Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why argue about cost????

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why argue about cost????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 11:00 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People are free to spend however much they want on whatever bike they want however, I still chuckle when I see an overweight ~45 year old guy on a sub 10kg carbon fiber race bike dressed in lycra a size too small. Also, this is exactly where some of the stigma for "cyclists" come from.

However, seeing an overweight 45 year old guy on an old steel trek bombing down the road with legs looking like they're made of steel, that's badass. As most of us have figured out, it's not the bike.

To me it's just a waste of a well engineered product. Just like the guy who buys the brand new 'vette every other year. I feel bad for the BIKE. And yes, I know it's very hard to judge fitness by size, but in general, overweight people are not very high up on the "fitness" list. I've raced (running) guys in high school who LOOKED chubby, but were extremely fast. However, those people all but disappeared in college.

I've personally have never envied a more expensive bike unless it offered something significantly better than my bike and that change is IMPORTANT. I wish I had bought the Tokul 3 instead of the Tokul 2 because it has an air fork. As a very light rider, the coil springs in the Tokul 2 are far too stiff for me, so an air fork would solve this problem. (As would buying the hard to find "soft" springs.) (And just to quell the "you're not riding hard enough" crowd..., I'm regularly outriding the kids and people on $4000-6000 carbon full suspension bikes.) But as for my $1000 road bike? I've never envied a more expensive bike... period. I have no reason to want a more expensive bike. They offer nothing significant over my bike for the riding that I do. Would I be faster on a carbon fiber aero bike? Sure, but who cares, it's going to feel the same to my lungs and heart regardless. As for handling? Unless you're one of the very lucky people to live in an area with mountain roads and switchbacks, you're going straight 95% of the time on your bike. So yeah. No need to buy a bike based on handling for most people.

Comfort and ride quality? Sure, I could see spending a bit more money on that, but that's it.

But I guess I can see where some people are coming from for being out of shape and buying an expensive bike. Cycling slowly is boring. Cycling quickly is an adrenaline rush. In order to cycle quickly, out of shape people need a super expensive bike. So, in order to make cycling fun and exciting, they buy an expensive bike. Hey, if it gets more people on the road, that's great in my book! And it stimulates the economy!

Last edited by corrado33; 04-15-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Some people just like to argue.

They will disagree with whatever for sport, and I'm not sure they mean anything by it, it may be simply a personality type.

As for price, people notice when others spend a lot of money on something ( car, bike, watch, yeti cup!) and judge. I guess its just natural to do this until you get older and don't care anymore, or you've learned through experience that judging others is a zero sum game with no positive outcomes.

As for me, I spend money on the things I like and don't worry about what others are thinking
Old 04-15-16, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Jealousy and envy do strange things to people.
Here's the reason

Originally Posted by Wheever
I had one guy get nasty and judgemental on my thread about wanting new wheels last week.

He kept telling me, over and over, about how I was wasting my money because it wouldn't make me faster than him or some other guy blah blah. He simply couldn't understand that I wanted better wheels to improve my riding experience, and thus my *enjoyment* of riding; and enjoyment is why I ride. That didn't compute, and he kept going on about faster/him/me some other guy/not about the bike, etc etc. It got kind of ugly and a mod came in and gave a warning.

People get strange about other people's money. (I just wanted some recs for carbon disc wheels in my price range, FFS!)
Old 04-15-16, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
For me, it's no fun unless I can buy the parts and build my own. Would that be analogous to "roll your own?" Please note, I'm not trying to hijack the thread with a Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia discussion.
Old 04-15-16, 03:59 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
For me, it's no fun unless I can buy the parts and build my own. Would that be analogous to "roll your own?" Please note, I'm not trying to hijack the thread with a Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia discussion.
Definately a build your own guy. The other, ummmmm not so much.
Old 04-15-16, 04:20 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
My main bikes are from little known makers. But they are good bikes. When people ask about price, I tell them its a brand that Target carries, they cost around $250. Well, I tell that to snobs who are so proud of their Big Name bikes.

