Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long has it been?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long has it been?

Old 02-29-16, 05:32 PM

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long has it been?

Been away from the site probably since last fall.
Been working on a project that is taking most my free time.
But got some really good news this week.
My last PSA test was 3.0.
Hasn't been that low since I was probably 30.
But the visit would not be without drama.
My urologist is part of a network that is a teaching hospital, so it is not unusual when a student accompanies him.
But when it came time for the "Hands on" part of the visit, I'm not sure how many shades of red I turned when my doctor asked me if she could examine me.
Old 02-29-16, 05:46 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
I was a subject of "grand rounds" for a whole class of dermatologists. It was fun, like flashing them all.

"May we examine your genitals?"

<flash> "Yes you may"
Old 02-29-16, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Serendipity; why, Mrs. Badger was asking me that very question just the other night.
Old 02-29-16, 06:55 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Not for me. Uh-uh.
Old 02-29-16, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yugdlo
My urologist is part of a network that is a teaching hospital, so it is not unusual when a student accompanies him.
But when it came time for the "Hands on" part of the visit, I'm not sure how many shades of red I turned when my doctor asked me if she could examine me.
Drama? Now dat's really funny. You must be an old person..
Old 02-29-16, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
My Doc is a female.
Old 02-29-16, 09:11 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Back five years ago, at age 52, my PSA jumped from 1.2 to 2.5 in only a year. Still well below abnormal or 'high', but that RATE of increase in less than a year made my doc want a retest in six weeks. That one came in at 3.0. Biopsy scheduled. Cancer found in one half of the gland. In the two months between that biopsy and the prostatectomy, the cancer had spread to the whole prostate, and was close to spreading outside. I got lucky.
Old 03-01-16, 12:59 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,767 Times in 2,200 Posts
My doc is a woman too, reminds me I need to schedule an appointment.
Old 03-01-16, 05:36 AM

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
Drama? Now dat's really funny. You must be an old person..
Well. if 40 is the new 19; I'm only 36!
Old 03-01-16, 06:07 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Back five years ago, at age 52, my PSA jumped from 1.2 to 2.5 in only a year. Still well below abnormal or 'high', but that RATE of increase in less than a year made my doc want a retest in six weeks. That one came in at 3.0. Biopsy scheduled. Cancer found in one half of the gland. In the two months between that biopsy and the prostatectomy, the cancer had spread to the whole prostate, and was close to spreading outside. I got lucky.
Good outcome.
Old 03-01-16, 07:35 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I had to have a cystoscopy last year. I was wheeled into the examination room and I had a paper towel placed over my genitals with a hole cut out for my penis, ready for the tube to be inserted.

All the nurses and the doctor were female. Luckily the discomfort made me forget my embarrassment, and the outcome was all positive. I even got to see inside my body on the monitor.
Old 03-01-16, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I even got to see inside my body on the monitor.
I've had that sort of experience as well, except it was during a colonoscopy. As far as doctors go, my doctor's female as well; I prefer having the "hands-on" portion done by female doctors anyway. Their fingers are typically smaller and slimmer than the male doctors' fingers.
Old 03-01-16, 12:04 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
I had to have a cystoscopy last year. I was wheeled into the examination room and I had a paper towel placed over my genitals with a hole cut out for my penis, ready for the tube to be inserted.
Whoa - do NOT Google cystoscopy.

I just shriveled.

<shudder>
Old 03-01-16, 01:20 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts

