Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Given Up Their Bike Computer?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone Given Up Their Bike Computer?

Old 03-25-16, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dim
I have the Sigma with cadence function .... it's brilliant. You are supposed to mount/dismount it by rotating left ... read the instructions
There are three manuals. I looked through all of them and the only instructions I see are regarding mounting the computer, clockwise, in the install manual. I don't see any instructions for unmounting the computer however.

Which of the manuals are you referring to?
Old 03-26-16, 10:16 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
While not obsessive about it, I have a tendency to be goal oriented when it comes to mileage. I set a broad annual goal and pedal away. I also like the cadence function as it reminds me not to grind away so much, although my knees have gotten a lot better at that. Speed, heart rate etc. I don't worry about. Although if I'm riding for pie, it must be said, that I speed to but never away.

Last edited by rck; 03-26-16 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to stick one of these on the top of my handlebar stem...does that count?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pACE-981908dt.jpg (43.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-27-16, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I "ride with" six coronary stents. I need to keep track of my heart rate. The Garmin 800 helps me keep track of heart rate plus a few other bits of helpful information.

i must admit, however, that I occassionally leave the Garmin home for a more carefree and fun ride.
When I got back on the road after quadruple bypass surgery 3 years ago, watching my riding data (particularly heart rate) was critically important for a) safety and b) long-term recovery. I've used a Garmin connected to Strava since late 2013. Over the 4,000 miles I've ridden since I can track my progress toward fitness and have been able to do so without any setbacks, injury, or illness. I've been able to reduce my heart meds to the bare minimum and know my re-plumbed and damaged heart is working perfectly. The accumulated data has helped me convince my skeptical spouse to let me enter several gravel races. Data is meaningless unless it is put to use, but it can be incredibly useful when it is.
Old 03-27-16, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 606 Posts
I used one decades ago to log miles, but after a bit, realized logging time was equivalent.
I used a power meter more recently when I was training, but only during specific workouts, not every ride.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-27-16, 11:14 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Always carry my phone In case I need the Paramedics to get me out of the woods,,got signal most of the time, I think...

So at the trail head I turn off the ringer, and Turn on Strava. I bury the phone deep in my Camelbak and go have fun.
At rides end back at the trail head I upload the ride. I still enjoy it when I set a few personal records on sections that I work out on.

Mostly I enjoy those surprise PR's on segments where I was In the zone, the 'Flow' actually, and not poring on the coals.
You see, In Mountain biking It's not always about max watts and max efficiency, It often about the Flow.....
Being smooth and pumping the trail, staying off the brakes and letting go as we fly between the tree's.
Sometimes It reminds me of those childhood days in the swing trying to go higher and higher..

Yeah those surprise PR's are kinda cool...

Last edited by osco53; 03-27-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
While not obsessive about it, I have a tendency to be goal oriented when it comes to mileage. I set a broad annual goal and pedal away. I also like the cadence function as it reminds me not to grind away so much ...
+1
Mileage: In fact my 'broad goals' are linked to next bike purchase - If I reach 5,000km this year and look back with a sense of fun (which I expect) - looking at a titanium bike to celebrate my 70th

Cadence: I have increased my cadence, but still have a tendency to drop below 80 if ignored

Other thoughts re why I use a (refurbished) Garmin 800 :

Heart rate is right up there with 'cadence' as a main driver. Both to monitor it in real time (helps 'pace' me on longer rides; and also helps me interpret whether my 'perceptions' as to effort I am putting out are at variance from the heart rate). Lastly (but not necessarily least) it is used to re-assure the wife that I am not overdoing it.

Distance rides now I have progressed to longer rides (frequently 90+km, occasionally longer, including centuries) I find it useful to help navigate / distance to refreshment break/ find my way home.
Old 03-28-16, 09:29 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame

We've done this one several times over the years, wonder if the search function here will ever work correctly.