It is nice to have my kids raised. I have a couple of bikes that cost more than any of my cars cost before 2000. But I still buy used, all my bikes. I occasionally dress in old sports jerseys on purpose. M role in life is to be a pest.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-15-16, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
In answer to the original question of why people argue about cost, I think it is important to bear a couple of things in mind. The first is that for practically all of us here bikes are an optional. Long gone are the days when I rode a bike because I couldn't afford a car and I hope that is true for everyone else here too. My guess is that even those on this forum who commute regularly by bike do it out of choice. The bike, then, is superfluous, a luxury, a toy. Never mind that I too take cycling seriously and see it as an important element in keeping fit; to non-cyclists it's no different from a tennis racket or a set of golf clubs. The second thing is that we live in a society where, like it or not, success and worth are judged in monetary terms. As a result people are very touchy when it comes to money and to how much one is willing or able to spend on luxury items. For a lot of people having an expensive this or a special that is a sign of success and personal worth. Conversely, not being able to afford the expensive this or special that is an indictment of one's worth. I'm not saying that's how it ought to be, but that that's how a lot of people see the world. Thus the touchiness about how much some people spend on bikes.

I have a suspicion that a lot of us on BF fit into that dynamic, with the difference that we all really like bikes, so as a rule we spend a greater portion of our income and time on bikes. But that doesn't change the fact that we all still live in a money-fixated society.

As for me, my life was up-ended a few years back by the financial crisis. My wife and I both lost our jobs and our retirements and ended up having to move to a different continent (from Italy to the US) and split the family up (my oldest daughter stayed in Italy). Things are going much better now, but my income is still only about half what it was in 2009. In spite of that, since moving to the US I have easily spent over $4000 on bikes. No one has ever said anything negative to me about my bikes. I know there are a lot of folks who can and do spend more on bikes and if I had the means I probably would too. The only thing that irks me, and this is just character, is waste. As mentioned above, it saddens me to see very nice bikes in the hands of people who do not seem to appreciate what they've got. I suppose that makes me something of a bike snob, but I missed out on that thread.
Old 04-15-16, 06:45 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-15-16, 07:07 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have read a couple of folks indicating a bike might be "wasted" if the person riding it is in poor shape. My first question is why does anyone care about another person's bike? Second, how is a bike wasted if it is ridden? Especially if it is loved by its owner?

Given it is unlikely any of us here are TdF worthy, does that mean we cannot buy high end bikes, given it is a waste? If that were true, where would the line be drawn, and by whom?

To me, buy what makes you happy, regardless of price, high or low, regardless of whether or not you can maximize it.

And, to me, it is a bummer that some of the attitudes that I was questioning found there way into this thread.
Old 04-15-16, 07:24 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
ISecond, how is a bike wasted if it is ridden? Especially if it is loved by its owner?
EGGzackly.

The most expensive bike is the one that's not ridden.

For example:
A friend bought a $3000 bike and rode it for less than 1000 miles over 4 years. He then sold it for $1000 which mean it cost him $2/mile.

I purchased a $9,000 bike and in the first year rode it 4500 miles. So after one year my cost is also $2/mile... but i still own it and have 300 miles this year already.

Which bike is cheaper?
Old 04-15-16, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
When I used the word "wasted" I didn't say anything about the shape of the owner. I certainly cannot ride any of my bikes to anything like their full potential. I said nice bikes in the hands of people who don't appreciate them -- who see them merely as status symbols. I agree that it's really none of my business, but it pains me the same way it does to see classic cars blown up for a movie scene. That's just part of my character.
Old 04-15-16, 11:34 PM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever bike someone buys is their own decision, ultimately. My advice to someone would be buy what you can afford without hardship in another other way. Ride for the sheer joy of riding. It's good for your health and well-being. Cycling has been one of my passions since I was a kid. That will never change.

One more thing, I write books on finding happiness and help people figure out what they'd really love to do in life, so, I am not in the business of making people miserable. Ride with a smile!
Old 04-16-16, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheever
I had one guy get nasty and judgemental on my thread about wanting new wheels last week.

He kept telling me, over and over, about how I was wasting my money because it wouldn't make me faster than him or some other guy blah blah. He simply couldn't understand that I wanted better wheels to improve my riding experience, and thus my *enjoyment* of riding; and enjoyment is why I ride. That didn't compute, and he kept going on about faster/him/me some other guy/not about the bike, etc etc. It got kind of ugly and a mod came in and gave a warning.

People get strange about other people's money. (I just wanted some recs for carbon disc wheels in my price range, FFS!)
In all fairness, if you post a thread about wanting new wheels, you are, by definition, inviting input, both negative and positive about your potential purchase. To then complain about a range of opinions after asking for a range of opinions is unfair to the respondents.

I was actually thinking of posting a thread on a potential wheels purchase, but I das and to the man, most everyone stated flatly there was no improvement in performance. And keep in mind, people spend well into four figures for wheels, that quite frankly, will not improve their experience in any discernible way.

