Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Now here's a conundrum........

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-24-16, 04:43 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

About two years ago I bought my Guru steel. It's a 55 and that seems to be the correct size for me. Had a couple pro fittings and the bike is set up for me very nicely. When I bought the Guru I had been riding a Masi Gran Criterium S, which is an AL bike with CF forks and rear triangle. The Masi is a 58 and after a fitting many years ago was actually very comfortable as well. I should note that the Guru is fitted with SRAM Red crankset and derailleurs with the rest being Force. The Masi (now 10 yrs. old) is fitted with Dura Ace. So, just for fun, I have taken the Masi on my last two rides and discovered something strange. While I have struggled with a point of discomfort on my right sit bone with the Guru, despite fittings and saddle specific saddle fittings, I do not seem to have that problem with the Masi. What? So, I took a closer look at both bikes. The best I can come up with is the drop from saddle height to bar height. Although both bikes are set for a 93 cm saddle height (saddle to pedal spindle) the drop to bar height is more pronounced on the Guru. I'm thinking that this puts my pelvis in a different rotation and is causing a "hot spot." BTW, yes, I have tried many saddles. For those of us who have the misfortune to own a bike scale, both bikes weigh 16 1/2 lbs without pedals and extras.

My immediate thought was that maybe I should sell the Guru although it is a great bike and I do love riding it. This is compounded by the fact that I recently bought a Colnago World Cup CX and thought maybe I should just get a second wheel set for road use or just throw some road tires on it so I can use it as a back up bike. But, I'm thinking that getting a decent price for the Guru could be a problem. Not really sure what to do or even if I'm asking myself the right questions. Any thoughts about the cause of the initial saddle issue, selling the Guru or the price I might get for it, would be welcomed. TIA.
Old 03-24-16, 05:06 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Raise the bars to equal the drop and problem solved.
Old 03-24-16, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I am thinking about that actually. Have to go to my LBS for a few things and will talk to my fitter guy.
Old 03-24-16, 07:25 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
+1 Always good to have a back up bike, and generally difficult to recoup full price.
Old 03-24-16, 10:14 AM

Just installed a stem that is a tad longer with a "higher" angle. Will see if that works.