Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 03:49 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I am a true bike lover. I have a passion for the bikes as well as for riding bikes.

But whereas I like baggy shorts and a golf or tee shirt on a classic steel bike at times (like out with the wife to get ice cream). I also enjoy the (snobbish) kit and more formalized riding.... as best described in "the rules". Whether shaving a few miles off of driving by running errands on a bike.... or bicycle riding purely recreationally.... it's all fun, its all good.

But don't you DARE not wave back at me!!! (It's a joke)
Agreed. The bikes are a joy (can be) along with the riding!
Old 03-24-16, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Someone posted a funny story about a local racer. He hated when people didn't wave back so sometimes he would turn around, chase them down, and yell "hi" right beside them. He said the faster they were going, the more enjoyment he got.
I could still do that with a lot of folks on a MTB, but they always say hello....

Road bike, not too likely.... (Read as no way)....
Old 03-24-16, 04:29 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Can't be done. On a "normal" bike, speeds of even 10mph will remove said floppy sun hat. They use some sort of magical recumbent physics, because the damn hats aren't even moving in the breeze as they rocket by.

You can equip yourself with one of those safety flags, though. That would be different.
If I could find a safety flag, I'd fly a mariji-hoochie leaf on it. That way folks would know not to ride in front of me, and sometimes they might smoke with me.
Old 03-27-16, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a mixte frame bike and I'm a guy! Imagine how I feel...
Old 03-27-16, 05:48 AM
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercycle62
I ride a mixte frame bike and I'm a guy! Imagine how I feel...
Um...comfortable?

(Rode a mixte frame bike yesterday and loved it...)
Old 03-27-16, 07:33 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dougmon
Um...comfortable?

(Rode a mixte frame bike yesterday and loved it...)
It'll be a lot more comfortable when I swap the drop handlebars for roadster style ones and the appropriate handbrake levers so I can ride in an upright posture. I have already swapped the painful racing seat for a comfy/cushioned springy roadster one. I only paid $20 for the complete bike and all I had to do was put air in the tires and adjust the seat and handlebars and start riding.

Here is the same bike I have with a few "upgrades". c. 1985 SuperCycle Medallist Series II Mixte ? FreeLander Bicycles

Right now it looks just like this but with a different seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VA2642_103_1167.jpg (49.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-27-16, 07:47 AM
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercycle62
It'll be a lot more comfortable when I swap the drop handlebars for roadster style ones and the appropriate handbrake levers so I can ride in an upright posture. I have already swapped the painful racing seat for a comfy/cushioned springy roadster one. I only paid $20 for the complete bike and all I had to do was put air in the tires and adjust the seat and handlebars and start riding.

Here is the same bike I have with a few "upgrades". c. 1985 SuperCycle Medallist Series II Mixte ? FreeLander Bicycles

Right now it looks just like this but with a different seat.
That's really nice. And for only $20? I keep looking for bargains like this; but I live in the San Francisco area, where many people seem to think that their not so great bike is a "collectors item."

Those drop bars do look a little extreme. By "roadster style" handlebars, do you mean something like North Road style? I have Metropolis handlebars on my bike, and I can tell you that they're pretty comfy. The mixte I rode yesterday had what I think was a Sycip Wonder Bar, and it was super comfortable. I hope you post more pics when you're done setting up the bike the way you want it.
Old 03-27-16, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
I see a lot more people worrying about snobs than I've met real life snobs. (yes, there are a few out there, so what)
Same thing with the musician crowd.

Building straw men (straw snobs?) seems to be a national pastime.
+1

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-27-16, 07:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Doesnt snobbery actually all come down to money like most things do? Riding a $10,000 bike fully kitted means the rider has tons of money. If he wants to be a snob so be it. That is his character flaw, and I really am not impressed with his display of cubic money. Actually most people are not impressed. I can assure you that when I am on my bent or trike, I get a lot more attention, and far more comments of "cool bike" than big bucks ever will. Yet the cost of my bent and trike added together is less than $3000.
Old 03-27-16, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Imaginary distinctions.
That's what I think too.

