Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Seattle

Old 03-27-16, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Seattle

By this time tomorrow I will have been retired for one week. Mrs. Grouch wants to move to Seattle (actually Lynnwood). I'm not so sure.

Seattle would mean developing all new friends, a whole new riding environment, new everything. I don't even know how to throw out the trash in Seattle because there's 3 bins. Also, there would be MAJOR downsizing involved. I'm thinking I'd have to make do with only 1 bike and I'd have to hold a "tool garage sale" for my sons and grand sons. Our Missouri family doesn't want us to go which actually makes me feel pretty good.

On the other hand, we have 3 grand kids in Seattle who are all unusually smart and who are all unusually needy. My daughter and blind son-in-law are in over their heads. I really would enjoy some one-on-one time with the grand kids, particularly the middle school boy who loves bicycling.

I thought that retirement would make life simpler.
Old 03-27-16, 08:47 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Lynnwood is not Seattle.

Once we get past that, and the garbage cans, this area is great.

Fight for two bikes, though, because we have awesome MTBing out here.
Old 03-27-16, 08:50 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Only if you have no family
Old 03-27-16, 08:53 AM
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm only thinking about retirement right now, and more I think, the more complex it gets. Especially the downsizing part -- after living in the same place for more than 20 years, the amount of stuff you have that you don't need -- it's huge.
Old 03-27-16, 08:54 AM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
A move seems kinda drastic, why not an extended visit?
Old 03-27-16, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Fight for two bikes, though, because we have awesome MTBing out here.
Doubt I'm going to need a mountain bike - at least not a real mountain bike. Retro Grouch has broken too many things for him to huck the singletrack anymore. 2 bikes for me would be one of my SWB recumbents and my venerable Marin rigid fork beater bike. Can't decide which SWB. The Retro Rocket has wider tires for the crushed limestone Katy Trail, and is designed for more leisurely riding. The Retro Racket has a Chris King rear hub and is definitely faster on pavement.
Old 03-27-16, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick

Only if you have no family
This board needs a thumbs up button.
Old 03-27-16, 09:09 AM

Doubt I'm going to need a mountain bike - at least not a real mountain bike. Retro Grouch has broken too many things for him to huck the singletrack anymore. 2 bikes for me would be one of my SWB recumbents and my venerable Marin rigid fork beater bike. Can't decide which SWB. The Retro Rocket has wider tires for the crushed limestone Katy Trail, and is designed for more leisurely riding. The Retro Racket has a Chris King rear hub and is definitely faster on pavement.
How close are you planning on living from the kids? If you could be 10 ish miles away, you could live next to the Burke Gilman trail. However, you would need to plan for non-traffic driving times. Traffic can be tough around here.
Old 03-27-16, 09:20 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
The cycling scene here is great. We have the largest cycling club in the US: www.cascade.org. Have a look - multiple free group rides every day plus many event rides. And that's just one club. There are several in the area: RCC (Redmond Cycling Club), COGS (Cyclists of Greater Seattle), SIR (Seattle International Randonneurs), B.I.K.E.S. Club of Snohomish County. Seattle and other local cities have master bike plans in place to improve road conditions for cyclists. There are lots of rural, low traffic roads, and yes, hills. Redmond is particularly popular with cyclists as it's closest to rural areas.
Old 03-27-16, 09:42 AM

How close are you planning on living from the kids? If you could be 10 ish miles away, you could live next to the Burke Gilman trail. However, you would need to plan for non-traffic driving times. Traffic can be tough around here.
One of the apartment complexes that we've looked into is right on some paved trail that's adjacent to I-5. It's only around 3 miles from their house. Another complex is around 5 miles from their house and is adjacent to some trail but I don't know the name. That part sounds good to me. The 700 sq ft apartment with limited storage part doesn't appeal to me at all.

The roads to their house look do-able to me but a little iffy during high traffic times. More rolling hilly than I'm used to but nothing that I couldn't manage.
Old 03-27-16, 10:10 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Get ready for grey - we have more than 50 shades.
Hey, once you start this moving around the country thing - it gets mentally easier after the 1st, for subsequent moves. California, Nevada, Missouri, Washington. We may be chasing toward a daughter in Portland, OR soon. Or an 80 year old father in Grand Junction, CO.

