Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Hernia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernia

I have recently developed a Hernia, just thought I'd let you know.

No seriously, any of you people out there suffered with this complaint? Did you continue cycling? I have been referred to a consultant with a view to surgery, anyone had this surgery recently? Does it heal quickly? Are there alternate methods of treatment?
    Hernia, now that does make me feel old!!!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had serveral hernias. In 1993 I cycled the Oregin coast with one on each side and had them repaired after I got back. Had a re-occurrence on the left side and had that repaired and less than a year later, there it was again. Have not had it repaired yet and I still cycle. The first repairs were done with local anesthesia the last time a general. I was told to stay off the bike for 6 weeks, but was back on in four. There are new procedures where they don't have to make a big incision, at least that's what me doctor told me when last I saw him 7-8 years ago. As long as it doen not get any bigger, I'm not doing anything about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy
    I have recently developed a Hernia, just thought I'd let you know.

No seriously, any of you people out there suffered with this complaint? Did you continue cycling? I have been referred to a consultant with a view to surgery, anyone had this surgery recently? Does it heal quickly? Are there alternate methods of treatment?
    Hernia, now that does make me feel old!!!!
    Hernia and age are NOT synonymous. It has more to do with the structure of your body.

I "kept" one for several years, but finally had it repaired.

I used a local anesthetic, and the surgery was MUCH more complicated than they suspected. I believe it was what they call a "sliding" hernia. I wanted a mirror so I could see what was going on, but they refused! It was more painful due to the complications, and the surgeon said he would never do one under "local" again!

Anyway, I had it repaired, went home the same day, and have had no recurrence. Wish I had done it earlier. This was about 30 years ago.

My Bikes
    Raleigh and Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one all of last year,still rode,but by August it had stangled on me and I was rush to hospital for surgery. Doctor repiared it with weave type patch and sent me home same day. Am now back to cycling and just completed 40 miles of hilly dirt roads on my MTBike today....
    2012 is coming - What will you be doing?