I'm persnickety about every single detail of my personal bikes. I've come to realize that few, if any, others care or even notice.
Old 03-27-16, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Doesnt snobbery actually all come down to money like most things do? Riding a $10,000 bike fully kitted means the rider has tons of money.

you have no idea what a person's financial status is simply based on the MSRP of their ride.

one of the guys I ride with is anything but wealthy and works in a LBS. his $9+K bike was purchased using sizable dealer discounts...he has nowhere near that amount invested. another was given a very expensive bike as a retirement gift from his employer.

it's ironic that you point out 'character flaws,' considering how judgmental you are...thinking you're a better person just because you have less expensive equipment is just an example of reverse snobbery.
Old 03-27-16, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's what I think too.

I'm persnickety about every single detail of my personal bikes. I've come to realize that few, if any, others care or even notice.
Move out to my area, you might get a different experience. For example, I ride my Venge with clip and strap pedals, and I would estimate that I have had over 20 people make some remark about what a waste it is to be riding an aero bike and not have the efficiency of clip less pedals. Or, on my commuter bike I have Reynolds Assault wheels, and I have lost track of the number of people who have said, "Why are you wasting those wheels on that bike...."

I am never upset, and I just ask them a simple question, "why do you care about my bike?"

Given that I ride in an area with a lot of folks with a tremendous amount of disposable income, there are a lot of very high end bikes being ridden, and with that snobbery.

I am a bike lover, and I have great respect for any rider and bike that is loved and ridden. The bike snobs are nothing more than humor for me, and I wish a few more folks could have joined into the fun, versus letting their inner grouch win....
Old 03-27-16, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by FullGas
you have no idea what a person's financial status is simply based on the MSRP of their ride.

one of the guys I ride with is anything but wealthy and works in a LBS. his $9+K bike was purchased using sizable dealer discounts...he has nowhere near that amount invested. another was given a very expensive bike as a retirement gift from his employer.

it's ironic that you point out 'character flaws,' considering how judgmental you are...thinking you're a better person just because you have less expensive equipment is just an example of reverse snobbery.
i posted as you were posting, and I do not mean to imply all high end bikes equal snob, just in case someone wants to read it that way.

Also, I totally agree that there is a reverse snob world out there. Lots of folks bragging about out riding people on super expensive bikes (while they are on their Walmart garage sale bike), catching and passing them (like the other person knew they were in a race). Too many plastic trophies and not enough fake races....
Old 03-27-16, 08:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's really nice. And for only $20? I keep looking for bargains like this; but I live in the San Francisco area, where many people seem to think that their not so great bike is a "collectors item."

Those drop bars do look a little extreme. By "roadster style" handlebars, do you mean something like North Road style? I have Metropolis handlebars on my bike, and I can tell you that they're pretty comfy. The mixte I rode yesterday had what I think was a Sycip Wonder Bar, and it was super comfortable. I hope you post more pics when you're done setting up the bike the way you want it.
Yes, those Metropolis and Northroad bars would work for me. I have an old set of handlebars off an ancient English Dunelt coaster brake bike that may work. I may need a longer stem as well but that can be found easily at our local bike recycle shop for a few bucks. I have done these types of conversions before to old road bikes so it's not that difficult for me. Here is what I would like to have on my bike: https://www.amazon.com/SunLite-Sunlit...FCFJVG6N8HKRG4

As for getting the bike for $20...the young gentlemen who was selling it regretted his asking price after he saw how many emails he got wanting the bike. I just happened to see it a few minutes after he posted it for sale and lived within a 20 min walk to go pick it up. It's in fine shape and the wheels are straight as an arrow. All the components work perfectly. I could easily flip it for $100 as is but I needed a decent bike that wouldn't get stolen for commuting and running errands so this machine will fit the bill nicely. If I ever get a camera I'll certainly post pics of any upgrades I do to the bike for those interested.

