Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Old 03-08-16, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
I'm averaging 4 miles per week, have 45 total miles since early Nov., also expressed as about 79,900 yards, all as swimming in a pool. 2-4 days per week, doing a mile per day in :28 minutes. Gets my HR up into aerobic zone, sometimes over AT.

I maybe have 50 bike miles all winter, it's been cold for road riding here in the NYC area, and too warm of too much snow cover for mt. biking, so the pool,was a good substitute.

Warmer days are are coming though, going to be hard to wean me out of the water.
Old 03-08-16, 09:41 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
65, retired, I ride a solid 2000 miles a year. 90% of my cycling is done May-October. I also weight train.. More so in winter than cycling season.
Old 03-09-16, 01:54 AM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, ”How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?”

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, “I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to.”
Damn it jim, I keep clicking on the notice of my posts having been quoted without realizing it was you putting me in a quote box maze.
Old 03-09-16, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
........And, as a bit of trivia, on the tandem, I've got separate odometers reading off the front and rear wheels, so at a the conclusion of a ride, the difference in the readings must be how much longer the bike got, during the ride.
Is not the discrepancy between the two readings simply due to the different tracking distances performed by the wheels? The front will always track longer than than the rear, thus the great distance. That is unless you are able to ride it backwards.
Old 03-09-16, 06:52 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Is not the discrepancy between the two readings simply due to the different tracking distances performed by the wheels? The front will always track longer than than the rear, thus the great distance. That is unless you are able to ride it backwards.
That's part of it, but there are also variations in tire size (even with "identical" tires), weight distribution, and calibration (the units are not identical).
Old 03-09-16, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Damn it jim, I keep clicking on the notice of my posts having been quoted without realizing it was you putting me in a quote box maze.
Thanks for your quote and reading my post. Fixed it for you. My nested quotes are meant to be read in a linear array, as if a conversation with one person speaking (posting) followed by another, then maybe another one or two. FWIW.

I said, then I said, as @turbo1889 said, and then I commented:

Regards however to my specific style using the quote function, I have described it in previous Forum posts:

…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”
Anything outside a quote box (in the linear array) is my current post.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-09-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
That's part of it, but there are also variations in tire size (even with "identical" tires), weight distribution, and calibration (the units are not identical).
Good point. I think that you should find a long straight hill that you can coast straight down on, to minimize the serpentine motion. Look at the distances recorded on each wheel down the hill, then fudge the setting on the rear computer to make them the same. ie, new Rear Wheel size = current Size * Front distance/Rear Distance.

Then when they're calibrated you could ride around normally and see how much further your front wheel traveled than did your rear wheel. You've somehow gotten me curious about how that turns out.

Last edited by wphamilton; 03-09-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 12:51 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Good point. I think that you should find a long straight hill that you can coast straight down on, to minimize the serpentine motion. Look at the distances recorded on each wheel down the hill, then fudge the setting on the rear computer to make them the same. ie, new Rear Wheel size = current Size * Front distance/Rear Distance.

Then when they're calibrated you could ride around normally and see how much further your front wheel traveled than did your rear wheel. You've somehow gotten me curious about how that turns out.
Well, I've given calibration a reasonable effort, but haven't spent a lot of time on it, either.
In the past, I'd do my best to mark on the floor where the tire was, sit on the bike, roll it forward one rotation and measure that. And there's times when that seemed to be very accurate.
Somehow, that never has worked as well on the tandem (front or back), and I just assumed it because it was only half or 2/3 loaded when I did the test. I've thought about just riding a brevet, then recalibrating each odometer to fit that one ride and see how that works out in the future.
It's kind of a moot point, though, because I associate accuracy with agreement with RideWithGPS, but I'm sure they have some errors cropping in there, too. At least I know the elevation gain measurements are hard to work out, and I would think you'd have some similar issues with distance. And on nearly any ride, there's some sort of once-around-the-parking-lot or turtle-rescue or some other maneuver that's liable to throw a few extra feet in there or there.
Now that I think about it, seems like at least one of my odometers takes circumference in centimeters, not millimeters, so there's less calibration accuracy. But I don't remember which that is.
Old 03-09-16, 02:42 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 682 Posts
I'm still working, but I manage to squeeze in between 100 and 200 miles per week.
I think my statistical "average" is probably 135.
Old 03-09-16, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55 years work 40 hour weeks. Here in Salt Lake City in the winter it's about 100 miles per months Oct thru Feb. 250 miles per month the rest of the year. Main thing that holds me back isn't the weather really, it's the risk of injury. I have super bad feet and suffer with chronic pain, exercise is a must.
Old 03-09-16, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 54. I rode a road bike for a while last summer while recovering from broken ribs from an mtb crash. Did 60ish miles or more a week.
Now that I'm back on my mtb I ride 35-40 miles a week.
Racing season is about to start. Good times ahead.
Old 03-09-16, 04:40 PM

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
56 and just returned to riding. Started with an eMTB. Been logging about 60 miles a week. 3-20's, 2-30's or a 20 and a 40; doesn't matter to me. Just want to keep it at least 60 miles each week while working towards 100% human powered once again. Well, maybe... These eMTB's are a real kick to ride and off-road they power up the climbs like a moutain goat!
Old 03-09-16, 09:58 PM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your quote and reading my post. Fixed it for you. My nested quotes are meant to be read in a linear array, as if a conversation with one person speaking (posting) followed by another, then maybe another one or two. FWIW.