Can you explain how a new set of wheels "improve" your riding experience? Lighter wheels are not faster. As a matter of fact, the carbon variant brake considerably worse, to the point of non functionality. That's in dry weather, forget about wet.

If you want better performance in wheels, get a new pair of low rolling resistance tires. That upgrade can make a measurable difference in performance, and it's usually a very affordable upgrade (or replacement when tires are worn).

The performance advantage of lighter wheels is vanishingly small. Maybe the "rude" poster was giving you objective advise?

Last edited by American Euchre; 04-16-16 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frame fit is far and away the most important aspect of my riding experience. You have to get that right before anything else. No amount of money spent makes any difference unless your bicycle fits properly.

As far as getting faster, simple: get fitter. Yes, it obviously requires more work to train properly by putting in more miles, or doing interval training, or changing your eating so you cut out the bad stuff (like beer and carbs and sugar), but that's obviously where the biggest gains come from.

Ordering a new wheel set or lighter saddle or a carbon crank is a lot easier, but the performance gains are close enough to zero to zero to say that they are in fact zero.
Old 04-16-16, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by usatrump
In all fairness, if you post a thread about wanting new wheels, you are, by definition, inviting input, both negative and positive about your potential purchase. To then complain about a range of opinions after asking for a range of opinions is unfair to the respondents.

I was actually thinking of posting a thread on a potential wheels purchase, but I das and to the man, most everyone stated flatly there was no improvement in performance. And keep in mind, people spend well into four figures for wheels, that quite frankly, will not improve their experience in any discernible way.

Can you explain how a new set of wheels "improve" your riding experience? Lighter wheels are not faster. As a matter of fact, the carbon variant brake considerably worse, to the point of non functionality. That's in dry weather, forget about wet.

If you want better performance in wheels, get a new pair of low rolling resistance tires. That upgrade can make a measurable difference in performance, and it's usually a very affordable upgrade (or replacement when tires are worn).

The performance advantage of lighter wheels is vanishingly small. Maybe the "rude" poster was giving you objective advise?
You need to go read the thread to get a full understanding of Wheever's point of view. Performance was one part of his buying reason. There are other intangibles that the opposing poster couldn't grasp. And don't worry, the opposing poster has something of a reputation for being derogatory of other people's plans and ideas.
Old 04-16-16, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
When I used the word "wasted" I didn't say anything about the shape of the owner. I certainly cannot ride any of my bikes to anything like their full potential. I said nice bikes in the hands of people who don't appreciate them -- who see them merely as status symbols. I agree that it's really none of my business, but it pains me the same way it does to see classic cars blown up for a movie scene. That's just part of my character.
Earlier this thread, I posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I replied on this thread candidly, and in the isolation of my own wants to this query about the values of an expensive bike:

Nonetheless, bragging rights are also fun.
I added that last remark to tweak the naysayers that “bike snobs” only buy high-end bikes as conspicuous consumption.
The folks who are bike lovers might be bike snobs some days. Who cares, and we should be able to have a little fun (even if at our own expense).

…You may be right, that “bike lovers” (the have-nots) will become “bike snobs” (the one-percenters, in political parlance), just as the YIPPIEs of the 1960’s and 70’s became the YUPPIEs of the ‘80’s. Just sayin’; one man’s opinion; FWIW.
Old 04-16-16, 06:09 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I love a lot of the new technology and I know that bikes in many significant respects have gotten better. But I like and ride old bikes. And the bikes I like keep getting cheaper, .
Old 04-16-16, 06:24 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
..... I still chuckle when I see an overweight ~45 year old guy on a sub 10kg carbon fiber race bike dressed in lycra a size too small. Also, this is exactly where some of the stigma for "cyclists" come from.

But I guess I can see where some people are coming from for being out of shape and buying an expensive bike. Cycling slowly is boring. Cycling quickly is an adrenaline rush. In order to cycle quickly, out of shape people need a super expensive bike. So, in order to make cycling fun and exciting, they buy an expensive bike. Hey, if it gets more people on the road, that's great in my book! And it stimulates the economy!
I can't disagree with a word you posted. But I see the weight of the cyclist as a completely different and separate factor to the cost of the bicycle.

Obese causing behaviors are more like the addictive actions of drug addicts and alcoholics. Than the actions of the ego centric who draw attention to themselves with pricey glitter. Fat cyclists... are often doing everything they can to deal with a deadly and disabling condition. Maybe some cyclists even accept a weight with a BMI greater than normal. Knowing than other vital stats like blood pressure is kept reasonable through regular exercise.