Bill
Heck qcpmsame were old we're allowed to forget what we talked about 20 minutes ago not to say several years ago.
Old 03-28-16, 05:30 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Heck qcpmsame were old we're allowed to forget what we talked about 20 minutes ago not to say several years ago.
....what were we talking about?
Old 03-28-16, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smoore
I took my computer off my bike three years ago and don't miss it at all. I really thought I would, but instead I find I enjoy the ride more instead of always being concerned about MPH, miles ridden, average pace, etc. I still wear a wrist watch, so I know how long I've ridden but for me it seems that it's easier to just enjoy the ride and not always be challenging yourself to go faster and longer. I don't find that it makes me complacent and I still try to ride a good pace and keep my RPMs up but just less stress. Crap, another sign that I must be getting old.
Yes. It was hard to do, but I decided that I don't want to know how fast I'm going, my split time etc. It's made for a much more relaxed and enjoyable cycling experience.
Old 03-29-16, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
While not obsessive about it, I have a tendency to be goal oriented when it comes to mileage. I set a broad annual goal and pedal away. I also like the cadence function as it reminds me not to grind away so much, although my knees have gotten a lot better at that. Speed, heart rate etc. I don't worry about. Although if I'm riding for pie, it must be said, that I speed to but never away.

Originally Posted by FamilyMan007
+1
Mileage: In fact my 'broad goals' are linked to next bike purchase - If I reach 5,000km this year and look back with a sense of fun (which I expect) - looking at a titanium bike to celebrate my 70th

Cadence: I have increased my cadence, but still have a tendency to drop below 80 if ignored
Just this morning I posted about my self-designed training program and my use of the cadence function; I call it my "Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine.'

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
... My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding.
I’m a 40+ year cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. During nearly all of my 40 cycling years, my training has been by mileage. This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative, standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), with my own particular adaptation…. I use cadence to choose gears to maintain my desired exertion.

The RPE scale ranges from 6 to 17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about:

RPE = 6, resting... Jim's scale = 10 to 20

RPE = 7, very, very light... Jim's scale = 20 to 30

RPE = 9, very light... Jim's scale = 30 to 40

11, fairly light...50 (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)

13, somewhat hard...60 (I have to focus to maintain)

15, hard...70 (I start breathing hard at about 30 seconds)

17, very hard (lactate threshold; breakpoint between hard but steady
breathing and labored with gasping)...80 (my predicted max HR)

19, very, very hard...90 to 100.
My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%. I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE. Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-29-16 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Never. I've been tracking all of my exercise since I was a runner in my 20s. Not gonna stop now.
Old 03-29-16, 05:27 PM

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I've gone through all the permutations of gadgets and prefer to be gadget free. Just ride the bike.
Old 03-29-16, 05:40 PM
SonsBikes

Bikes: Pinarello Sestriere, Fuji Royale, Club Fuji, Team Fuji, Vitus 979, Bianchi Limited

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Racers count miles, and it makes sense for them, because races are measured by distance. But for anybody else, especially an Unracer, counting miles is discouraging, adds pressure, and takes away fun... Counting days (on the bike) is best..." -Grant Petersen ​Just Ride
Old 03-29-16, 06:21 PM

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by supercycle62
I used to stick one of these on the top of my handlebar stem...does that count?

Hilarious! That was my first cycle computer, too. Then I had one with rpm, speed, distance, etc. Now
I have no computer, just clean handlebars and the view ahead. I like it that way, since the numbers on the ol' computer will never be as high as they once were.
Old 03-29-16, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like others just like the data. Kind of fun to look at it see haw I did. Gives me something to look at when I'm enjoying the cold brew at night chilling thinking about the rides.

Do I need it no is it interesting to me yes.
Old 03-29-16, 07:35 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by SonsBikes
"Racers count miles, and it makes sense for them, because races are measured by distance. But for anybody else, especially an Unracer, counting miles is discouraging, adds pressure, and takes away fun... Counting days (on the bike) is best..." -Grant Petersen ​Just Ride
Oh boy, now you've gone and started a GP tack for this thread. In Coming !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-16, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 4-5 computers over the years. Several years ago I got rid of my last one by pulling it off while riding and throwing it into a corn field. I do like to keep track of distance and some other data so I am considering a GPS based unit but I have not made the decision yet.