Jim, you just made my day.
Old 03-10-16, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Regards however to my specific style using the quote function, I have described it in previous Forum posts:

…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”
Jim, you just made my day.
You’re welcome.

BTW by way of further explanation, I like to make my posts self-explanatory, as if someone reading from the last post in a thread forward could understand the context of my post, so I include quotes expressing the entire “conversation.” Often for reference I'll even include the title of the thread itself. If I go back to review the post (to find a specific quote by myself or others), I also will recognize the context. Again, FWIW.

Posting has become an avocation for me. Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas [and chit-chat], I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that additional mental stimulation.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

What I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
This reply is written, not just for you, @jfowler85, but in case anybody else is curious.

Originally Posted by Roody
…BTW, off-topic, I have often noticed your clever and helpful use of the forum's quote function. Along with your clear writing style, it makes your posts a delight to read

Originally Posted by yankeefan
…Hey Jim, yeah I can never forget your trademark style of nested quotes.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you have mad quotation skills

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-10-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 10:27 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
I commute about 37 miles 5 days a week, and typically do about 100 miles on weekends. So I guess that's about 285 per week or so.

Oh, and a still-working 59 year old stiff.

Old 03-13-16, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
9 to 16 miles a week,

But they are Intense Single Track rides mixed with Short punchy climbs that have been known to make me cry in pain and sometimes Intervals that often make me puke.

Hey, It's my way, I like the pain.

The Rewards are the rides where I seek and find the flow~

I stopped tracking the miles of my mid week Recumbent leg burn spin rides,, they are 30 minutes to an hour..
I've thought about this when you are counting mileage just how much of that is coasting downhill? If you only count the mileage where you are actually pumping would be more accurate.
I ride short distances of maybe five miles but in a slower lower gear where I'm spinning more than speeding along covering a lot of ground.
Old 03-14-16, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Age 83. Retired 21 years. Average +/- 100 miles a week year around between single bike and our tandem . . . yup live in soutern Arizona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tour of Utah.jpg (48.5 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg
402420679.jpg (105.9 KB, 344 views)
Old 03-15-16, 01:17 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo47
I've thought about this when you are counting mileage just how much of that is coasting downhill? If you only count the mileage where you are actually pumping would be more accurate.
LOL. What goes down must come up. Climbing the hills costs much more time and energy than is saved by coasting down them.
Old 03-16-16, 01:49 AM

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mid-60s, semiretired as I still teach a few classes at Purdue. Since purchasing a bicycle at Christmas, I've steadily improved, going from 25 miles per week to 135 miles last week. However, on my first ride with clipless pedals on Saturday a car ran through a stop sign where I was on a trail crossing and during the ensuing emergency braking I had trouble getting my right foot out. I pulled up with my foot so hard that I flipped myself and the bike onto my left side on the pavement, cracking my ribs as I drove my elbow into them. It didn't help that I had a lot of extra weight on the bike, including my old crankset, pedals, and hiking boots--I was coming home from my LBS, where I had my crankset and pedals replaced and had just bought my first clipless shoes. In retrospect, the clip tension was way too high for me!
Old 03-16-16, 10:33 AM

Bikes: '01 Univega Modo Vivre, "10 Giant Talon 29, '15 Felt Z85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Closing in on 55. Ride late April thru early Oct. Mostly 15-22 miles on the daily ride and 25-40 on weekends. Did 1700+ last year along with a few trips to the local MB trails. Don't keep track of those miles but its about 8-15 each time, depending on were I go. I'm a freeze baby, despite living in Minnesota, so there is a temp cutoff.
Old 03-16-16, 01:33 PM
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I average about 40 miles a week, but that's my daily commute ride; every day it's four miles there, four miles back. 59 years old, took up biking about 1.5 months ago.
Old 03-16-16, 06:15 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
At 73 my goal mileage is 200 mi per week. Lately I have come up short but end up with miles, spin classes and weight workouts of 12 - 14 hours per week.
Old 03-17-16, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
My wife and I started keeping track of our mileage about 10 years ago.

We have averaged from 3500 to 4500 mile per year. Our passion is touring, and we try to do one multi-month tour every year. In 10 years we have toured close to 16,000 miles in 14 months of touring. We ride almost every weekday to the stores, gym, post office, etc. We also ride regularly for fun and to get ready for our longer rides. My wife's 5-year old bike, her favorite of three she rides, has close to 15,000 miles on it.

The longest ride we completed was in 2007. I was 64 and my wife was in her mid-fifties, when we rode across the U.S. During that ride we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days—Oregon to Boston. That year we exceeded 5,500 miles.

We also have to make time for "cross training" during the ski season!

Last edited by Doug64; 03-18-16 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 02:46 PM
Cycologist

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 66 years old, and I bike 20 miles each outing. I go out, weather permitting, 5 days per week. if it's too cold/hot or raining, I use my peloton for the equivalent miles.
Old 12-15-20, 03:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This fall I have been averaging about 8 hours a week, inside and out. Lately it's been a lot more inside, but it's more focused and productive, so I have actually gotten fitter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.