Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Joining the Steel is Real Contingent

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Joining the Steel is Real Contingent

Old 03-19-16, 03:10 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Hmmm. Let's think.. Can't put fenders on it, won't fit bigger touring tires, can't bring myself to bolt touring racks on a $5K CV climber...
SKS raceblades will fit. And you're not touring all the time...

Last edited by chasm54; 03-19-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 04:54 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
SKS raceblades will fit. And you're not touring all the time...
You are clueless about what fits my riding needs. But I appreciate your need to take potshots and criticize.

Last edited by dbg; 03-19-16 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-19-16, 05:18 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
You are clueless about what fits my riding needs. But I appreciate your need to take potshots and criticize.
LOL. You post about having a bike that rides better than any other you have owned, but that you don't ride. Then you explain this by suggesting, inaccurately, that it won't take fenders. Then you get upset when the oddity of this is pointed out.

I don't give a fig what you ride. But if you're too thin-skinned to tolerate people commenting on your idiosyncracies, don't advertise them.
Old 03-19-16, 07:42 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 6,319 Times in 3,658 Posts
Hey guys. Let's keep this civil and on topic.

Old 03-19-16, 11:25 PM

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that most of the bikes referenced here are CV road bikes, and a few modern steel counterparts. That said, steel is enjoying a resurgence in the mountain bike world for hardtails. The bike I built last winter was a modern ChoMo frame. It cuts down chatter, and is compliant as much as can be expected for the trail duty I ask it to perform. Still, I have an aluminum full suspension mountain bike that is a wonderful bike, and aluminum is a great choice for how I ride it. Now my road oriented bikes are Ti and carbon of which I prefer the ride of the carbon more. A lot of that may be due to other factors other them material, but I still like the carbon enough that the Ti bike may go up for sale. If I sell it I want to replace it with something different. A steel road/ touring bike, who knows?
Old 03-20-16, 05:12 AM

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Since this is the "old guy" forum, here's a long winded steel related question:

When buying a bike on a budget a few years back, I was lucky enough to get a lugged/brazed Italian (Atala, circa late 60-early 70's). Research says that company used hi-ten steel back then, not chro-mo. Lucky, because I found the ride quality much nicer than my aluminum MTB to commuter conversion.

During the rebuild I took care to wipe the inside of the framing with a tenacious oil. Chainstays and seatstays had to be sprayed through the weep holes. The outside was primed and rattle canned, and constantly is touched-up to cover usage nicks/scrapes/scratches.

Currently in my mid sixties, can I expect this frame to last for (hopefully) another twenty years? Of course barring catastrophic impacts.....I can play bunny hop and endo guy on the other bike!

These oldies are getting more scarce, I'd hate to try to find another....but it does ride so sweetly!
Old 03-20-16, 07:22 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
Since this is the "old guy" forum, here's a long winded steel related question:

When buying a bike on a budget a few years back, I was lucky enough to get a lugged/brazed Italian (Atala, circa late 60-early 70's). Research says that company used hi-ten steel back then, not chro-mo. Lucky, because I found the ride quality much nicer than my aluminum MTB to commuter conversion.

During the rebuild I took care to wipe the inside of the framing with a tenacious oil. Chainstays and seatstays had to be sprayed through the weep holes. The outside was primed and rattle canned, and constantly is touched-up to cover usage nicks/scrapes/scratches.

Currently in my mid sixties, can I expect this frame to last for (hopefully) another twenty years? Of course barring catastrophic impacts.....I can play bunny hop and endo guy on the other...
Yes, steel frames can last indefinitely, if serious corrosion is avoided. I keep my steel bikes off the road when salt is being spread during the winter months. I also never put the bike away after a wet ride without a quick cleaning and wipe down. When I clean the bike, I use plain water in a hand held spray bottle and dish soap on an old towel. I then rinse and dry.

In the winter months and during damp weather I ride a carbon Cyclocross bike with fenders. Having more than one bike and keeing a rain bike reduces maintenance time and keeps me on the road year-round.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-20-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 07:25 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
My steel beauties are inside the house (security and preservation) they will only come out when it's nice.

If you take care of that frame it will get handed down to your grandkids.
Old 03-20-16, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During the last three seasons, following heart surgery, I've done most of my miles on the same route. This is an out and back on a somewhat deteriorated "paved" bike rails-to-trail that rises about 700' out of Duluth. The first two years those miles were split between a modern aluminum frame/carbon fork road bike on 25 mm Continental Gatorskins, and an aluminum Specialized Rockhopper hardtail with Rock-Shox and Schwalbe Big Apples. Last spring I purchased a Raleigh Tamland 1: Reynolds 631 frame and fork with 40mm Clement Xplor MSO's.

In the late 60's I raced on a Raleigh Professional, a Rickert customer made road frame, and after that a Dawes racing frame, but hadn't ridden steel for many years. When I got back on steel, riding the same route, the difference was immediately noticeable. It's a bit subtle, and really most noticeable on rough patches. But for all day riding those little differences add up.

By the way, my Tamland weighs about 25 pounds but I've lost 10 pounds over the winter so I'll now be riding the equivalent (for me) of a 15 pound steel framed bike! I'm now at the same weight I raced at when I was 20, albeit with significantly less muscle mass! Losing ten pounds saved me several thousand dollars of bike weight.
Old 03-20-16, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Reynolds had some good stuff back in the day....

My Gunnar is Reynolds 853. You can still get it, if you are willing to pay the price and wait a little. Local frame builder, Peter Mooney, will make your custom frame from Reynolds, Columbus, or Dedacciai. Whatever you prefer. A co-worker had his built a few years back, and he has never looked back.

Once again, that is a beautiful Trek, made back when Trek was truly special.

Any of you west coaster know anything about Frames made by Brent Steelman?