Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many times have you watched "Breaking Away"?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How many times have you watched "Breaking Away"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
3 or 4 times.
I first saw it August 17, 1979. I had just finished a cross country tour from San Francisco to Washington DC. I and my touring companion went to see the movie as part of our celebration. I also was racing in USCF and knew through Velonews that John Vande Velde and Peter Lazzare(sp) had been involved in a film project. I was pretty excited to see it, up until then there hadn't been a modern era film featuring bicycle racing other than the foreign films at the art theaters.

I liked America Flyers better. mostly because Rae Dawn Chong was so hot!
While Rae Dawn Chong looked good, it was Alexandra Paul that really caught my attention.

I liked Breaking Away, especially the characters, but I liked the story and cycling better in American Flyers.

GH
Old 03-02-16, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I once saw Breaking Away in a theater. I left half way through it and asked the manager for a refund. He nearly had a heart attack.
Old 03-02-16, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
While Rae Dawn Chong looked good, it was Alexandra Paul that really caught my attention.

I liked Breaking Away, especially the characters, but I liked the story and cycling better in American Flyers.

GH
Agreed.
But if I need a fast wheel change, I'd let Rae Dawn handle it.

BTW Any Rae Dawn Chong fan needs to see "Quest for Fire".
She looks really good wearing only a layer of mud!

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 03-02-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-02-16, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've probably seen it 5 or 6 times. My wife (who doesn't ride) probably likes it more than I do. But I do like it. I didn't know that "everybody cheats" before that movie came out.
Old 03-02-16, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never watched it.
Old 03-02-16, 05:32 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
I've never watched it.
With a screen name/handle like yours, shouldnt you watch it?
Old 03-02-16, 08:05 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
i once saw breaking away in a theater. I left half way through it and asked the manager for a refund. He nearly had a heart attack.
Refund? Refund? Refund...,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Refund breaking away.jpg (14.3 KB, 20 views)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-02-16, 08:45 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Refund? Refund? Refund...,
too funny!
Old 03-02-16, 09:28 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I own this on DVD, and make other people watch it with me every year. What a great movie!
Old 03-03-16, 07:03 AM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
too funny!
Credit for this goes to Indyfabz, good hook there.

Bill

Old 03-03-16, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wished I would have seen it,,,in 72,,,too late now
Old 03-03-16, 07:28 AM
Semper Fi

Breaking Away came out in '79, difficult to see it in '72 when it hadn't been released.
Old 03-03-16, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With a screen name/handle like yours, shouldnt you watch it?
Being that I stated that I’ve never watched it; how would I know if the movie was in some manner synonymous with my screen name/handle? Even the brief description of the movie’s theme—“A small-town boy obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl”—doesn’t suggest a link between the two.
Old 03-03-16, 12:52 PM

Being that I stated that I’ve never watched it; how would I know if the movie was in some manner synonymous with my screen name/handle? Even the brief description of the movie’s theme—“A small-town boy obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl”—doesn’t suggest a link between the two.
I just saw the irony of your "gnosis" (greek for "to know") and not having seen the movie. Oh well, a swing and miss on my part.
Old 03-03-16, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw the irony of your "gnosis" (greek for "to know") and not having seen the movie. Oh well, a swing and miss on my part.
As a noun, “gnosis” can mean “knowledge of spiritual truths/mysteries.” This is the manner of its usage in my case. I’ll refrain from elaborating as to how the name came to me (trust me, you’d never believe me).

Being that so many people have seen “Breaking Away”, I wouldn’t mind checking it out if I can locate the movie.
Old 03-03-16, 05:01 PM

As a noun, “gnosis” can mean “knowledge of spiritual truths/mysteries.” This is the manner of its usage in my case. I’ll refrain from elaborating as to how the name came to me (trust me, you’d never believe me).

Being that so many people have seen “Breaking Away”, I wouldn’t mind checking it out if I can locate the movie.
Yeah, my greek is pretty rusty.