Last edited by supercycle62; 03-27-16 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Move out to my area, you might get a different experience.
I wish that you hadn't posted that. That might be happening.
Old 03-27-16, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I wish that you hadn't posted that. That might be happening.
Don't worry, just get used to having comebacks. It is kind of fun. Plus, this is a stunningly beautiful area!
Old 03-27-16, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Only snobites I've ever run into worked in the bike shop. Seems like that's a prerequisite for employment!
Old 03-27-16, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo47
Only snobites I've ever run into worked in the bike shop. Seems like that's a prerequisite for employment!
That is so strange, given up in this corner of the world the bike shops are full of workers that are bike lovers, well at least the ones where I spend money....
Old 03-27-16, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395
people are the same no matter where you go. We all want to be loved, respected, spend our lives doing something worthwhile, and at the end, leave the place better than when we found it.
In the early days of the Katy Trail not everybody thought that it was a good idea. Many of the rural folks, in particular, were against it.

One Saturday morning, before that section of the trail was officially open, Mrs. Grouch and I decided to explore the trail to Defiance MO. on our tandem. As we approached Defiance, Mrs. Grouch had to use the restroom. There was a bar open but we were concerned about what kind of reception we'd get. I told her we could buy something and it would be OK. As we walked in the door the 3 locals sitting on bar stools sang "Daisy, Daisy" to us. I've heard stories, but I haven't worried about anybody that I've encountered on the trail since.
Old 03-27-16, 09:24 AM

isn't it their job to sell you bike stuff?
Old 03-27-16, 11:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know of any bike "snobs" I never really paid attention to things like that. I think anyone who rides a bicycle is cool.

I learned a long time ago that I can get anywhere in my city faster than any public transit vehicle or most cars for free. I am not one to take a "Sunday ride" and use my bike as an important means of transportation and in good weather I use it for commuting and running errands. As a result I learned to maintain them myself (for the most part). A bicycle has always been an important part of my lifestyle. The health benefits have been a bonus. If some folks look down others because of what they ride or where they ride that is their problem. At may age I am just happy to be able to ride anywhere on anything.
Old 03-27-16, 02:07 PM
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have heard stories about this, but I've never been to a bike shop where the people there weren't enthusiastic about bikes and happy to talk about them.

This goes double for my LBS, which I will support for as long as I live here or until the owners change (which I hope doesn't happen.)
Old 03-27-16, 03:37 PM

I have heard stories about this, but I've never been to a bike shop where the people there weren't enthusiastic about bikes and happy to talk about them.

This goes double for my LBS, which I will support for as long as I live here or until the owners change (which I hope doesn't happen.)
I have run into some shops that refuse to work on older bikes, and folks think they are being bike snobs. However, many of them are worried about liability, in more than one sense. That is, if they cannot or do not fix it correctly someone could get injured. Or, they could lose money in labor costs trying repeatedly fix the bike.
Old 03-27-16, 06:03 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I have run into some shops that refuse to work on older bikes, and folks think they are being bike snobs. However, many of them are worried about liability, in more than one sense. That is, if they cannot or do not fix it correctly someone could get injured. Or, they could lose money in labor costs trying repeatedly fix the bike.
A good point.

Luckily, my LBS loves old, vintage, and unusual stuff. In fact, they specialize (pun not intended) in it.
Old 03-27-16, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Doesnt snobbery actually all come down to money like most things do? Riding a $10,000 bike fully kitted means the rider has tons of money. If he wants to be a snob so be it. That is his character flaw, and I really am not impressed with his display of cubic money.
My initial impression is it a person that's a serious rider. Then I check to see if he's on a team. Most people that spend big money do it because they love cycling. Many make big sacrifices and tough spending decisions to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.