We see the same with the alcoholic cyclists who roll out of bed on Saturday morning (after a Friday night of heavy drinking) and push through a fast ride. Party hard - play hard. Or if obese it may be eat well - ride fast.... it's all the same. The cycling covers or hides the problem causing an illusion that all is OK...... if from no one other than the cyclist themselves.

But the perfectly healthy cyclist... with a $10,000 bicycle, and a $5000 dollar watch... that isn't the same thing at all.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 04-16-16 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
So, why on earth does anyone care what someone else spent on a bike? I have known bike lovers and bike snobs from both the Walmart bike crowd and the Colnago (et al) crowd. So, why do some people care what others spend on their bikes, both low cost and high cost?
Most of my neighbors are avid hunters, enjoy fishing, and snowmobiling is big up here. They all understand why I might spend a lot on my own passion, and I can't recall ever ending up in an acrimonious discussion on cost.

Now people are curious! Perfectly understandable. Questions on cost are about possibilities. Neighborhood kids are curious because they are just growing up and trying to piece together a view on the world. Knowing that $500 gets you X, and $1000 gets you Y is part of building that picture.

Cost and weight are sometimes used as quick indicators of quality. I've a friend who, the first thing he does whenever I show him a new build, is to heft the bike. For him, it's all about weight. He judges my builds by their weight. Others do the same by cost of the parts.
Old 04-16-16, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago i was debating on buying a mtn. bike. I thought it was to expensive, my wife said go for it.Then one day walking into work i looked at all the Harleys lined up ,rode to work all 20 of them about 40 miles. LOL.That afternoon ordered my Giant XTC and never looked back. I did however try and pull that trick again and the wife said naw baby naw you don't need another bike, so yes i do need someone to keep me in check.

'
Old 04-16-16, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every great idea needs anchor...😘. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 04-16-16, 09:25 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Spend what you want, just don't crow about it because I don't care. I learned a long time ago that performance gain per dollar flattens out quickly.
Old 04-16-16, 09:28 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Well, first off, if he was giving me "objective advice" it was gratuitous because I was *specifically* asking for recommendations for my *very specific* needs in a *very specific* price range. I wasn't asking "do you think I should buy new wheels?" Or, "will lighter wheels make me faster?" Or "do you think new wheels are a good investment?" I was asking if there were any great wheels that fit my specifications that I had missed on considering, before I pulled the trigger. (As it turned out, there was, and finding out about those wheels completely changed the wheels I was leaning towards, and made me hold off my purchase until they are available. These wheels are so interesting and so advanced both in engineering terms and target lightness--if they hit their spec--that they are a game changer for disc wheels. They aren't released yet, but I'm so intrigued that I put my money down so as to get in line.)

Second off, again, riding a bike is a *sensory* experience, and better, lighter wheels add to this. It isn't about "faster", it's about stiffer wheels improving handling, and wider wheels give many benefits and, though overall lighter wheels don't make one "faster", they do spin up more easily, and through that give a *sense* that one is accelerating faster and more easily. (Now, in fact, one is, but in reality not by much, but it is all about *perceived effort* and the overall experience. And contrary to the common wisdom that "once they spin up, all wheels are the same", we on bikes are *always* accelerating against drag and gravity.) And, finally, more aerodynamic wheels have a real, objectively demonstrable effect on aerodynamics and thus speed. And while I don't spend a lot of time over 20mph yet, I will. (I've only been riding a couple of years.)

As I said to the guy who was being such a curmudgeon: I like nice things because I like nice things; Riding for me is as much about taking pleasure in the overall experience as it is about improving my fitness or increasing my speed. That's why I have a nice bike, and a nice saddle, and nice shoes...etc.
Old 04-16-16, 09:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I paid what I thot I could afford for both my LWB bent and my trike. I got exactly what I thot I would for what I paid. I am happy with my decision. OTOH I really dont care what other people paid for their bikes.

BTW would I like to have a custom built titanium LWB bent, Yes, but I cant afford it. Such is life.
Old 04-16-16, 11:00 AM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

All my bicycles are mid-1980s vintage.

I notice a HUGE difference in performance on my MIELE SL frame or SLX frame bikes when I swap out the clincher wheels for the tubular wheelset. Acceleration from a stop is much better, sprinting is easier, hills are easier, and the bicycle just plain seems livelier/more responsive.

I think that's what a lot of bicyclists with new bikes are looking for when they think about swapping wheels.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.