Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling shorts from Bontrager-Did I buy the wrong ones?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-29-16, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday I bought a pair of Bontrager cycling shorts for my road cycling. This is the third pair of shorts I have bought. The first was Bontrager the second was Pearl Izumi and these new ones are Bontrager. I found that even though the Pearl Izumi were more expensive they were not as comfortable as the Bontrager. So when I tried the new pair on I was very happy with how they felt. The padding is smoother than the Pearl Izumi. However......when I got them home I saw on the label that they are called "liner" shorts, to be worn under more regular baggy shorts. Guess I will call tomorrow and find out what I can do. The LBS had very few, in fact, this was the only pair of Bontrager road bike shorts in Large that they had. I saw no difference until I looked at the seams and saw that they were not as smooth as my previous ones. They felt great though and I thought looked good. They are actually named, "Cirrus Liner Shorts"
Old 03-30-16, 02:17 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Rest easy - your shorts have a liner with a chamois-like material Trek which has named "Cirrus." You do indeed have a pair of bike shorts.
Old 03-30-16, 05:00 AM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I ended up with two of those, and no regrets.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 03-30-16, 04:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
If you are looking for a pair of standard lycra bike shorts (I use Pearl Izumi Attack shorts) liner shorts aren't them. I have a couple of pairs of liner shorts for mt biking, they're lighter than regular bike shorts and are meant to be worn under something more substantial.

My wife got me a pair of liner shorts for Christmas thinking they were regular shorts, she figured out her mistake, and felt bad until I told her I needed a new pair of liner shorts for mtn biking.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-30-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 08:19 PM

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
If you are looking for a pair of standard lycra bike shorts (I use Pearl Izumi Attack shorts) liner shorts aren't them. I have a couple of pairs of liner shorts for mt biking, they're lighter than regular bike shorts and are meant to be worn under something more substantial.

My wife got me a pair of liner shorts for Christmas thinking they were regular shorts, she figured out her mistake, and felt bad until I told her I needed a new pair of liner shorts for mtn biking.
Yeah, I think I am going to take them back. I like doing business with my LBS because they are nice people but can't afford to buy something that is not right. Also, I see they are about half the price online from what I paid. I really need road bike lycra shorts with a nice comfortable smooth padding. Don't do any mountain biking.
Old 03-30-16, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Liners and shorts are two different animals. If you don't want to wear them under something else then, yes take them back.
Old 03-31-16, 01:57 PM

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Took them back today and got a refund, part of which I used to buy a couple of small items I needed. Nice people to deal with.