All the nurses and the doctor were female. Luckily the discomfort made me forget my embarrassment, and the outcome was all positive. I even got to see inside my body on the monitor.
See any graffiti on the inside walls of your bladder? (Killroy was here.)
Old 03-01-16, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
My PSA has been all over the map. My first experience was when I was 43 and had an infection I would not wish on my worst enemy. PSA was 6.5.
Was still that 6 months after the infection was rid of. That was when I had my first biopsy, which was negative.
Since that time, I have had my share of infections and one more biopsy. Again negative. My PSA for the past couple years hovered around 4.1 until last fall and one more infection and a PSA of 11.5.
So after a 2 month run of antibiotics, my PSA of 3 last week was very welcome news.
I guess it is safe to say my arse is always on my mind, and can't stress enough to see your tdoctor regularly. I have had a 6 month love affair with my urologist for 13 years.
Old 03-01-16, 07:27 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yugdlo
Don't be embarrassed. A female doc at the VA found my prostate problem. She referred me to a urologist who diagnosed the problem as fast growing cancer. My PSA was 2.8. Don't be fooled by "low" PSA numbers. Get yourself checked regularly — digital and PSA.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-02-16, 02:25 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Don't be embarrassed. A female doc at the VA found my prostate problem. She referred me to a urologist who diagnosed the problem as fast growing cancer. My PSA was 2.8. Don't be fooled by "low" PSA numbers. Get yourself checked regularly — digital and PSA.
But... but...but.... the 'experts' today tell us not to put much credence in PSA tests.

Bullfarkey!!! Insist that it be done at least once/yr over age 50. My prostate cancer was also fast-growing. Glad I caught it in time. That'll be five years ago.

Bill Bixby, Frank Zappa, Johnny Ramone, and Dan Fogelberg all died in their 50s from Prostate Cancer.
Old 03-10-16, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I've had the "front" of me looked at twice and by two female docs. It was a tad disconcerting since they were both thirty years younger than me, but they asked if I was OK with it and it wasn't that embarrassing. However, a young lady checking my prostate....not sure I'd be comfortable with that. And now that I'm thinking about it.....I think I'll just stop right here.
Old 03-10-16, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I've had the "front" of me looked at twice and by two female docs. It was a tad disconcerting since they were both thirty years younger than me, but they asked if I was OK with it and it wasn't that embarrassing. However, a young lady checking my prostate....not sure I'd be comfortable with that. And now that I'm thinking about it.....I think I'll just stop right here.
But you're quite more okay with having an old guy do that? Huh...I gotta have another beer and think more about this.

Last edited by ltxi; 03-10-16 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 08:35 PM

But you're quite more okay with having an old guy do that? Huh...I gotta have another beer and think more about this.
I take umbrage with whatever it is you're suggesting.
Old 03-11-16, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take umbrage with whatever it is you're suggesting.
T'was humor, of course. Apologize if you really were offended. I just find it odd that folk, even us old ones, would have gender sensitivity issues with doctors.
Old 03-11-16, 06:41 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
Lucky you. I had a female examine me too ... but for a ... uh ... digital exam.

She must have been as uncomfortable about it as I was. Just before she started, she quipped:

"Well at least my finger is smaller."

Old 03-11-16, 07:47 PM

T'was humor, of course. Apologize if you really were offended. I just find it odd that folk, even us old ones, would have gender sensitivity issues with doctors.
Sorry, I knew I should have used a smiley face....humor on my end as well. Ride on!
Old 03-11-16, 08:21 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sorry, I knew I should have used a smiley face....humor on my end as well. Ride on!
Which end? I see what you did there...

I had a digital exam by a female type flight surgeon, for the last flying class 1 I had to take, back in the olden days, I swear her fingers were at least 12" in length. She had her index finger raised as she pulled on the gloves and a smirk on her face when she told me to turn around, bend over and grab my ankles. Never had my tonsils checked from the back side before. Her long fingernails took care of that scratchy place in my throat pretty well though.

Damn, I am due for a finger wave this time, oh well, and the ARNP I see is a female type, urppp.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-11-16, 09:05 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
First woman to have me turn and cough was in Jr. H.S. My PCP had been a very close female friend since the 80's but now that I'm Medicare my doc is a guy.

The PSA number in and of itself is less important than the rate at which it changes. Mine jumped from 11 to 14+ in months with biopsy finally showing Gleason 10 in right side, left only had Gleason 6.

First treatment for the prostate cancer was a bilateral orchiectomy or castration to eliminate the majority production of testosterone AND to increase my aerobar bicycling comfort. A secondary side benefit was the quick 10 pound reduction in weight.

Prostate cancer is the #1 cancer in men. Stay informed and monitored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.