Hold on to roots or get ready to be blown by the wind. I'm the windy type.

edit: 2 bikes, good boots and a kayak (seaworthy) and you are set to teach those grandkids about the wonders of the area around where they live. Kayak with the orcas just off the shore from Lynnwood area.

Can't say enough good about PNW in general - except Puget Sound traffic and crowded roads. The local cycling around Wildwood, MO was better than here (IMHO). Hiking the Cascades is glory-full. No summer swelter.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-27-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
I lived there for 40+ years (born and raised), and there's a lot to like about the Seattle area, the cost of living isn't one of them.

Seattle used to be pretty bike friendly, but based on my last trip up there, I'd doubt that it's as friendly as it was 30 or 40 yrs ago.

Buy breathable rain gear, buy good sun glasses.

If you decide it's too wet to ride in the wet season, do what I did, learn to ski and fish. Putting a fresh salmon or steelhead on the dinner table is at least as good a substitution for not riding.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-27-16 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 01:27 PM

One of the apartment complexes that we've looked into is right on some paved trail that's adjacent to I-5. It's only around 3 miles from their house. Another complex is around 5 miles from their house and is adjacent to some trail but I don't know the name. That part sounds good to me. The 700 sq ft apartment with limited storage part doesn't appeal to me at all.

The roads to their house look do-able to me but a little iffy during high traffic times. More rolling hilly than I'm used to but nothing that I couldn't manage.
would you consider a storage unit to keep some stuff in? For under $100 per month you and the misses could keep a lot of extra stuff out of the apartment. Just a thought, and a place for an extra bike!!!
Old 03-27-16, 02:00 PM

would you consider a storage unit to keep some stuff in? For under $100 per month you and the misses could keep a lot of extra stuff out of the apartment. Just a thought, and a place for an extra bike!!!
May buy a used panel van and park it in the complex parking lot. Doesn't even have to run as long as it's license-able.
Old 03-27-16, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
If you're satisfied in your comfort zone then stay where you are. If you want to stretch your "comfort zone" (isn't that what they're meant for?), then move to Lynnwood. Looking at all the logistics, in the beginning, seems daunting, but if you break it into smaller steps it's totally doable. Regarding a small apartment....move here then once you learn the area, etc. move to a different place you like better.

As far as "stuff"? It's easy, in our society, to become "attached" to things...hard physical objects. It's not so easy to become detatched either. Studies on happiness report that it's the experiences we have, not so much the material possessions. It sounds, like either way, you'll be rich with family. It could be the opening to a life you've never known. An adventure.

Edit: just heard a story last Friday on NPR regarding small towns in Washington who are encouraging fat biking in the snow for income for the town. They have a special piece on the ski track groomer that grooms a seperate track meant for fat bikes. Also due to changes in the climate, when there is no snow, the snow park places are getting into fat biking for income.

Here's the link to the story:
https://ijpr.org/post/fat-bikes-gain-...ort-0#stream/0

Last edited by Velocivixen; 03-27-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Holding steady at N

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the apartment complexes that we've looked into is right on some paved trail that's adjacent to I-5. It's only around 3 miles from their house.
That's the Interurban North, which runs from Everett to Shoreline, where it turns into roads in Seattle. It doesn't hook up with any other trails. I've honestly never gotten around to riding it so I can't given an opinion.

Another complex is around 5 miles from their house and is adjacent to some trail but I don't know the name. That part sounds good to me. The 700 sq ft apartment with limited storage part doesn't appeal to me at all.
I'm not sure about this one. It might be a section of the Interurban or a short paved trail that hooks up with it.

I lived in Lynnwood for several months (in the not-so-nice section of Picnic Point along Aurora/99). I didn't find Lynnwood bike-friendly, but I didn't explore as much as I should have when I lived there. Do you prefer paved trails (especially with kids)? There are a ton if you're willing to drive a bit. There are a few trails that connect in a way that makes it possible to ride from the Sound, around Lake Washington, to Lake Sammamish mostly on paved, separated trails. There's also a very active community of cyclists with kids that can help you with route planning.