I need to find American Flyers (with Costner), havent seen that one.
Old 03-03-16, 05:11 PM
Semper Fi

If you'll return the disk to me after you have finished watching it a few times, I'll be more than happy to loan you my copy. Drop me a PM if you would like to watch it. If not, apologies for interrupting things.

And, I don't know what Gnosis means in Greek, Latin, or even Southern red-neck for that matter, just offering.

Bill

Old 03-03-16, 10:44 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Zero.
Old 03-03-16, 11:13 PM

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/br...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

https://play.google.com/store/movies...id=RosTfFAs-XM

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/7888/Breaking-Away
Old 03-04-16, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started watching it but didn't finish. Kind of liked the idea, but it just didn't grab me.

I did recognize a lot of the locations, though. Spent a lot of time in that area as a kid and still go there fairly regularly.
Old 03-04-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Not even once. But then there are a lot of way more popular movies I've never seen either... like not a single Star Wars movie!
When I was in high school, I think a sophomore, we had to read it in play form aloud. Since I was a good speaker I was assigned a part. But I don't remember what character. To this day I have no idea why that play was chosen. Perhaps at that time it was released with critical acclaim or maybe because it was a teenager coming into their own type play. But the year had to be 1979. But the movie release date has it in the summer of 79 and I wasn't in summer school. Was it a book first?
I actually eventually watched it on TV in 86. By then I was actually into riding and thought those bikes looked really out of date. My favorite bike movie has to be American flyers.
But the reason I'm quoting almost trick is cause he hasn't seen star wars. Wow. Stopped me right here didnt read another post.
However back in 1980 my HS girlfriend and I planned to see the blues brothers. So I went to pick her up and she said I have to baby sit my little cousin. I said oh well he can go with us. But that brat didnt want to see blues brothers movie. He wanted to see the empire strikes back. And then I got mad and said no way. I'm not gonna see a dang space movie plus I didn't even see star wars and he'll just have to suffer. She said his mom already paid for the movie and he really wants to see it and we'll see blues brothers later. Then the tears started coming, not from me but from that little brat. So we ended up watching empire strikes back. I was blown away. To this day it's still one of my all time favorite movies. Oh and we went to eat burgers after the movie and turned out that brat had already seen empire strikes back, but I'll always be thankful to him for forcing me to watch it. The end.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-04-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-04-16, 08:34 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
However back in 1980 my HS girlfriend and I planned to see the blues brothers. So I went to pick her up and she said I have to baby sit my little cousin. I said oh well he can go with us. But that brat didnt want to see blues brothers movie. He wanted to see the empire strikes back.
So did you ever get to see The Blues Brothers? (when it was new) I did and also happened to be in Chicago on one of the filming days and got to see streets closed and police cars piled up!

https://youtu.be/LMagP52BWG8
Old 03-04-16, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
So did you ever get to see The Blues Brothers? (when it was new) I did and also happened to be in Chicago on one of the filming days and got to see streets closed and police cars piled up!

https://youtu.be/LMagP52BWG8
One of the weirdest things happened to me and a buddy once evening:

We were passing through Mishawaka IN one Wednesday evening and since we were getting hungry, we picked a random little pizza shop to grab a bite to eat. While we were sitting there waiting for our order, we began to hear "Soul Man" faintly in the distance. Suddenly the front door opened and it became loud and clear as two guys who looked *exactly* like Belushi & Aykroyd, right down to the shades/suits/hats came strolling in. One had a large portable cassette player on his shoulder, from which the music was blaring. They walked up to the counter, picked up their takeout order, and strolled out, with "Soul Man" fading in the distance.
Old 03-04-16, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
American Flyers was hard to watch. It's just awful. Breaking Away is a great movie, won a bunch of awards and us just a well crafted movie. American Flyers is sappy drivel.

Last edited by big chainring; 03-04-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I've lost count, LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.