on my first organized ride. While approaching the final rest stop I followed my riding habit of releasing my left leg from the pedal clip. While slowing the bike to a stop I noticed my bike began to lean to the right and not the left as planned. Having no time to correct the issue, I rolled on my back and ended with the bike wheels facing up. With exception to a bruised ego, nothing else was harmed. As a crowd was quickly gathering to see if I was okay, the only thing I could think to say was; "And this ladies and gentlemen is how you should not dismount your bicycle."
Old 01-08-16, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
LOL! becoming a member of Club Tombay isn't a moment of shame, it's a rite of passage!
Old 01-15-16, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
What an embarrassment!

The other day I was out on a 50 mile ride over one of the many routes I ride. I was on a flat stretch about 15 miles into the ride. The segment was riding west to the oceanfront. There is almost always a moderate to heavy head wind on that particular stretch. I covered the section averaging 16.5 MPH with a max speed of 18.3 MPH. I was a quarter of the way into the segment when a young guy, (I’m 70), passed me on his road bike. Normally, such events by fit younger road cyclists are expected and reoccurring. But…this guy was pulling his toddler or infant kid in some two wheeled baby carriage tied by a cable to the back of his bike. After passing me he constantly pulled away the rest of the segment.

A hall of shame moment.
That story reminds me of 5K race that involved a pretty steep bridge,, I was running with my friend James and we were on top of the bridge, all of a sudden we hear the slap of running shoes coming up behind us , when we looked, there was this woman pushing her baby in a stroller passing us up, I couldn't believe it , at the time I was running 5K's in about 23-25 minuits,,, another moment of Shame,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-15-16, 10:19 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I guess I am lucky, I feel no shame when riding. I fully expect that someone faster will come along eventually and pass me. However, that guy with the trailer shows up on my mountain bike trail I am buying him a beer!
Old 01-15-16, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Probably had a setup that allowed the toddler to pedal.
Or had Cancellara-enginered motor.
Old 01-16-16, 08:42 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I fell In behind the local Hot shoe heading Into the trail system, It was the 2 mile double track from the trail head that gets us out to the true single track sections.
He was moving right along and I was at a respectful distance behind him and His three team mates, about 150 feet back, they were making me work.
I've gotten behind them before and the two miles In is the warm up, I was quite pleased with my self as they are less than half my age.

I lost them In the single tracks, hey they are far more skilled and all that,

Then at rides end I check my Strava, showed me riding plus 1,, LOL and It was the team leader on Strava, cool beans right ?

Then Later that day I took a look at the Leaders Ride on Strava,, They rode from the bike shop, about 15 miles away and I fell In behind them on their third lap around the park, each lap Is about 15 miles.

So,,I fell In behind them at about mile 40.... Ahh To Be Young Again ~~~~
Old 01-16-16, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Giant Revolt, Specialized Diverge, Jamis Dragon 29, Giant XTC, Giant Defy 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One time ago riding up a steep fire road with my mountain biking buddy, we were swiftly over token but 2 female joggers (and good looking too). Can't catch with them on the climb no matter how hard we pedal and we felt embarrassed but laughed it off. On the downhill, we easily passed them and let them eat our dust LOL. But the Hall of Shame still stuck on us for good laughs.
Old 01-17-16, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
I feel no shame when I'm riding. Only when I should be riding...