While I don't know your situation, I will say this: I got rid of about 75% of what I owned when I moved here. It was difficult for me, but once I got settled I felt really liberated. I found the cultural and weather adjustment difficult, but after several years I love it here and would hate to move elsewhere. Cost of living is a real problem, but less so the further you get from the city.
Old 03-27-16, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It exists:

Two things:

A happy wife is a happy life. If Mrs RG says so...

And adventure is one of the spices of life. Do the research, set out a plan with a realistic time scale, and go for it.

You thought you had retired, Ha! You"ll be busier than full-time working for, oh, a year just doing this.
Old 03-27-16, 04:01 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
My mother in law lives on Vashon Island; Seattle and the area around it is beautiful. If you want more space, why not consider living farther away from Seattle?
Old 03-27-16, 04:44 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
As those of us who've slowly downsized our parents' domiciles know, it will happen to us, too. So look at getting rid of stuff as doing your kids a favor. Less stuff is better. Smaller is better as long as you have room for your bikes, trainer, workstand, etc. My wife an I have lived comfortably in 1100 sq. ft. for over 40 years. Most folks who bike around here have automobiles with bike racks, even if they can ride nicely right out their door. There are too many wonderful places to ride around here to be hard-core about not putting the bike on a car.
Old 03-27-16, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I keep hearing that it rains a lot, but the place is packed with young techno-nerd types.
I've also heard that Seattle has some great restaurants.
Old 03-27-16, 06:17 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts

A good friend of mine did the downsizing thing from a big ole Victorian house to a condo with the same issue. He found a garage condo arrangement that allows him to keep his boat there, his bikes, workshop and ski tune bench. He's in hog heaven and, frankly, it sound like a way better man cave than an attached garage.

The thing for me with Seattle is the g*****ss. Nope. That wouldn't work for me.

J.
Old 03-27-16, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose where we now live in 1993, after 32 years of roaming the earth, living and doing business in many places experience, as somewhere I'd most likely be good with living out the rest of my/our life. With 23 years now invested and being embedded in our community there ain't no frigging way I'd consider moving and starting all over again. Your situation, Retro, may be different but I'd at least think long and hard.
Old 03-27-16, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nothing could keep me from living near my grandchildren. If I were you I would be moving ASAP. They're only young for a wee while, and you're not getting any younger yourself. Go west and make some lovely memories for those precocious kids while you still can and they still want to play with you.

Of course, that's easy for me to say. My grandchildren live four miles away and spend at least one day each week playing with me, so no one's asking me to pick up and move across the country.
Old 03-28-16, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ltxi
I chose where we now live in 1993, after 32 years of roaming the earth, living and doing business in many places experience, as somewhere I'd most likely be good with living out the rest of my/our life. With 23 years now invested and being embedded in our community there ain't no frigging way I'd consider moving and starting all over again. Your situation, Retro, may be different but I'd at least think long and hard.
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Nothing could keep me from living near my grandchildren. If I were you I would be moving ASAP. They're only young for a wee while, and you're not getting any younger yourself. Go west and make some lovely memories for those precocious kids while you still can and they still want to play with you.

Of course, that's easy for me to say. My grandchildren live four miles away and spend at least one day each week playing with me, so no one's asking me to pick up and move across the country.
Halfway in between: We have 4 families, with 13 grandchildren and 4 greats all living in the St Peters, Missouri area. We have 3 grandchildren in Lynnwood, Washington but those are the ones with the greatest needs. The first question is: If we were to move, would we be any actual help? Right now we're thinking about driving out for a month or so and bringing some bikes with us. That's an expense, but not nearly as bad as making a poorly advised move. I'm thinking bicycling in Washington would be more pleasant than Missouri during July and August.
Old 03-28-16, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Halfway in between: We have 4 families, with 13 grandchildren and 4 greats all living in the St Peters, Missouri area. We have 3 grandchildren in Lynnwood, Washington but those are the ones with the greatest needs. The first question is: If we were to move, would we be any actual help? Right now we're thinking about driving out for a month or so and bringing some bikes with us. That's an expense, but not nearly as bad as making a poorly advised move. I'm thinking bicycling in Washington would be more pleasant than Missouri during July and August.
Without a doubt!

I think that go for an extended visit first bit is a great idea. And if you do, please follow up post about it.

Last edited by ltxi; 03-28-16 at 04:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.