Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wish I was wearing a helmet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wish I was wearing a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 05:15 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Years ago on Tuesday Night Fights Sean O'grady...
Yup, I remember Sean well. Talented boxer, unfortunately mismanaged by his father, and tossed into the deep end of the pool a bit too early against Danny Lopez. I'm glad Sean retired young with his noggin intact, he's a smart guy, charming fellow and good commentator.

Dads should never manage their own sons in boxing. Too difficult to be objective and impersonal when necessary. Between amateur and pro father/son boxing teams I've personally known locally, and a few notable other pro teams like Roy Jones Jr., it rarely works out for the best. Unlike most such misbegotten teams, RJJ internalized his personal conflict and seemed to take it out on himself rather than on others, pushing his career almost to the point of unrecoverable head injury with too many frightening knockouts well beyond when he should have retired.

Pardon the digression...

Anyway, serious head injuries involving subdural hematomas and other complications rarely involve unusual pain, or any pain at all in some cases. That's what makes them so tricky. And the nature of the concussion is to mislead the victim into failing to recognize the potential danger, often because they forget what happened -- either the immediate impact, and sometimes the entire incident.

Another notable recent case is the decorated former Marine who was assaulted at a Washington DC McDonalds by a gang of thugs. According to some reports he didn't even realize he'd been hit from behind and knocked out until later when he returned to the restaurant to ask what happened and watched the video recording. As a result of his varying stories -- perfectly understandable if you know how concussions and head impacts work -- some armchair internet experts concluded he was lying about some of the incident. But the newly released video corroborates the incident.

Despite all this, I've had a heckuva time convincing family, friends and neighbors to get themselves medically examined after falls and head knocks. They just don't want to believe it can be serious. The one exception was my mom, who's never been the same after a 2006 fall in her bathroom and concussion. Even the hospital mismanaged the incident, releasing her within a couple of hours without doing some very basic stuff to determine whether she was oriented enough to go home alone. Fortunately I met her at the hospital just as she was being wheeled out to the sidewalk and abandoned by the ER staff. They hadn't even bothered to see if she had a way to get home, or was oriented enough to navigate the bus or taxi alone.

That's why I keep strongly recommending that cyclists and amateur/recreational athletes of all kinds should discuss this stuff with family and friends, so they'll know to take informed decisions in case we're in an accident.
Old 02-18-16, 07:19 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I think a few of you need to fight it out. But, clearly some will see a doctor afterwards and some won't....

Old 02-18-16, 07:23 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is there any kind of injury, bump, bruise or boo-boo; or any minimum degree of injury severity that you would not see a doctor for confirmation that you really are OK ?
If you will take time from your criticism of everything you might notice I deleted my post. Sad so sad. After 16 major surgeries, having Parkinson's Disease now, and more complications from things than I can count, I really do not care one whit what you think about anything. Have fun criticizing everyone, it seems to be your pass time.
Old 02-18-16, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My wife is with me. She just got off the phone with my insurance agent upping my life insurance.
HA! What a gal!

Old 02-18-16, 07:47 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Circling the bowl.....